Sponsored by:

Durametric v VAG-COM v iCarScan - just the facts

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 10:06 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Durametric v VAG-COM v iCarScan - just the facts

I need some definitive information regarding the comparison of these three. My main focus is on suspension calibration. My 957 (2008) has apparently decided that the rear end is lower than it actually is, so the rear is a couple inches higher than the front and when it tries to adjust, it throws a warning message.

To figure it out, I purchased the iCarScan module. I can clear the code, but have not found the function to recalibrate.

The simple question is which of these three (four if you separate the Durametric enthusiast and pro) can be used to calibrate the suspension, and secondly, do other coding for lights, etc. I understand the VAG-COM will require modifications, which is fine as long as it will do what I want. If the iCarScan can be used to recalibrate, what do I need to do to activate that function, because it is not listed where it probably should be.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same issue with my '09 GTS. Problem was solved by replacing the rear pressure holding valves located at the top of the shock struts.

ICarScan would clear the fault code but unfortunately, there's no re-calibration feature. I sent an e-mail to Golo (EZ Launch Software programmers) and their response is shown below:

Hello sir,
For all the function supported, I think you’d better refer to the instruction in the car maker software

Subject: 2009 Porsche Cayenne level control calibration

Hello,
Can I re-calibrate the air suspension on my vehicle using the ICarScan? This feature does not seem to be supported in your software.
Thank-you,
Andy

If you could understand what this means, I'll pin a medal on you.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:14 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
I had the same issue with my '09 GTS. Problem was solved by replacing the rear pressure holding valves located at the top of the shock struts.

ICarScan would clear the fault code but unfortunately, there's no re-calibration feature. I sent an e-mail to Golo (EZ Launch Software programmers) and their response is shown below:

Hello sir,
For all the function supported, I think you’d better refer to the instruction in the car maker software

Subject: 2009 Porsche Cayenne level control calibration

Hello,
Can I re-calibrate the air suspension on my vehicle using the ICarScan? This feature does not seem to be supported in your software.
Thank-you,
Andy

If you could understand what this means, I'll pin a medal on you.

It means....

"Thank you for purchasing our product and we are glad that you are happy with the function. Take care"
Old 08-23-2017, 03:42 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Odd because the function does appear to be enabled on the 958 software. I should say I have not tried doing it - so I can't say for sure if it works - but the ability appears to be there to plug height numbers into the suspension control module for each wheel. There also appears to be a function allowing saving the height information to one of the other modules - and retrieving it from that module. Also haven't tried doing that.

If anyone with a 958 with air suspension wants to provide a test vehicle - we could explore this further.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:03 PM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
I will give that valve a try. Thanks

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Odd because the function does appear to be enabled on the 958 software. I should say I have not tried doing it - so I can't say for sure if it works - but the ability appears to be there to plug height numbers into the suspension control module for each wheel. There also appears to be a function allowing saving the height information to one of the other modules - and retrieving it from that module. Also haven't tried doing that.

If anyone with a 958 with air suspension wants to provide a test vehicle - we could explore this further.
I had seen that function in a different thread, but when I went to the location pictured, it was not listed. It apparently works for 955 and 958, though.

So, the question remains whether or not the VAG-COM can code the suspension?
Old 08-23-2017, 08:06 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 532 Posts

I use VAGCOM on my Audis frequently but I believe u go to a generic setting for others. I could clear codes on my Elise but don't think it will do active stuff on a P car.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:14 AM
dpatel710
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Avec
So, the question remains whether or not the VAG-COM can code the suspension?
On my 955, I have been able to run all functions using VAG-COM including recoding the instrument cluster and calibrating the suspension.

Whenever I need help, I reference the Touareg pages on Ross Tech.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:30 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Which vagcom cable? The new one or the old one?
did you have to modify it?
Old 08-26-2017, 09:51 AM
sirfin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I've the HEX+CAN from VAGCOM and I shorted the PIN 7 with PIN 2.... I'm not sure if with PIN 2 but yeah I think it is 2. So I have all the possibilities to scan, adjust and mod all the functions...
Old 08-26-2017, 12:53 PM
dpatel710
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sirfin
Hi
I've the HEX+CAN from VAGCOM and I shorted the PIN 7 with PIN 2.... I'm not sure if with PIN 2 but yeah I think it is 2. So I have all the possibilities to scan, adjust and mod all the functions...
I jumped the pins as well per Sirfin's advice. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but everything functions as it should. I have a generic cable off of ebay. Some of the cables have thicker plastic around the OBD-II port and do not fit as well, so be sure to get a slimmer one.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:41 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Thanks. There is a user here called Touareg who appears to have done lots with vagcom - coding things like the seatbelt chime and auto headlights as well as suspension adjustment. Hopefully he will be along soon to share his thoughts.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:34 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Originally Posted by sirfin
Hi
Would you mind checking which pins you connected together please?
I have vcds. With no modification it sees Only engine and transmission no other modules.
Is it 2 and 7? 2 is the can line. 7 k line. according to my research! On other threads they report 3 and 7 are the ones to connect together.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:35 AM
sirfin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stringbag
Would you mind checking which pins you connected together please?
I have vcds. With no modification it sees Only engine and transmission no other modules.
Is it 2 and 7? 2 is the can line. 7 k line. according to my research! On other threads they report 3 and 7 are the ones to connect together.
it''s PIN 3 and PIN 7 to short. I wrote it here

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cayenne-forum/952773-newbie-question-in-regards-to-vag-com.html#post13590066

do it and enjoy your open mind Cayenne
Old 09-08-2017, 10:52 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Hmm. Maybe I have an old cable.
With no shorting at all it can read the engine and transmission. Nothing else.
Shorted pin3 and 7. No change. Very odd, even more so when some people on that thread didn't have to short anything at all to get it to work.

So, back to the beginning!
What can icarscan NOT do that vagcom can? They are about the same price. Thinking about buying icarscan.
Durametric pro is 3x the price and you can't code with enthusiast.
Thanks.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:10 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Stringbag
So, back to the beginning!
What can icarscan NOT do that vagcom can? They are about the same price. Thinking about buying icarscan.
Durametric pro is 3x the price and you can't code with enthusiast.
Thanks.
There are some rather long and detailed threads on the iCarScan tool. I'd suggest reading them. It can talk to every module in my 958, I suspect the same would be true of 955/957. It can do some coding. More than the Durametric enthusiast model.

Quick Reply: Durametric v VAG-COM v iCarScan - just the facts