Bigger Tires On a 955 TTC

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 01:21 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gungriffin
Are you using the snows from 2004?

If you are, as tires age they start to get harder and more brittle. Winter tires are designed to have even softer tread pattern than normal tires. You might find that while the 2004 tires are working okay, a new set of tires would be in another league.
I’m putting new tires on tomorrow. BF Goodrich 265/65/18. I’ll post some pics and a review and again once it snows here.

Last edited by jeanmarcboilard; 11-06-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:19 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

Looking forward to seeing the BFG review. I picked up my 18" rims today, same kind as you posted jeanmarc. A few minor scratches but for 450$ a pretty fair deal. They came with Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow's on them, and tried them out today before they get replaced - wow are they awful! Seriously, my bald 22" Nitto NT555R's have more traction in snow. Well, maybe not that bad but after driving all day on them I gladly put my 20" Hankook iCeptors back on, which I used to think sucked, but now have more respect for.

So now to finally decide Duratracs again or the Motomaster AT3, which I figured out are actually Cooper Discoverer ATP's. Has anyone tried the ATP's on a Cayenne? In Alberta style driving (hard packed, or deep, or icy gravel)?
Old 11-06-2017, 07:09 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Well, here they are. Aesthetically, they look amazing. All the technicians were snapping pics as I was leaving the tire shop. They look best at the low level suspension setting since the gap between the tire and the arch is the most uniform all around. The pics are of various heights.
Initially I couldn’t get the tires to rub, at any of the 3 driving settings, while slowly driving in a parking lot with full turns on the wheel. Later, I did hear some rubbing as I reversed out of my driveway, 3/4 wheel turn, with a bit of a bump up and down. I’ll have to play around a bit more to see what conditions causes the rubbing and maybe shave the liners if I have to.
The ride quality is better than I expected. I’ve never had an all terrain tire so I was expecting to feel the tread but it is very smooth. Overall, I’m very happy with them so far, now bring on the snow.
Attached Images      
Old 11-06-2017, 07:27 PM
big-boss
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you for the effort of putting the pictures together. Great choice. I am going to due the same set up.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:31 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Looks great! Now that is a close fit; good they only have minimal rubbing.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:32 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Zakowsky, what size spacers do you have that you could try with these wheels? It looks like spacers might eliminate any rubbing and also pushing the wheels out a bit more would look even better.
I have a few different sizes for my 911, can’t remember exactly which ones, but not a set of 4. I guess I could try different sizes just up front to see what works then order a couple more of those.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:02 PM
Zakowsky
Racer

Actually within about a week I will be able to test the spacers and know for sure. I've been reading way too much about tires, but finally (I think...) decided on Cooper A/TW for Alberta snow plus some off-roading in the summer. I have Duratracs on my Jeep Grand Cherokee and critically tested them out the other day on our hardpacked/icy/sometimes really deep snow here and they are pretty good, but just don't perform quite as well as others I've had. The KO2's are rated higher than the A/TW for ice, but for deep and packed snow like we get here 8 months out of the year the A/TW's get a better rating. Need to stop reading and just go get them, they are on sale at CT for another week.

Anyway they are the exact same size as the KO2's that you have and I am putting them on the same rims, so I will try them with and without the 12mm spacers and see which works better. The spacers work/look great with the 285/35R22's, but with my 275/40R20's with ice tires they kick up a lot of snow onto the side windows even in a straight line. But I will try them and report back.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:22 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

odd that you had rubbing; mine never have. I'll echo your comments about the attention it grabs; the general public is fascinated by a Cayenne with all-terrain tires!

Also I agree on the ride quality. Are they noisier than regular street tires? Yes. Are they loud? No. And honestly, the on-road handling is pretty good, and the comfort over bumps and potholes is so much better than a 20" low-profile tire.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:22 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
The ride quality is better than I expected. I’ve never had an all terrain tire so I was expecting to feel the tread but it is very smooth. Overall, I’m very happy with them so far, now bring on the snow.
Any further thoughts on the KO2's now that you have run them for a bit? I backed out of the Cooper ATW's after looking at the load ratings and seeing how soft the sidewall seems. Waiting for the KO2 to go on sale here; still not sure if they are the best tires for Alberta though. Btw from what I can tell I think the spacers will just make the rubbing worse, because the tire will swing wider when turning. But I still haven't tried it with 265/65R18's

Edit: Has anyone every tried 275/60R18's? I know thin and tall is best for deep stuff, but I like the idea of having a little more width for stopping on ice and off road in the summer, plus the 1/2 inch smaller diameter might keep mud and snow from packing into the intercoolers. Thanks.

Last edited by Zakowsky; 11-13-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:22 PM
Tank_Nine_Eleven
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '08 Cayenne S that I added 2" lift spacers (no air suspension for me) to in order to clear 265/65/R18 BFG K02s. I like the slightly taller profile of the Cayenne now but realize that I probably could have cleared the tires at stock height. The ride is smooth with no rubbing at all. I do see a -3mph difference in my speedo but shifting feels fine.

As for the tires, BFG K02s, I had initial concerns after hearing a lot of chatter about premature wear but so far mine have been good to me. I drive this thing daily and do way more on-road driving than off-road (unfortunately) yet the tread is looking great after about a year of use. They are also very quiet for an off road tire. I've had much louder tires on previous trucks. I do love the grippy sound they make when slowing down to a stop

Sock height with original 255/55/R18 Michellin Tires (Stock wheels were kept and powder coated)

Old 11-13-2017, 07:38 PM
big-boss
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That looks assume.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:43 PM
GreasyV8
Intermediate

That looks great Tank, as do the other pictures in this post!

Just collected some 265/65/18 BFG ko2 for my turbo, can't wait to fit them.

On a side note tank, did your door panels/door surrounds come in black (was that standard after a certain year?) because mine on 03' reg are silver and look pretty rubbish to be honest so I'm looking at plastidipping them gunmetal so I can change if I decide against it.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:13 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Looks amazing! Thanks for posting the shots. My 22"s are black, the 18" are silver...I'm thinking I should paint them before mounting the new tires now.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:56 PM
Tank_Nine_Eleven
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by GreasyV8
That looks great Tank, as do the other pictures in this post!

Just collected some 265/65/18 BFG ko2 for my turbo, can't wait to fit them.

On a side note tank, did your door panels/door surrounds come in black (was that standard after a certain year?) because mine on 03' reg are silver and look pretty rubbish to be honest so I'm looking at plastidipping them gunmetal so I can change if I decide against it.
Thanks! Yes, mine did come with all black trim originally. My 08 is a very basic "S" with minimal options so I think the black trim was just the standard base trim. Which is fine with me since I'd prefer if it even if I had a Turbo S.

I started off wanting to make a Transyberia tribute, hence the oval lights on the roof rack.. but I did go off in my own direction a little bit. I may still add the Transyberia side decals eventually.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:02 PM
Tank_Nine_Eleven
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Zakowsky
Looks amazing! Thanks for posting the shots. My 22"s are black, the 18" are silver...I'm thinking I should paint them before mounting the new tires now.
Thanks! I went with powdercoat for mine since I want to be able to abuse them a bit off road. I went with this gun metal to match the rear emblem I used from a platinum edition to go with the Transyberia theme I started with. They clean up really well also.

Quick Reply: Bigger Tires On a 955 TTC