Notices

Softtronic Ecu flash for 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 09:06 AM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Softtronic Ecu flash for 997.2

My 997.2 c4s is stock outside of dual Fabspeed intake - anyone happy with ecu flash from softtronic on their 997.2? They are only a few towns away....
Old 06-23-2016, 09:32 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

I"m not an expert in anything other than saltwater aquariums, but I did recently get a Tune done at my local well known race shop. This shop has had many customers with podium finishes in PCA races including the owner. The shop claimed that the tune they supplied was slightly better than the Softronic Tune (Softronic is close to me as well) and they claimed "close to 20 hp" on the dyno (although I did not yet get a copy of the dyno test).

Long story short, before the Tune Simon Kirkby drove my car at Lime Rock Park and turned 1:02:9 to 1:03:9 after the Tune he turned 1:02.6 to 1:03.6. Also data from my SOLO DL shows peak lateral acceleration exactly the same pre-tune and post-tune.

The Tune was something like $1200. Not sure about that value . . .

But, only one guys anecdotal experience on the internet so take that with the proverbial "grain of salt".

Of course, if I were a podium seeking racer and needed every last tenth of a second the value equation would be different, but as I did not "feel" any difference, and as this was only a DE car, again not sure it was worth it.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I had it done by Softronic few weeks ago , the Fabspeed intake and the ecu coupling definitely made a bit of a difference.....the car feels more alive with ecu, better throttle response - worth 1000k for type of driving I do? no - but nonetheless I enjoy "tinkering" with this stuff - I also like the fact that Scott is 20 minutes away in case of an issue....
Old 06-23-2016, 09:06 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
.....the car feels more alive with ecu, better throttle response - worth 1000k for type of driving I do?
I apologize because I know this comes across as disrespectful, but I"m just speaking what is honestly on my mind.

I have heard this term "better throttle response" many times before. Here's the thing I have flown planes from F-16s to Boeing 777s, driven Porsches, Ferraris, Mustangs, Corvettes, and many other high performance cars. I don't have a ton of track time, but I have been "messing" with cars since before I had a license.

I felt no difference, what so ever, in my throttle after the tune.

Again, I apologize for sounding arrogant and disrespectful that is not my intention. I just want to emphasize that I have had a totally different experience.

Truth is after talking to Dan Jacobs of Hairy Dog Grrrrage, I came to the conclusion that the whole "tuning" thing is mostly over promoted. I think in a Turbo it's a different story, but for a normally aspirated engine, especially a Porsche engine, I don't think the manufacturers leave much power on the table.

Unless, you are counting tenths of seconds for your race.

Just one guys opinion, and in no way meant to disregard your experience. It's the internet, and I'm just offering one added opinion.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:21 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
for a normally aspirated engine, especially a Porsche engine, I don't think the manufacturers leave much power on the table.
Totally agree for a completely stock engine. If you've allowed the engine to inhale and exhale air more efficiently via aftermarket or OEM performance parts then you need to tune the ECU map to take advantage of that extra breathing. That's where an ECU tune really shows its colors.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:13 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

My Buddy has REVO on his 997.1 and he was very impressed with the results. Says the car woke up allot and added to his driving experience.

Quick Reply: Softtronic Ecu flash for 997.2