Another Android Headunit install in 2008 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 10:09 AM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by XCM
Hi lupo.sk,

Did you get a chance to try the microphone? I'm getting a new one from the supplier any day now so hoping that will fix it.
Nope, forgot. I’m driving a different car, gotta try it when I get home.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:57 AM
killer2001
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way for this unit to automatically switch to the reverse camera when the vehicle is in reverse, then switch back to whatever app/screen it was on last once out of reverse? (much like the factory PCM)
Old 10-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by killer2001
Is there a way for this unit to automatically switch to the reverse camera when the vehicle is in reverse, then switch back to whatever app/screen it was on last once out of reverse? (much like the factory PCM)
Mine does exactly this automatically. In fact, it would switch to the camera video feed even before I had installed a camera. The head unit will also display the camera feed when the head unit itself has been turned off, then turn back off when reverse has been de-selected.

Another cool feature is that you can set to have the system volume reduce to a predetermined level when reverse gear is selected.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:28 PM
killer2001
Advanced

Is there a wiring schematic for the Nav unit and how it ties into the PCM? If you have a car equipped with Navigation (under the seat) shouldn't there already be the wires needed going into the back of the PCM you can re-wire for the aftermarket android unit? I'd really like to use the factory antenna in this scenario.

Just trying to figure out all the details.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:40 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by killer2001
Is there a wiring schematic for the Nav unit and how it ties into the PCM? If you have a car equipped with Navigation (under the seat) shouldn't there already be the wires needed going into the back of the PCM you can re-wire for the aftermarket android unit? I'd really like to use the factory antenna in this scenario.

Just trying to figure out all the details.
Sure - there are wiring diagrams. You can purchase PDF copies of the old original factory manuals on eBay.. look for the one that breaks it out into chapters - not one huge 11,000 page PDF.

Chances are - you can't use the output from the factory antenna. AFAIK - there is no standard for the output from a GPS antenna - so chances are - the output characteristics are different. Just mount the GPS antenna up under the center dash top vent assembly. Apparently it's quite happy there and works well - according to other posts.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:24 AM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Mic works on mine
Old 10-08-2017, 08:13 AM
milg3
4th Gear

This head unit is AMAZING for the price, I bought it from aliexpress for about $350 with some goodies too.
The gps adapter won't work, use the gps that came with the unit and easily route it under the middle dash grill - the grill was held by 2 screws on my car just remove these and you have a nice storage for all the things. For the cables put them to the RIGHT SIDE there's enough space for them to fit nicely. Download the 3rd party app mentioned in first post for remapping the steering buttons for specific apps.

I need some help with USB 4G stick, I bought HUAWEI E3372h but it doesn't work with PPP app. Any tips on this?
When shutting the car off a loud crack sound comes out of the speakers most of the time. Any tips?
When starting the car and the head unit resumes, how to make it resume back to the last opened app, for example, Spotify and start playing the music too instead of having to do this manually each time?
Old 11-29-2017, 11:40 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for all the great posts on this thread. I’m pulling the trigger on the 9” Android 7.1 / 4 core version that others have bought of AliExpress. There’s also now an 8 core version that runs Android 6, but it’s more expensive/rare and it doesn’t appear from this thread that folks are using that one. Christmas project...
Old 11-29-2017, 03:33 PM
XCM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi all,

Just to update on my unit and the mic limitations. My external mic works for bluetooth phone calls but doesn't work for Google Now voice activation. The latter is a common problem with this kind of units and I can live with that limitation. Glad to have found out that voice calls work.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:49 PM
kjbu
Advanced

PROBLEM : It seems my unit (the Aliexpress version + MOST-adapter) is draining the battery when not in use. After 1 week not in use, battery is dead. This started just after installation of the unit, need to have a maintenance charger connected all the time.
Others having the same problem??

The unit goes to sleep mode when you turn off car, not completely off. But use that much power in sleep mode?? Can it be MOST-adapter using power all time? Hmmm...I'm wondering what this can be. Or maybe the android/MOST-unit not telling BOSE-amplifier to turn off when it should? Suggestions?

When spring is here, I will measure amp going through the fuses.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:37 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I know that the head unit does not turn of when the car is off, or power button on unit is hit. It just goes to sleep If it is draining more than it should,you could source another MOST unit or power it from a circuit that is on with the key. I would keep the head unit wired as is because it does take some time to power on
Old 12-26-2017, 10:37 AM
XCM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjbu
PROBLEM : It seems my unit (the Aliexpress version + MOST-adapter) is draining the battery when not in use. After 1 week not in use, battery is dead. This started just after installation of the unit, need to have a maintenance charger connected all the time.
Others having the same problem??

The unit goes to sleep mode when you turn off car, not completely off. But use that much power in sleep mode?? Can it be MOST-adapter using power all time? Hmmm...I'm wondering what this can be. Or maybe the android/MOST-unit not telling BOSE-amplifier to turn off when it should? Suggestions?

When spring is here, I will measure amp going through the fuses.
Hi kjbu,

I had something similar in the beginning. Turned out that the option to keep wifi on while unit is off was turned on in one of the Android menus. When I clicked that off the drain went away. Let me know if you can't find that setting in the menu and I'll post some more specific directions.

Could of course be a bunch of other things including incorrect wiring of the switched vs non-switched power but checking that menu option is worth a try before you start messing with that.

Good luck.
Adam.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:07 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Avec
I believe that was an issue with a single user. No other reports of overheating have been reported on this forum, that I recall.

I installed my unit over the weekend, and I actually made it more difficult than it should have been. The biggest issue is the lack of installation instructions, but once sorted out, everything went well. The MOST module needs to be wired up - power all the time, power on key and ground. I found the easiest place to wire this in was to the same wires on the harness between the CanBus module and the head unit. Red to Red, Yellow to Yellow and Black to Black. Snip, strip, solder and shrink wrap and all ready to go.
Avec, I'm having issues with my similar install see this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post15548204

I had wired the MOST box ACC to the Head Unit AMP-CON wire, and everything works, but the audio cuts out after ~20min. I tried ot wire it as you say above, connecting the ACC form the MOST box to the CAN-BUS decoder yellow wire, and the audio will not work at all.

Originally Posted by XCM
Rennlist'ers.

In the interest of full disclosure I want to share two small bugs I've encountered:

#1 - From time to time no sound comes from speakers despite the headunit playing. Seems it's a bug in the unit (as oppose to wiring etc) as the work around is to activate Google Now. The little beep that comes from Google Now as it's listening for a command seems to trigger the audio picking back up. After that music starts playing fine.

#2 - A few times I've only gotten sound from the right side speakers. Again seems to be a bug in the unit. My work around is going to the "Amplifier" app and play with the balance. That triggers it into working again.

Odd little SW bugs I suspect. A bit goofy but nothing that bothers me. Just wanted to share. Thanks.
XCM, see above, same problem, audio cutting out, only i cannot get it to come back on without a 15s shut down of the car (key removed) or a full re-boot of the Android to recovery mode.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:45 AM
Shark1
AutoX

Anyone have the updated of Android 8.1. I am still running the android 4.4.1 on my head unit. I did a google search, nothing comes up for a update.
Thank you
Old 03-01-2019, 02:21 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The Android build for these radios is usually pretty specific for the hardware and car it is used in. Try contacting the vendor you bought it from to see if they can provide an update. But I would guess a unit built for 4.4.1 may not play nice with 8.1.
If you have nothing better to do this weekend, grab a 6-pack (or two) and grind thru this forum. If there is an answer to your question there is a good chance it will be there...You might find something that will work...
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto

Quick Reply: Another Android Headunit install in 2008 Cayenne