Another Android Headunit install in 2008 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 03:38 PM
XCM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Small bugs

Rennlist'ers.

In the interest of full disclosure I want to share two small bugs I've encountered:

#1 - From time to time no sound comes from speakers despite the headunit playing. Seems it's a bug in the unit (as oppose to wiring etc) as the work around is to activate Google Now. The little beep that comes from Google Now as it's listening for a command seems to trigger the audio picking back up. After that music starts playing fine.

#2 - A few times I've only gotten sound from the right side speakers. Again seems to be a bug in the unit. My work around is going to the "Amplifier" app and play with the balance. That triggers it into working again.

Odd little SW bugs I suspect. A bit goofy but nothing that bothers me. Just wanted to share. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:43 PM
XCM
Intermediate

Default Huawei E397 4G w PPP 3 Widget - Working!

Originally Posted by reeddnlsn
This is awesome! I literally ordered a unit from Ali the other day (although they canceled my order and made me verify my identity for some reason) and a MOST box from Seicane off eBay. What a coincidence. Hopefully I will get it in a week or so and I hope my install goes as smoothly as yours. Are you going to try to us a 4G dongle? Are you using an iPhone? Is tethering good enough to stream music through apps rather than bluetooth?
Reeddnlsn,

Wanted to report back that I got the unit working with an unlocked Huawei E397 4G LTE USB stick off ebay. My carrier is Project fi. Using "PPP Widget 3" tool from the playstore to control it. Had to populate the APN ("H2G2" for Project fi) in PPP3 Widget 3 but did not need to root the device despite the tool saying that's a requirement. Have only driveway tested it this far but pretty sweet. Not sure about bandwidth but don't need much to run navigation, Waze etc.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:43 PM
reeddnlsn
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

XCM,

Awesome! Im glad it worked.

I am still waiting on my damn unit to get here. I ordered it and all of the accessories from AlienExpress and they decided my activity was suspicious and put my account on hold...after about a week and uploading pictures of my ID and credit card to some foreign Chinese site (just the idea of doing that went against everything I know about identity protection) they finally "verified" my identity and my head unit is sitting in Customs at SFO while I have already received anything else.

Hopefully I have a day off next week to get it installed...i need to drown out my control arm squeaks somehow until I can get to them and my hatred for FM radio is hindering that at the moment.

Just got out of a relationship and bought my P!G 2 months ago...what I didnt realize was that I was just getting right back into a new relationship.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:02 PM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok. I finally got my back up camera installed.

I got this unit from Amazon
Amazon Amazon
I initially bought a cheaper unit, but it did not work at all (fit, electrical connectors).

I can detail the steps, but in a nutshell, I ran the video and power cable/wires through the wire chase on the passenger side of the hatch. I drew power from the back up light (blue/black wire is power and brown ground. The wire loom runs behind the side access panel in the passenger side rear). The LED light is not plug and play, but requires it be wired in. Only issue here is to make sure to get the polarity correct. Turn your lights on and test before wiring to make sure you get it correct. I then ran the video cable along the edge of the head liner to the A pillar, behind the glove box and to the head unit. The hatch portion was by far the most difficult portion. The headliner part was surprisingly easy. Be careful with the glove box. I thought it could sustain being opened all the way down, but both plastic hinges broke, and I need to fix those. It still works, but the bottom doesn't fit tight. Remove the kick panel to unscrew the hinges.

Once plugged in the camera works when in reverse, whether the head unit is powered on or not, the backup camera feed comes on. video quality is great (for its use) and even in complete dark except for backup lights everything is quite visible. The red / yellow / green demarkations are right at 1, 2 and 3 feet

The one outstanding issue is the camera comes with an LED license plate light and my other is a normal incandescent. I will need to change this, because it looks odd. All things considered, this was well worth installing to go with the Android head unit. I recommend it to all. Let me know if anyone needs more detail on the install and I will try to provide it.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:16 PM
kjbu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS antenna

This thread helped me installing this great unit.
I tried the original GPS antenna with a fakra adapter, but didn't work.
So I needed to install the one that came with the unit. I installed it inside the dash grill, see pictures. It was very easy to get cable down to unit, big holes are already present. Working wonderful with good gps signal, even inside my garage.

Thread starter had problems getting room for the cables/boxes. I had no problems, stuffed all of them to the right side of unit, it is a big empty space available between stereo compartment and glovebox.

Im impressed about this cheap unit. My next project is to add a DAB+ usb unit and windscreen antenna. Already ordered.

Pull grill out. Two torx screws inside for dash grill
Cable from gps Gps under grill, with space for a suitcase!
Cable from gps down to stereo compartment to the left. A lot of space.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:21 PM
kjbu
Advanced

Originally Posted by Avec
The one outstanding issue is the camera comes with an LED license plate light.........All things considered, this was well worth installing to go with the Android head unit. I recommend it to all. Let me know if anyone needs more detail on the install and I will try to provide it.
Hi. Interesting! Can you please add pictures if you have?

Can be my next project after DAB+ option

Last edited by kjbu; 09-11-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: trimmed quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:48 PM
kjbu
Advanced

Default Where should this green wire go to?

I have very bad FM-signal on this unit.
The antenna adapter has a black box on it and a green wire. Where should this be connected? See picture

I thought it was 12V for an antenna amplifier so I connected it to +12V. Apparently that is probably wrong.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:11 PM
OJM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A few questions

XCM (and other brave souls who have done the install),

I just purchased a 2006 Cayenne Turbo and I am already fed up with PCM. I switched out PCM in my 997 for a Dynavin which has performed excellent, but that was a $850 upgrade and I would rather try this Android headunit for $400 all in as the Cayenne is my winter ride and I am on a budget. Anyway, I am trying to find the same unit XCM purchased on Aliexpress and there are too many versions and sellers. Is this the one you purchased? https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...805731710.html.

It appears that the unit also includes what we need for steering wheel controls (after adding the app you mentioned), but I wanted to confirm. As for the MOST adapter, I see you bought yours on ebay from Seican, but it is two channel. I would love to find a 4 channel MOST adapter. Has anyone found a 4 channel version? I assume it may cost a bit more, but may be willing to pay for 4 channel. That said, the rear speakers work with yours, correct? I am not too concerned about fade from front to back so long as all speakers work. I may also add a back up camera as I did in the 911, but I imagine routing the wires to the back of the cayenne may be more of a headache than it is worth.

Sorry for the barrage of questions and thanks in advance! This post is extremely helpful/informative, much appreciated.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:04 PM
kjbu
Advanced

Originally Posted by OJM
X
Sorry for the barrage of questions and thanks in advance! This post is extremely helpful/informative, much appreciated.
with 2 channel MOST all speakers work and you have stereo. Only thing not working is fading front/rear. No need for 4 channel.
With 2 MOST boxes in parallell, you have 4 channel. That should work if you need fading.edit, this is not possible, only one fiber optic plug.

Last edited by kjbu; 09-17-2017 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Wrong info
Old 09-16-2017, 02:59 PM
XCM
Intermediate

Hi kjbu, great pictures! I see you ventured to pull off the top speaker grill (where you mounted the GPS). I'm going to try the same to get a stronger signal. Interesting that you got the unit to fit without much drama. I agree there's definitely room for stuff to the right of the unit I just had a hard time getting everything tugged in there as I pushed the unit in. Cables and FM antenna seem to just flop back behind the unit when I pushed it in and that made it difficult to fit everthing. Not impossible or anything just required patience.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:01 PM
XCM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Avec
Ok. I finally got my back up camera installed.

I got this unit from Amazon
Amazon Amazon
I initially bought a cheaper unit, but it did not work at all (fit, electrical connectors).

I can detail the steps, but in a nutshell, I ran the video and power cable/wires through the wire chase on the passenger side of the hatch. I drew power from the back up light (blue/black wire is power and brown ground. The wire loom runs behind the side access panel in the passenger side rear). The LED light is not plug and play, but requires it be wired in. Only issue here is to make sure to get the polarity correct. Turn your lights on and test before wiring to make sure you get it correct. I then ran the video cable along the edge of the head liner to the A pillar, behind the glove box and to the head unit. The hatch portion was by far the most difficult portion. The headliner part was surprisingly easy. Be careful with the glove box. I thought it could sustain being opened all the way down, but both plastic hinges broke, and I need to fix those. It still works, but the bottom doesn't fit tight. Remove the kick panel to unscrew the hinges.

Once plugged in the camera works when in reverse, whether the head unit is powered on or not, the backup camera feed comes on. video quality is great (for its use) and even in complete dark except for backup lights everything is quite visible. The red / yellow / green demarkations are right at 1, 2 and 3 feet

The one outstanding issue is the camera comes with an LED license plate light and my other is a normal incandescent. I will need to change this, because it looks odd. All things considered, this was well worth installing to go with the Android head unit. I recommend it to all. Let me know if anyone needs more detail on the install and I will try to provide it.
Avec, that's great! Congrats on the camera and thanks for the link. I'll see if I get brave enough to attempt. Would be a great feature to have.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:04 PM
XCM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kjbu
I have very bad FM-signal on this unit.
The antenna adapter has a black box on it and a green wire. Where should this be connected? See picture

I thought it was 12V for an antenna amplifier so I connected it to +12V. Apparently that is probably wrong.

Hi kjbu, sorry for late reply. I also wired the green cable you have marked with an arrow to power. I wired it to one of the female plug-in connectors but can't remember which one. Not sure if it makes a difference as I never tried with it disconnected. I can't say I listen to FM very much but think I have a descent signal.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:07 PM
XCM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kjbu
with 2 channel MOST all speakers work and you have stereo. Only thing not working is fading front/rear. No need for 4 channel.
With 2 MOST boxes in parallell, you have 4 channel. That should work if you need fading.
Agree with kjbu regarding the 2-channel MOST adapter do provide sound to all speakers but as also mentioned you do loose ability to fade.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:12 PM
XCM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OJM
XCM (and other brave souls who have done the install),

I just purchased a 2006 Cayenne Turbo and I am already fed up with PCM. I switched out PCM in my 997 for a Dynavin which has performed excellent, but that was a $850 upgrade and I would rather try this Android headunit for $400 all in as the Cayenne is my winter ride and I am on a budget. Anyway, I am trying to find the same unit XCM purchased on Aliexpress and there are too many versions and sellers. Is this the one you purchased? https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...805731710.html.

It appears that the unit also includes what we need for steering wheel controls (after adding the app you mentioned), but I wanted to confirm. As for the MOST adapter, I see you bought yours on ebay from Seican, but it is two channel. I would love to find a 4 channel MOST adapter. Has anyone found a 4 channel version? I assume it may cost a bit more, but may be willing to pay for 4 channel. That said, the rear speakers work with yours, correct? I am not too concerned about fade from front to back so long as all speakers work. I may also add a back up camera as I did in the 911, but I imagine routing the wires to the back of the cayenne may be more of a headache than it is worth.

Ji OJM, sorry for slow reply. That looks like the same unit I got and from the same store (they have been great to deal with BTW). I've still not been able to get mic to work and can't really figure out if that's HW or SW. I'm OK with that for now just wanted to let you know in case that's very important to you. It's an amazing unit for the price. Have fun!
Old 09-18-2017, 06:20 PM
OJM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XCM
I've still not been able to get mic to work and can't really figure out if that's HW or SW. I'm OK with that for now just wanted to let you know in case that's very important to you. It's an amazing unit for the price. Have fun!
Thanks XCM! When you say you can't get the mic to work, do you mean you can't use the headunit for Bluetooth calls, Google Now, etc.? I was hoping to use this for calls as I spend a lot of time commuting some days and have been having to use a headset (very early 2000s!). I already ordered so I may be stuck dealing with the issue or trying to solve. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Another Android Headunit install in 2008 Cayenne