Notices

Jackpoint Jackstands?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 01:27 AM
Bimmer-Bob
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jackpoint Jackstands?

So I've been shopping for an affordable solution to get my cars up in the air, all four wheels off the ground. Recently I stumbled upon Jackpoint Jackstands, and it seems like Rennlist has the highest density of users of the product, as far as I could tell, so I thought I'd come here to ask a few questions.

I've got a couple of cars I'm working on at the moment, and so far for most jobs, I've managed to get by with ramps, or by jacking up one end at a time on cheapo stands. I've done my fair share of paying other people to do work on my cars, too, but going forward, I'm trying to avoid that as much as possible, both to save some cash on labor costs, and just because I enjoy working on/learning about my cars.

Enter the need for a lift. It's just not practical to do some jobs without being able to get a car in the air with the wheels off. I've been going back and forth between the QuickJack and the MaxJax, or something similar, when someone pointed me in the direction of the Jackpoints.

Okay, I get that they're not a lift. They're just very expensive jackstands, but with a novel (and quite brilliant!) means of allowing one to use the same lift point for both jack and stand. Now, the appeal here is obviously cost - but I do also like the elegant simplicity of just using jack stands that can't really fail and can be used anywhere.

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on these but would love to hear from real users first - my one really big concern is clearance. I mean, they look great for brake jobs and some suspension work, etc., but will I really be able to get under the car? I'm not expecting the same clearance of the QuickJack, or especially the MaxJax, but is there enough space to do exhaust work? Can I pull a driveshaft? Drop a transmission slightly, like to change mounts?

And will I feel safe under the car? These things look pretty squat and sturdy, so I'm not as concerned about tipping as I would be with traditional stands, but how would you feel pulling hard on a breaker bar underneath the car on these things?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Bimmer-Bob; 04-28-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:22 PM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jackpoints

I got a set no too long after I got my Porsche. I have NEVER felt good about jackstands in general and also used ramps for routine activities. I stumbled across these and bought a pair - liked them so much I completed the set maybe a month later. They are plenty good for doing just about anything, but it is tight underneath the car - especially if you're a beefy guy. I seem to remember at the time that they were working on something that would give you a few extra inches, but I haven't been back to the site in a while.

R
Old 05-06-2017, 05:28 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Here are a couple pix of my Cayman. Me thinks there's plenty of clearance for exhaust work.

Eddie
Attached Images   
Old 05-16-2017, 08:14 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

i bought the quickjack. i like it. if I'm getting under the car, I still place 4 jacks stands for added safety.

not released to the market yet, but check out rennstand. like jackpoint but more versatile imho
Old 05-27-2017, 07:44 PM
Bimmer-Bob
5th Gear

Ended up going for the JackPoints. Hardest part to swallow was the shipping cost!

Those RennStands look pretty cool, and the target price point is attractive, but I'm afraid that they may end up being vaporware, or at least stuck in development hell a lot longer than I'm willing to wait. I've already deferred some maintenance that I'd rather not have, at this point.

Also, they don't look anywhere near as stout as the JackPoints, which is a major feature for me.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:17 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob
Ended up going for the JackPoints. Hardest part to swallow was the shipping cost!

Those RennStands look pretty cool, and the target price point is attractive, but I'm afraid that they may end up being vaporware, or at least stuck in development hell a lot longer than I'm willing to wait. I've already deferred some maintenance that I'd rather not have, at this point.

Also, they don't look anywhere near as stout as the JackPoints, which is a major feature for me.

Where did you get yours? The jackpointjackstands website says "Availability: Back Ordered" and they're $299 for a pair... pricey for a hunk of cast metal, but looks like the best way to raise the back end to do my own exhaust system install...
Old 06-12-2017, 10:40 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

Unfortunately the stands are back ordered due to orders outpacing production. We're actually making more stands right now than ever before but just can't keep up. One reason is they became popular with several other makes of cars and the demand was something we didn't anticipate. We're shipping stands every week but the wait is about 3 weeks. Sorry.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:23 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to expand the operation!
Old 06-19-2017, 02:06 AM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob

What is the target for rennstands?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:42 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoint
Unfortunately the stands are back ordered due to orders outpacing production. We're actually making more stands right now than ever before but just can't keep up. One reason is they became popular with several other makes of cars and the demand was something we didn't anticipate. We're shipping stands every week but the wait is about 3 weeks. Sorry.
So I guess based on this a set 4-6" taller isn't coming out any time soon. Or even better, a set of stackable 1" base spacers (u shaped and fit underneath).
Old 07-02-2017, 01:51 AM
Bimmer-Bob
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jpoint
Got my stands delivered last weekend, and finally had the time to put them to use. I've been needing to change out the gear oil in my BMW's LSD, and had to have the car level so I put all four corners up. Because of the short wheelbase and low ride height, I ended up having to get creative with a combination of ramps and two jacks, but I got it figured out eventually. Worked out great, and as you can see, there was plenty of room to work down there. Thanks!

Name:  4 in the air.jpg
Views: 4442
Size:  757.2 KB

Name:  diff fluid.jpg
Views: 4309
Size:  640.1 KB
Old 07-02-2017, 02:45 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

yikes they are pricey...i got this scissor lift for 1k best money spent
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
Winnetka (01-28-2024)
Old 07-08-2017, 05:43 PM
GearC4Se
Rennlist Member

I also have a set of Jackpoints and really like them, and they make adapters for other makes so if you have a Porsche and BMW or MB they work equally well.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:43 PM
Suede
Intermediate

I love them. very stable!
Old 04-28-2019, 12:59 AM
Johnny Five
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 195 Posts

Bump. About to pull the trigger. Is there room under the Jackpoints for an exhaust swap on a 991 3RS? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Jackpoint Jackstands?