Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mr. Haney, super impressed with the build...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 11:09 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
It's too bad that this is the most active Cayenne forum, yet has the least structure. The most inactive forum 6speedonline, seems to have the most structure. Go figure? We the people can change this! Write your moderators/admins with your ideas. If anyone feels that this thread could be stickied, go ahead and tell somebody! Both forums are owned by InternetBrands BTW.
The restructuring of this forum has been and IS being discussed by the administrators and moderators. I've gotten an OK to do this - but I'm on vacation at the moment and don't want to even think about doing it via hotel WiFi hookups.

It's a big project.. the initial change in structure was already made with the creation of a 958 subforum. The same will happen for the 955/957 models. Then it may take a number of weeks to move over the applicable posts to that subforum.

That will leave this forum for "general" Cayenne discussion.

Once a new Cayenne is announced (2018 model probably) a subforum will be made for that series.

If all this gets sorted out in my lifetime - I may consider asking for a DIY/tech subforum - with access limited to paid Rennlist members - one DIY sub-subforum for each "series" Cayenne. These DIY forums will be moderated - and a moderator will have to move threads to them manually.

There is a high level DIY forum, with a Cayenne subforum in it - and I'd bet 95% of the people visiting this forum have never visited it. It has a very low "view" count - and DIY's for 955/957 and 958 are jumbled together and poorly titled - making them less than useful and search-engine friendly.

Anyway - that's my thoughts at the moment, and presenting them in the moderator forum got a positive response. Other moderators noted that similar issues exist with several other model-specific (but not series specific) forums here.

As usual, YMMV, and I may be fulla'beans.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

BTW - the 6speedonline Cayenne forum does have structure - but - IMHO it's certainly not an ideal structure. It could certainly be improved on.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:24 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Don, I can see you have put in a lot of hard work here and I can appreciate that. I am excited to see what you come up with for this forum. I like 6speed and dont understand why its all crickets the past couple of years Maybe too much structure? Anyhow, hope your vacation is all smiles

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming......
Old 08-06-2017, 03:26 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Test
Old 08-06-2017, 08:51 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Maybe too much structure?
Shack. Too much structure, on a relatively low volume sub-forum (Cayenne) is a killer. It needs to become an enthusiasts' market first. It is not. I believe it is transitioning that direction.

I have seen Rennlist grow since the beginning. It will happen, just need more active Cayenne users.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:10 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt O.
Shack. Too much structure, on a relatively low volume sub-forum (Cayenne) is a killer. It needs to become an enthusiasts' market first. It is not. I believe it is transitioning that direction.

I have seen Rennlist grow since the beginning. It will happen, just need more active Cayenne users.
Agreed. I have seen light traffic forums lose wind and die because they over structured them. When there are too many different channels and the people get divided up they seem dead and less active and people can lose interest quickly. Not opposed to any of your ideas, just conveying what I have seen on other boards.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:10 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Since this has drifted OT.. I think the structure used on 6speed is a problem. They've made too many parallel subforums - the structure they've setup is:

CAYENNE - top level

---- SUB:Cayenne Turbo
---- SUB:Cayenne Turbo Vendor Classifieds
---- SUB:Cayenne 958
---- SUB:Cayenne 958 Vendor Classifieds
---- SUB:Cayenne 955/957
---- SUB:Cayenne 955/957 Vendor Classifieds

I assume the reasoning behind the vendor subforums is to keep vendors from cluttering up the main model forums - problem is - the vendors do that anyway, rather than restricting their posts to just vendor forums. The Turbo subforum tosses ALL turbos (955/957-958) into one subforum. That is confusing to people who may own a turbo, and have something to ask that doesn't actually concern the turbo.

The structure I'd like to out in place is simpler and more linear in layout:

Cayenne - TOP LEVEL GENERAL Cayenne DISCUSSION
--- SUB: 955/957 2003-2010 models
--- SUB: 958 2011-Current

When the new model designation is released - We'll update it as:

--- SUB: 958 2011-2017
--- SUB: 95# 2017-Current
That's the basics. I'd been involved with other forums (BMW motorcycle and car) where we used a similar layout. On one of the best BMW bike forums - we broke it out like this - and then added moderated subforums under each "series" subforum for DIY threads - which were submitted by members, and edited and vetted by moderators. Here - that structure would look like:

---- SUBSUB: DIY 955/957
--- SUB: 958 2011-Current
---- SUBSUB: DIY 958
The advantage of the moderated DIY is - editing by a moderator makes for a standard layout, and allows adding warnings, and tool requirements to do a job. If the owner of RennList wants to - they can restrict access to the DIY sub-sub-forum to paid members, encouraging membership to the forum.

That's the basics. The DIY sub-sub is just an idea at this point. One requirement would be to have the person doing the DIY submit their photos to THIS forum, rather than relying on an outside photo host and links. We can see how poorly that works when a company like Photobucket no longer allows this sort of "3rd-party hosting" - basically making MANY DIY threads completely useless.

If we want further discussion on this - I'll create a thread for it and try to move these posts to it, so it attracts attention from more than the people following this thread.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:00 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Mr. Haney,

I've sent a contribution... now go finish this X5M -Killer!
Old 08-09-2017, 04:35 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Thank you very, very much Dilberto! I'm working hard to provide some proof of concept on this build so that this segment can gain more traction.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:24 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Looks like a little progress being made! C'mon guys. Do you want a canned tune, or do you want it all?

"If you build it, they will come."

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 619
Size:  698.5 KB
Old 08-12-2017, 08:57 PM
jdubbya
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Made a small donation and shared on Facebook. I doubt any of my friends will get it or share it but I think it's cool what you are trying to get done.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:10 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jdubbya
Made a small donation and shared on Facebook. I doubt any of my friends will get it or share it but I think it's cool what you are trying to get done.
Small? No such thing jdubbya!
With the kind of support that all of you graciously give we will hit our goal for sure! I'd like to take a moment right now to bless all of the contributors thus far May you and your loved ones experience all the graciousness that you clearly give. Obviously, it lends to your character's. Karma and the universe shall bring it right back

I think the support just go's to show what the community feels has been missing. The more the 1st and 2nd generation of this platform moves into its new lifestyle, the more guys like yourselves and I are going to be looking for something like this. And, with the current climate of values I think it makes more sense than ever to spend a little extra.

Best,

Jayme
Old 08-30-2017, 04:26 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Funds update

As promised guys an gals-

GoFundme requires that I make monthly withdrawals of the funds. I guess they don't want to be a bank. I have opened an acct. solely for the purpose of holding the donations. Right now the total donation amount stands at about $800. After GoFundme's fees we have a deposit to the acct as shown. I will be providing periodic updates to let everyone know where the money is and that it is not going to anything other than the cause.

Name:  Untitled1-6.png
Views: 508
Size:  139.5 KB
Old 03-06-2018, 10:45 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Any updates to your project? I know $800 is a far cry from what you need, hopefully you can get there internally.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:29 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Matt O.
Any updates to your project? I know $800 is a far cry from what you need, hopefully you can get there internally.
Good morning Matt!
Funny you ask as I have been thinking about the https://www.gofundme.com/syvecs-pnp-...he-955-cayenne a bit lately and making some changes/updates here and there.
The Cayenne is running strong and all sorted out ready for tuning and my fuel system mods. I have made some updates on my https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTG...N88Hp22i5xe5yg channel and my build thread here. The graphics card on my computer went out a while back and those hard drives have all my pics and info for bringing my build thread here up to date. I just haven't had much time to do anything with it.
As for the gofundme and tuning deal its been a bit stale and just sits there. Syvec's has been pretty much non-responsive on any level. There are a few other systems that I think could do it like Pro-EFI and Motec. Being in Tx. there are a lot of resources for those paths. From what I am quickly learning, development on a platform can range upwards of +/- $100k and I had no clue it could go that high.
This brings me to thinking about how the Gofundme can grow to adapt and change with the times and is that possible/ethical? Having a narrow focus will ultimately limit the original intention of the campaign- which is to have "A" tuning solution. Right now the plan is to tune the stock ECU first. This will be and was always going to be funded by myself. There will come a point when we are so far outside the box that any possible further development would come with a much higher price tag and that is highly dependent on the word "possible" I feel that this will be the point where deciding to invest in a different tuning platform (standalone) or continuing to develop the Bosch ecu will happen. This is originally where I intended the Syvec's to come in.To this end I will probably change the title of the Campaign and broaden the focus a bit to include other tuning options. I will issue a refund offer to the contributors and an update as to why, and let them make the decision.

The Cayenne is great! I don't talk about much as I still want some numbers/video/sounds,etc. I can tell you that the I have extremely high hopes for the combo. The spool is really really fast for this size of turbos. About 500 miles after I started driving it , a lady hit and ran me at a resturant and I have to eat that cost until she gets convicted so there went a good chunk of my tuning fund. Mild delay but I will continue to update.

Quick Reply: Mr. Haney, super impressed with the build...