Sponsored by:

Silver Trim Color

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:52 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

Received 341 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Silver Trim Color

I've spent a long time looking and not finding. Anyone know a decent source online for the silver trim paint?

I'd like to paint my roof rails, silver trim on door bottoms and the rear hatch trim piece.

Just dont want to roll the dice if someone knows the right paint color codes.

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2017, 03:30 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Are you looking to paint existing silver trim the same color or what? I thought the silver trim was a satin metal finish on stainless steel or aluminum, not paint (could be mistaken about that but it doesn't look like paint). Assuming the silver finish is a metal surface treatment and not paint, it would be very difficult to duplicate the satin silver metal surface treatment's appearance with paint. You may be able to get close, but it would likely require taking a sample of the silver trim to a custom paint shop and having them match both the color and satin finish (there are LOTS of satin finishes from slightly satin to nearly "flat"). It would likely require a lot of spray-out tests to see if the custom mix matches the factory finish once it dries. All that work ends up making the paint pretty expensive... and you may end up with a paint that has to be applied with a commercial sprayer (custom mix may not give proper satin results with a DIY spray bottle). You MIGHT find that a vinyl wrap will get closer to the factory satin silver finish than paint, but a shop with a lot of wrap experience would have to evaluate the trim and finish to see if they can find a match.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:48 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

@ScootCherHienie - the roof rails and the rear hatch trim are most definitely painted. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2017, 09:21 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It might not work if it's a paint to match your existing trim but I used Classic Silver to touch up some silver on a 2006 987. I used the 2013 958 code to get a spray can from paint scratch.com. Use a flat, satin or gloss clear to finish it up.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:02 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jej3
@ScootCherHienie - the roof rails and the rear hatch trim are most definitely painted. Thanks!
Perhaps yours have been painted at some point, but I can say with 100% certainty that the rear hatch trim on my 04 ctt was stamped aluminum with a brushed finish. I know this because it had corroded heavily on the ends and I ended up replacing it when ECS had one on sale.

I suppose it is also possible different trip packages were handled differently as I've seen some in black.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:30 AM
PartsGuyGT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check this out. I came across it when looking for paint for my Sport Design silver hatch spoiler. Might help you out. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ook-paint.html
Old 07-25-2017, 11:21 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, @partsguyGT!

AGARubberDuck - not arguing you had what you had but mine is painted from the factory.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Great find - thanks for sharing.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:24 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Did anyone try out the Spies Hecker color?

Im not convinced the trim is painted either. My 2005 CTT is all original, the trim around the windows to me is a very matte finish, which I believe is clear coat over metal, as others have mentioned. I would tend to agree the lower trim on the doors, and on the rear hatch, might be the same as the trim around the windows but I am not positive.
Now the roof rack and the sliver on the door handles, indeed is paint, and its different than the metal trim color. To me, the Spies Hecker is the correct color/paint for those parts.
Another example is, if you have the interior metal trim, I believe it is very similar to the outside metal trim, its a metal, that has a matte finish over it. I took of my gear selector center aluminum trim piece, it is not painted, its bare metal with a heavy coat of clear from what I could tell. I removed the clear, rough finish polished it, and cleared it, and it looks just like new.

Lets say the trim pieces are painted metal, for sure they are not the same color, nor the same finish/clear as the door handles or roof rack, that I am sure of.

The pics shown in the link to the spies hecker info are color plastic pieces, not the same as the aluminum trim pieces of the interior, not I believe the same as the exterior alum trim pieces.
Wish we could get a definitive answer on this!
The following users liked this post:
BobcatBrian (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 05:51 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Good question. My car has a black trim package, but one thing is painted that silver color...the rear roof spoiler top. The clear coat is failing so I'll need to address that at some point.
Old 04-02-2024, 01:50 PM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 91 Posts

Rear bumper cover is definitely metal.

I also need to respray the trim on ours. The silver paint on the door handles are also fading on ours which may be a bigger task.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:58 PM
Malibu955
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

I will say that the silver trim around my windows has faded quite a lot over the past ten years despite my best efforts to keep them cleaned and protected and have faded to a dull silver matte finish. The B and C pillars and the trim on the bottom of the doors have not faded, so either they are a slightly different finish or a different material. The silver trim around the windows used to have a similar look and finish to those pillars. I'm in the process of swapping all of the window trim out to matte black like the GTS cars have.

The trunk strip below the rear window is a similar finish to the door surrounds and ended up fading pretty badly and unevenly. The replacement part has a similar sheen and look as the B and C pillars do. None of the parts appear to be actually painted, including the roof rails.

This thread is great timing though as I was looking at my rails which have also faded and wondering how best to restore them since they don't appear to be painted. My car is Crystal Silver and they are definitely a different color; more of a matte silver finish like the other trim. I'll probably end up giving that Spies Hecker color a try at some point soon.

Quick Reply: Silver Trim Color