Another Android Headunit install in 2008 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:38 PM
XCM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Mic issue

Originally Posted by OJM
Thanks XCM! When you say you can't get the mic to work, do you mean you can't use the headunit for Bluetooth calls, Google Now, etc.? I was hoping to use this for calls as I spend a lot of time commuting some days and have been having to use a headset (very early 2000s!). I already ordered so I may be stuck dealing with the issue or trying to solve. Thanks again!
Hi OJM, no sound in at all so not during calls and no Google Now - no nothing. Not sure if it's SW or HW and not sure if this is just something with my unit. I'm awaiting a new microphone to see if that fixes it but seems a common problem with these Android units so who knows. I'm still super happy with the unit overall. Will be curious to see if your unit supports sounds in.

BTW my unit shipped without an external mic which is probably just a advertised but the shop was nice enough to send me one for free since there was no sound on build in mic. Obviously no luck with external mic #1 so they are now sending a 2nd unit - doubt it will make much difference.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:09 PM
OJM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

XCM, Thanks for the information. Any others have insights regarding the mic functionality? kjbu or avec maybe? Seems like an odd issue given that Android OS has the functionality and the hardware should also if there is an apparent internal mic and inputs for an external. If a software issue, perhaps rooting will help and a solution can be found on an Android developer website. May be worth backing up the ROM and trying to flash another ROM from another headunit based on Android. Anyway, I will test mic functionality once I receive the headunit and report back. I ordered on Friday evening and haven't gotten a shipping notice yet. Any idea how long shipping will realistically take based on others experiences is appreciated.

By the way, are folks using their phone as a hotspot or should I be looking to pick up a USB dongle and sim card?
Old 09-18-2017, 11:24 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by OJM

By the way, are folks using their phone as a hotspot or should I be looking to pick up a USB dongle and sim card?
Hotspot, automatic like putting on my seatbelt. PITA. I bluetooth stream with the 911's Kenwood, and have to turn bluetooth OFF with the seicane POS because the unit's BT reception is so weak and I don't want it answering my calls while also having to turn on the hotspot.

And since all my mobile devices, other phones, tablets, laptops know my hotspot, I have to physically turn it off all the time, too, rather than having it time out due to inactivity.

Seicane's are crap. OTOH, Don't know how I'd live without what it DOES do now. If it crapped out tomorrow, I'd buy another.

Sadly.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:25 PM
OJM
Advanced

Originally Posted by XCM
MOST adapter: Seicane "Car Stereo radio GPS Optical Fiber Decoder MOST" for ~$100 on Seicane's ebay store
Other: Soldering iron, trim removal plastic lever, T20 Torx bit
Hi XCM: Did you need to buy any type of adapter/connector for the Cayenne radio antenna to connect to the Android HU? Some other posts mention bad FM/AM radio reception and the need for some type of adapter to accommodate the Porsche dual antenna. Also, did you add a USB dongle for data or are you using your phone as a hotspot. I see some others are using a USB 4g dongle with its own sim card. If you are too, I would appreciate a recommendation on the brand and where you purchased. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2017, 05:39 PM
XCM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OJM
Hi XCM: Did you need to buy any type of adapter/connector for the Cayenne radio antenna to connect to the Android HU? Some other posts mention bad FM/AM radio reception and the need for some type of adapter to accommodate the Porsche dual antenna. Also, did you add a USB dongle for data or are you using your phone as a hotspot. I see some others are using a USB 4g dongle with its own sim card. If you are too, I would appreciate a recommendation on the brand and where you purchased. Thank you!
Hi OJM,

No adapter need for the radio antenna.

I did get a USB dongle. See post #17 for details. A little hit or miss if the PPP widget works but think that might be because I've not rooted my device. USB dongle is cheap but it might be easier to just use your phone as hotspot.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:12 PM
OJM
Advanced

Originally Posted by XCM
Hi OJM,

No adapter need for the radio antenna.

I did get a USB dongle. See post #17 for details. A little hit or miss if the PPP widget works but think that might be because I've not rooted my device. USB dongle is cheap but it might be easier to just use your phone as hotspot.
Thanks XCM! Very helpful. I am trying to line up all of the other parts I will need to install once the HU shows up and the radio antenna connection was a concern. I also have a backup camera and may tackle that job too as I found a good DIY video online.

As for data, I have read that the best way to use the USB 4g dongle is to simply plug it into a charger - as opposed to USB in on HU - and use it as a hotspot. Not sure if that has been your experience. If I am just going to connect to a hotspot via wifi, I may just use my old Android phone as hotspot by dropping in a sim with data only. I can just leave it in the glove box charging and keep the hotspot on. Not sure yet. In the meantime, I am wondering how long it will take to receive my HU. I ordered last Friday and received notice it shipped on 9/18.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:10 PM
XCM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OJM
Thanks XCM! Very helpful. I am trying to line up all of the other parts I will need to install once the HU shows up and the radio antenna connection was a concern. I also have a backup camera and may tackle that job too as I found a good DIY video online.

As for data, I have read that the best way to use the USB 4g dongle is to simply plug it into a charger - as opposed to USB in on HU - and use it as a hotspot. Not sure if that has been your experience. If I am just going to connect to a hotspot via wifi, I may just use my old Android phone as hotspot by dropping in a sim with data only. I can just leave it in the glove box charging and keep the hotspot on. Not sure yet. In the meantime, I am wondering how long it will take to receive my HU. I ordered last Friday and received notice it shipped on 9/18.
OJM, for what it's worth mine shipped via DHL and took 6 working days to arrive (East Coast).

Let me know how the camera goes if you get up the guts to try it.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:58 AM
kjbu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in my old PCM?

Anobody interested in my old PCM 2.0?
Not useful in Norway any more, since FM is replaced by DAB+ broadcasting.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:49 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Based on experience from you guys, I bought an android unit from aliexpress and had it installed today.
Steering wheel buttons work, BT audio streaming works and that’s about what my SO needs. Install took like 2hrs and cost me next to nothing. Together with the BT diag module and MOST adapter it was like $350 shipped.
Used the provided gps antenna, it’s hidden in the vent/speaker somewhere.

I just have to buy a new backup cam as the old one is acting up.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:53 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sell it on ebay. I got $750usd for mine!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:54 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Originally Posted by morrisdl
Srsly? Nice!!!
Old 10-02-2017, 05:17 PM
XCM
Intermediate

Default Mic?

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
Based on experience from you guys, I bought an android unit from aliexpress and had it installed today.
Steering wheel buttons work, BT audio streaming works and that’s about what my SO needs. Install took like 2hrs and cost me next to nothing. Together with the BT diag module and MOST adapter it was like $350 shipped.
Used the provided gps antenna, it’s hidden in the vent/speaker somewhere.

I just have to buy a new backup cam as the old one is acting up.
That's great! Is the mic working (and if so both internal and external)?
Old 10-02-2017, 05:22 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Originally Posted by XCM
That's great! Is the mic working (and if so both internal and external)?
I have no idea, can try tomorrow. Even if it doeesn’t, I don’t care
Old 10-02-2017, 05:37 PM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by morrisdl
Geez. I sold mine for $360. I bought the Android unit for $368, so in the end it cost me a whole $8. Not a bad trade at all.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:10 AM
XCM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
I have no idea, can try tomorrow. Even if it doeesn’t, I don’t care
Hi lupo.sk,

Did you get a chance to try the microphone? I'm getting a new one from the supplier any day now so hoping that will fix it.

Quick Reply: Another Android Headunit install in 2008 Cayenne