Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snapped a belt.. not? what is it??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 12:05 AM
WWDB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like I'll be needing a vise to get the pulley off the assembly. Anyone in Hawaii willing to assist? I'll bring beer! Kidding, not kidding.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Serpentine pulley has a plastic lip that prevents the ribbed belt from running off-track. Appears yours finally succumbed to heat degradation and the lip started crumbling apart.... ie: it grew "teeth." The lip basically ate away at the belt ribs. It could have been MUCH worse. Consider yourself dodging a bigger bullet...
Old 07-21-2017, 01:40 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I think Dilberto is spot on. "Grew teeth" is great phrase for what happened there, LOL. The massive heat generated by the TT V8 under the hood plus plastic parts results in this kind of mess. Make sure to check all the other soft things the belt could have partially slashed through. Though not quite as impressive when a MC chain decides to let loose, it is hard to explain just how much damage one of these belts can do when they slap around inside the engine bay at speed.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:00 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Also check every other pulley in the serpentine path... alternator (turn by hand), idlers, tensioner... if one is bad, there could be others. Any bad bearing or non-freely-turning pulley (or damaged pulley, like the missing plastic on the edge of that idler) could damage a new serpentine belt quickly and lead to another belt failure. All of the grooves in the pulleys need to be in good condition so the new belt isn't chewed up. Anything with questionable bearings or visible damage should be replaced before installing a new belt.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:15 PM
WWDB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Serpentine pulley has a plastic lip that prevents the ribbed belt from running off-track. Appears yours finally succumbed to heat degradation and the lip started crumbling apart.... ie: it grew "teeth." The lip basically ate away at the belt ribs. It could have been MUCH worse. Consider yourself dodging a bigger bullet...
Good to know, Yeah I know it could have been worse, more things could have been damaged and I could have been stranded further away from home.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:19 PM
WWDB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
Also check every other pulley in the serpentine path... alternator (turn by hand), idlers, tensioner... if one is bad, there could be others. Any bad bearing or non-freely-turning pulley (or damaged pulley, like the missing plastic on the edge of that idler) could damage a new serpentine belt quickly and lead to another belt failure. All of the grooves in the pulleys need to be in good condition so the new belt isn't chewed up. Anything with questionable bearings or visible damage should be replaced before installing a new belt.
Yeah all of the other pulleys spin like new. nothing else was damaged other than the vacuum line.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:15 PM
PartsGuyGT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WWDB
OK so quick update.The Serpentine belt lost 3 ribs. 2 on the outside and one on the inner.

-A Vacuum line: going somewhere(IMAGE1)..? (Ideas/part number?) Also see image 3.

-The tensioner pulley is no good and has plastic or something on the between the wheel and the engine (IMAGE 2)

That line goes to the driver side turbo wastegate diaphram. I lost a belt once and it took out the line.

Item number 5

Old 07-22-2017, 02:33 AM
WWDB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PartsGuyGT
That line goes to the driver side turbo wastegate diaphram. I lost a belt once and it took out the line.

Item number 5

Nice! thanks for the info. I am ordering parts this weekend after I pull out the bad pulley.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:26 PM
Mark7000
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

It looks like I'll be needing a vise to get the pulley off the assembly. Anyone in Hawaii willing to assist? I'll bring beer! Kidding, not kidding.
Well.. darn it.. Not only am I on the wrong island, but am in Dallas for the next few weeks.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:32 PM
WWDB
Intermediate

Item number 5

So I looked in Pelican Parts, can anyone verify this is the correct part?
What does it do? Does it have oil in it or is it a vacuum line?

948-110-656-54-OEM

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...110-656-54-OEM
Old 07-25-2017, 01:59 PM
PartsGuyGT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I looked in Pelican Parts, can anyone verify this is the correct part?
What does it do? Does it have oil in it or is it a vacuum line?

948-110-656-54-OEM

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...110-656-54-OEM
That number is correct. It carries vacuum to the turbocharger wastegate to regulate boost from the N75 (boost control solenoid). You should be able to make your own with high quality vacuum hose and some barbs. no need to spend that much but that's my $0.02.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:03 PM
WWDB
Intermediate

That number is correct. It carries vacuum to the turbocharger wastegate to regulate boost from the N75 (boost control solenoid). You should be able to make your own with high quality vacuum hose and some barbs. no need to spend that much but that's my $0.02.
That is what I was thinking of doing. Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:25 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I would just patch it.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:40 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
I would just patch it.

To the OP: Do yourself a favor and replace the idler pulley(s). They are cheap plastic and take out a lot of expensive parts when they fail. Ask me how I know
Old 07-30-2017, 03:48 AM
WWDB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dasams

To the OP: Do yourself a favor and replace the idler pulley(s). They are cheap plastic and take out a lot of expensive parts when they fail. Ask me how I know
Yeah so I got everything back together, (didn't see this till now). I think I'll take your advice.

I started it up and I saw an error on the dash saying something like "PSM failure workshop" - I am wondering if something else broke or maybe I loosened an electrical connection?

Here are some things I noticed:
**IMAGE 1**
Item "A" - where the plastic hose connects to the other hose below, it had split possibly as I was replacing the air filters. (fixed it)
What is that metallic item is it a catch can and (top right of the photo in that red box) and what does that hose connect to?

Item "B.1" - Hose cracked is repaired it enough so it won't leak.. (also shown in photo 2 and 3)

**Photo 3**
Item "C" - This hose (shown as the orange arrow) is not connected to anything below (just out of frame) some of it got obliterated when the belt shredded. Item 6 in the diagram below is what is missing.. what does it go to??

I'll be doing some more inspections tomorrow before I bring it home. I at least got it in front of my families home on the street for now.

Last edited by WWDB; 07-30-2017 at 04:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Snapped a belt.. not? what is it??