Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Cayenne 955 Turbo Upgrade Build Thread, Custom Manifolds, BW EFR 7163's

Old 09-15-2017, 08:45 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

I thought I would bring ya'll a quick update to the progress.....

All the intercooler mounting and piping and is complete.
Both Downpipes are done, I will finish welding up the passenger side tonight.

I still need to mount and plumb the Radium AOS that Im using along with replacing all the PCV hoses with steel braided of a larger size.
Engine wriring harness install which isn't much.
Mount and connect the transmission cooler and fan in the passenger side intercooler hole/ inner fender. Im running the lines right into the steel lines that come up by the alt. so that will be easy. I'm using a Tru-cool H7B which is the same as a B&M supercooler bar and plate design. Of course, with its own fan and controller.
Make a couple air intake pipes from the filters to the turbos. I'm going to try and use the stock air boxes for now until I get the Pig running and sorted. I think they will still fit fine.
Im going to use the factory boost control for a first start and sorting. Hopefully with the wategate springs I've chosen it will work.
Need to trim the plastic radiator shroud to fit and modify the hood latch brace a little to clear the intercooler.
Put the front bumper on and all that go's along with that. After a first start getting the headlight home position sorted and correct is priority. I'l probably do a first start with the exhaust open just past the flex joints at the end of the downpipes.
After I get it started and sorted, I need to get to the Dealer(ugggggghhhh) for an alignment. I might try to find shop around here for that that will let me work with them as I have the PIWIS.

After its completely running and sorted I will adress the fuel supply, injectors, and go for the first tune of tge stock ecu which will probably include elimination of the airbox's and larger MAF housings. Hopefully this will get me to the 750 ish level.

Hoping for first start in two weeks. The engine has been sitting for while and I need to get it running and broken in, get the fluids pumping before the real cold sets in.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:58 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Quick teaser-
When I get this thread going again, it's gonna happen fast. Right now I have a lot of details left to tie in and the downpipes kicked my ***. I tell you what, VW AG really knows how to pack 20 gallons of sh** in a 5 gallon bucket. Plus I have to crawl under the Pig like a heathen to work because I don't have a lift. That really screws with perception but I am really happy with how everything has turned out so far. Darn near textbook. Im taking my time not to cut any corners.

"Shortcuts are pay cuts"

The following 2 users liked this post by J'sWorld:
ElSpoon958 (03-06-2022), sub-zero (06-27-2022)
Old 09-18-2017, 07:03 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

I thought for sure somebody would be bustin my ba*** about the size of my single intake pipe or stock throttle body.

"Jayme, party of 1, your table is being seated."

Maybe everybody has me on block! They don't even know this thread exists!
The following users liked this post:
ElSpoon958 (03-06-2022)
Old 09-18-2017, 09:13 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts

Great thread. Great read. Subscribed. I love the 955 turbo as much as you do, I bet. I've had four so far and my current TTS is as close to showroom as I can keep a daily driver. I often contemplate what I'll end up doing when I need major engine work. I don't have your skills, aren't many who do. What would be great is if at the end of all this there were some opportunity or price attached for those of us crazy enough to contemplate pouring that kind of dough into a 955. I don't need, or want, 1000+ chp. 700+ reliable hp in a rebuild would be nice. And I'm crazy enough about my pig to look for a rebuild when it's time. They're amazing trucks. Thanks again for the thread. Fun stuff.
ElSpoon958 (03-06-2022)
Old 09-19-2017, 10:34 PM
reeddnlsn
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow great progress! Haven't been on the forums in a few weeks and I'm glad to see how close you are to getting a first start!

Single intake pipe and stock throttle body does seem like a bold move...looks like 3 or 3.5inch? Ive definitely seen little Hondas with larger piping lol (although it was definitely overkill) What about the hot side piping? Where are you running it?

On a side note...do you have a project name? May I suggest Project SuperP!G?
ElSpoon958 (03-06-2022)
Old 09-20-2017, 01:15 AM
Bosty
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

edited
Old 09-20-2017, 01:20 AM
Bosty
Advanced

Dude...You are doing the impossible.

We are all standing here being mouth breathers,
either gonna see something beautiful or a car crash.

The single intake is outside the box, the intercooler being 30% larger is absolutely beautiful. Those welds....Theres another guy in Texas that can weld like that, hes into choppers.
Great job!

Since this is from Texas. Should it be named after the Hurricane? Harvey?
ElSpoon958 (03-06-2022)
Old 09-20-2017, 03:37 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by icspres
Great thread. Great read. Subscribed. I love the 955 turbo as much as you do, I bet. I've had four so far and my current TTS is as close to showroom as I can keep a daily driver. I often contemplate what I'll end up doing when I need major engine work. I don't have your skills, aren't many who do. What would be great is if at the end of all this there were some opportunity or price attached for those of us crazy enough to contemplate pouring that kind of dough into a 955. I don't need, or want, 1000+ chp. 700+ reliable hp in a rebuild would be nice. And I'm crazy enough about my pig to look for a rebuild when it's time. They're amazing trucks. Thanks again for the thread. Fun stuff.
Thank you for the compliments everybody!

The first and second gen Cayenne are just great. But IMO, nothing compares to the first. Porsche really went out on a limb and made a bold move with a tone of trick stuff and technology packed in there. As for price, in the grand scheme of what it takes to head into this area on ANY performance vehicle, it really is surprisingly low for what I will end up with. Of course I'm a deal hound and that helps a lot. I couldn't even begin to guess at this point what a total price would be for someone else to do this. The largest part of that is all the fabrication involved and the fact that there is NO ROOM. To pay someone to do all this.....well, the labor would be astronomical. I'm a perfectionist and when I'm done with a project I like to enjoy it and not have to fix or redo things all the time. To me, EVERYTHING has to be right and 100% the best that I can do. If this were a MAJOR success the only way I can see it coming to kit form is if it was taken back down and my engineering was reverse engineered and mapped out to produce parts in a cost effective and consecutively reproduceable fashion. That would take a Faro arm and a bunch of trick tools and expertise to do it right I think.

Originally Posted by reeddnlsn
Wow great progress! Haven't been on the forums in a few weeks and I'm glad to see how close you are to getting a first start!

Single intake pipe and stock throttle body does seem like a bold move...looks like 3 or 3.5inch? Ive definitely seen little Hondas with larger piping lol (although it was definitely overkill) What about the hot side piping? Where are you running it?

On a side note...do you have a project name? May I suggest Project SuperP!G?
The cold side is 3". I could have done 3.5" but there are too many unknowns. I felt that this would be an easy upgrade later. I am concerned about lag so keeping the piping as minimal as possible was important to me. I have seen EVO's make 6-700 whp on a 2.5" cold side pipe. Flow through a pipe with bends, temperature, and pressure differentials, is super hard to calculate but my math puts me in the ballpark of this being more than adequate for all but the upper end of what my turbo's are capable of. I want to progress this thread in order so I will leave all the details on the induction to when the time comes so that I can add pics and talk about what I did and why. U know, I never even named this vehicle when it was a daily driver but I have a couple awesome ideas for a personalized plate that are available here in TX.

Originally Posted by Bosty
Dude...You are doing the impossible.

We are all standing here being mouth breathers,
gonna see something beautiful.

The single intake is outside the box, the intercooler being 30% larger is absolutely beautiful. Those welds....Theres another guy in Texas that can weld like that, hes into choppers.
Great job!

Since this is from Texas. Should it be named after the Hurricane? Harvey?

"Mouth Breathers" Love it! Me and my girl use that term all the time and I can't for the life of me remember what movie it was from?

It's possible guys! I'm doin' it down on the farm! U never know what those guys out in the country have locked away in the shop.
My mailman has delivered sooo many packages here and I knows he's curious what the heck is going on. He's always trying to get a look without being to nosy but the angle is bad for him.

Uknow, the welds are real good and strong, correct and straight for the most part. Aluminum is its own beast. Thin wall aluminum is really tough. Pie cuts are a TON OF WORK! I have mad respect for the kind of welds that you see online that are so perfect and beautiful. You can take a weld that looks amazing in person and put it under a camera and everything go's to hell. I've only been welding for about a year now and I really enjoy it. One of the best skills I ever decided to develop.

No crashes for me!
ElSpoon958 (03-06-2022)
Old 10-11-2017, 09:41 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Last edited by J'sWorld; 10-12-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:55 PM
Bosty
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
https://youtu.be/nuGhGTlq3Yc
Hallelujah!
It breathes! Good job! Very very stoked

So what comes next?

P.s
Super off topic....are you planning on keeping the a/c?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:15 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,127 Likes on 3,903 Posts

Oh My God - listen to that monster - AWESOME !
Old 10-12-2017, 01:33 AM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Wooooooow
Old 10-12-2017, 01:41 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bosty
Hallelujah!
It breathes! Good job! Very very stoked

So what comes next?

P.s
Super off topic....are you planning on keeping the a/c?
Unfortunatly work is going to keep me away from the Cayenne for the next 6 weeks or so. I will do what I can. I've been working on it all day every day and night for the last two and a half months.

Everything works! The a/c is as intended. I have used and modified a lot of the stock parts. Nothing as far as the accessories was changed from stock. All the beauty covers fit, all the engine compartment trim fits. No cutting! The only way you can tell by looking under the hood is the shiny single intake pipe.

I am going to take the next weeks to get some tires ordered/installed, a windshield put in, an inspection/registration, have the driveshaft made (they are 4-6wks out) and get the stock front intercooler ducts worked out ( one is sans intercooler and the other holds the transmission cooler/fan now) , and get the front bumper mounted, get the rest of the xhaust done, and get an alignment. Hopefully I can get all this tackled in the next 6 weeks or so. After that,

Plex Pro boost controller
fuel pressure sender for the above
injectors
fuel system mods (it's still a secret!)
Tune
Possibly some PMAS HPX maf meters pending need

If the stock boost control works ok I will get a baseline dyno before I start doing the above mods.

In short- maybe another 3 months before I have some real figures on what this thing can do.

Of course there is a ton of detail that needs to be added to this thread to bring it up to speed and I plan to get that done in the next couple of weeks.

ElSpoon958 (03-06-2022)
Old 10-12-2017, 01:48 AM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
I am going to take the next weeks to get some tires ordered/installed,
Order extra tires.

c
Old 10-12-2017, 02:46 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Your personalized plate could read: QUIK BRK(quick brick)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne 955 Turbo Upgrade Build Thread, Custom Manifolds, BW EFR 7163's