Notices

Flat 6 to V8 in 2000 Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:11 PM
School Noscope
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat 6 to V8 in 2000 Boxster?

Let me give you some background information as to what I am about to ask before I ask it. If you don't care then here's the general info but it will help if you read this whole thing. I am getting a 2000 boxster and I want to swap the h6 for a v8. I have a 302 bored 30 over so technically it's 306 and its 5.0 I think. How much will it cost to swap it out including labor at a Porsche mechanic near me?
I am getting my license in just about a month and a few months ago I saved up and bought a 79 mustang someone was getting rid of. They were stripping it and making a race car out of it so they took everything out of it and replaced it with 89 mustang parts and that includes the engine. I have a v8 302 5.0 bored 30 over so it's actually a 306 but that's not a huge issue. I am selling the car because it is too big of a project for just myself because my dad bailed on me because of other reasons unrelated. I'm saving and buying a 2000 pirahe boxster and as you may know it has an inline 6 cylinder motor. I'm not necessarily asking if it is a GOOD idea because I know it isn't. However it is just a cool idea I had in my head instead of dishing out 4 grand for a Porsche turbo, how much would it cost labor included to swap out the h6 for my v8? I think the mechanics cost 150 or 175 an hour so I'm not sure how much it will cost. Anyone done anything like it? Is it more feasible to buy a turbo or supercharger? I heard the cylinder walls are prone to blowing up if you put a turbo in the h6 so that's the main reason I was looking for the engine swap and also I would theoretically have more freedom to put twin turbos in the car after if I swapped engines. What other parts would I have to buy if I did this? Again what's the total cost roughly going to be? Would this even fit? I'm not usually a Porsche guy I'm more of a muscle guy but I have to say this specific model has grown on me quite a bit. It sounds like I'm all about the power in cars and I want to ruin the Porsche but it's quite the opposite. I've heard second hand from some people saying the engine is unreliable and is very thin and yada yada yada. Not really worried about what the price is because I will just have to save up some more money and work harder to get it. If you don't recommend doing this, what do you recommend? I could possibly trade the v8 for a v6 and get some more power compared to the h6. I know the car won't be balanced but that's not really what matters to me.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:11 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I would suggest selling the 79' stang and not buying a 2000 boxster.
Buy something a little more realistic with less headaces.

(FWIW, the 79' stang would be an easier project to finish as opposed to a v8 boxster..and a v8 boxster will be worth less then half of what you paid for it when you are done.)

The early boxster engines all had their faults. Alot of them are suffering failures. You can buy them really cheap. Trouble is if you have to replace a blown engine you might end up spending more then you had planned.
V8 swap is bad idea. Turbo or supercharger is also a bad idea.
It wasnt until 2009 when they switched to DFI that they became more reliable.

Personally, the coolist thing to do to an early boxster is convert it to a spec racer or convert it to an electric vehicle.

Nothing cheap about porsches. But they are great to drive.

I recommend you buy a FFR cobra and put all your 1989 mustang running gear into it and build it in your garage.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:16 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of wisdom in the reply ^ but if your hellbent on the swap, I would check out renegade hybrids website from Las Vegas. A lighter weight ls1 might be a better fit being so compact.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:55 PM
School Noscope
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for that by the way. It was just an idea I cooked up and was stewing on for quite some time. Probably not a great idea to swap it for an inline 8 then huh 😂. I love boxsters as much as mustangs so I think I will stick with the boxster or save up a little more and get some old 911 but probably not. After a few years I may sell the car but I have no idea. Are there any different engines that are h6's that are more reliable that I could put in it?
Old 06-25-2017, 07:38 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

^
generation boxsters are limited to the first generation engines.
You could stick a Porsche 996 3.6 carrera motor in it, but alas they are also getting harder to find and also prone to failures like the Gen 1 boxster motor.

The computer in the first generation will not talk to the newer DFI boxster motors.

the direct fuel injection engines in the 2009+ cayman and boxster are a safe place to be.
They are reliable, tunable, and you can also swap them to the 911 3.8L motor if need be for more power.

If you find a decent 1978-1983 porshe 911SC for $20-30k, then that would be fun.

Quick Reply: Flat 6 to V8 in 2000 Boxster?