Notices

Flat 6 Innovations

Old 11-05-2015, 07:42 PM
ajsimpson99
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Flat 6 Innovations

Hi guys, I'm not a regular on this forum but rather a lurker. I just thought I'd share my engine performance upgrade that I just got back from Jake Rabey's place, Flat 6 Innovations. I'm sure that most of you know of or have heard of Jake already. Over the past year and a half or so, I've had the opportunity to attend a few of Jakes classes which were awesome and boy did I learn a lot about my 1999 996. Long story short I ended up taking my 3.4 down to Jake, stood in line and after the year long scheduled wait time my car was delivered back home to me safe and sound yesterday. I promptly put it in the garage and today I had the pleasure of driving my brand new Stage II, 3.8 liter, IMS Solution, fire breathing Carrera C2. All I can say is wow! The car is no longer like anything I remembered it being. Granted I'm still in the break-in stage but man, I can't wipe the smile from my face. The car is making more power with less revs all over the power band. The thing that's making me excited is knowing that the engine will perform much better in the future after everything wears in. My experience with Flat 6 Innovations say's that anyone fortunate enough to have their engine reconstructed by these guys are going to be happy campers.
A.J.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:48 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Time

Did Flat 6 have your car for a year?
Old 03-24-2016, 09:57 PM
peterbigblock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can confirm that Jake Raby and Flat 6 Innovations are the top flat-six Porsche engine builders in the country. Their attention to detail and insistence on top quality parts and workmanship, combined with Jake's deep, deep knowledge of Porsche flat sixes, result in engines that make great power and torque and are constructed to last.

My engine, originally a 3.2L Boxster S engine, is 3.8L and makes over 300hp and 280 lb-ft at the wheels. It is built like a tank and is used exclusively on the track, where I can run with 911s and GT4s.

Jake and his people are excellent resources, too. Nothing but good experiences with them.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:53 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Thanks guys... We try to do things a different way... All things.

As far as us having a car for a year, well, thats only the case if an engine has failed and the owner wants to send it in early. If a build is elective we only need the car 3 months, at the end of the project. This is so we can prepare YOUR engines in the manner I have developed...
Yes, our completion times are a year, right now they are 14 months, actually.. It NEVER slows down to less than 1 year. Never.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:56 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since Jake is posting here, I just took the time to read the literature on his site.

As a recent purchaser of an M97 987.1 Cayman S 3.4, I am curious what Jake and other knowledgeable people think of the M97 versus the M96 for reliability with an eye to price/performance.

With the non-serviceable IMS bearing in the M97, and a wide variety of viewpoints about the durability of the changed bearing in the M97, it presents a pricy path to resolution.

Afterward, i figure we could make an oil thread. :-)
Old 04-11-2016, 04:29 PM
nk215
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys should hire more ppl to get more customers when there are still many 966/977.1 on the road to get the most out of your invested time on the engine
Old 04-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nk215
You guys should hire more ppl to get more customers when there are still many 966/977.1 on the road to get the most out of your invested time on the engine
Nope.. That's when quantity takes the place of quality. Then we are just like all the other guys..
Old 06-05-2016, 02:17 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Either a customer or Jake mind giving a swag on what kind of top end one can expect on a Raby rebuilt 996.2 3.6L-->3.8L motor with the fun stuff like Plenum-TB-Intake mods as well as headers-cats-bypass + chip? I'm harboring a dream of a well built 3.8L C2 with high quality breathing mods alongside suspension rework & rebuilt shifter. Never gonna match a GT3 and that's not the goal. A unique, clean, reliable and powerful 911. Following in the tradition of prior generations by embracing a talented tuner without compromising on reliability.

Which begs the question, have any sold? It's better than an X51..

fwiw my Assumptions are a +40hp/tq improvement on the upper end with ~25hp/tq improvement on the low and top end. The breathing mods in & out should put around 30-50, so that puts top end of around 330-340whp and slightly less torque.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:25 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Either a customer or Jake mind giving a swag on what kind of top end one can expect on a Raby rebuilt 996.2 3.6L-->3.8L motor with the fun stuff like Plenum-TB-Intake mods as well as headers-cats-bypass + chip? I'm harboring a dream of a well built 3.8L C2 with high quality breathing mods alongside suspension rework & rebuilt shifter. Never gonna match a GT3 and that's not the goal. A unique, clean, reliable and powerful 911. Following in the tradition of prior generations by embracing a talented tuner without compromising on reliability.

Which begs the question, have any sold? It's better than an X51..
This is my R51 package. It comes only in 4.0L and includes my CNC R51 heads, cams, all intake and exhaust. It's developed as one package, no options available.

Makes around 365HP at the rear wheels and around 315# of torque. We build a max of 4 of them per year, Ltusler here on RL has one.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:43 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for clarifying, those are serious numbers. I'm planning to drive & enjoy my new solution-equipped 3.6l. When the time comes I see a lot of long term value in going with what is likely a middle or lower cost build of yours.

FYI, have an acquaintance with an 07 C2 cab, 20k miles just a beach car. IMSsolution on that, do you have a flat quote for that motor assuming it passes pre-install inspection? I explained how the 997.1 single row is stronger than my 996.2 so the choice isn't quite the same, but my gut says the market value of a 997 itself warrants the replacement.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Thanks for clarifying, those are serious numbers. I'm planning to drive & enjoy my new solution-equipped 3.6l. When the time comes I see a lot of long term value in going with what is likely a middle or lower cost build of yours.

FYI, have an acquaintance with an 07 C2 cab, 20k miles just a beach car. IMSsolution on that, do you have a flat quote for that motor assuming it passes pre-install inspection? I explained how the 997.1 single row is stronger than my 996.2 so the choice isn't quite the same, but my gut says the market value of a 997 itself warrants the replacement.
Your 07' can only see my IMS Solution if the entire engine is disassembled to allow this. The access port is too small to allow the original bearing to be removed for a standard IMS Retrofit to be performed. The access port is roughly 26% too small to allow for this to happen. No big deal, as The IMS Solution is standard for ALL my 997.1 based performance engines.

Today most all our engines are at least built to "The Track Performer" state. We sell fewer and fewer "Street Performers" yearly, as the "Street Performer Plus" has taken over the old for the street guys that want big power. If the car will see the track (at all!) then it must be built to at least "The Track Performer" level.

Here I rate, and offer engines by preparation, and robustness, not overall power output.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:34 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Jake, do you do 9A1 4.0 builds? Or are you sticking to the Mezger engines for now?

Edit: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=176298 Nevermind.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:40 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Jake, do you do 9A1 4.0 builds? Or are you sticking to the Mezger engines for now?
My company builds all Porsche engines from 1950- present day, and develops components and fixes sold worldwide by LN Engineering .

We built the first Performance 9a1 in the US, and arguably, the World. The 4.2L engine, known as "9a1X" was fitted to Cayman X and featured in the December 2013 issue of Panorama Magazine, pages 66-71.

We do it all, but only engines... Nothing else.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:28 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Are there any comparison videos or any good videos at all of a 996 Running your engine Jake? For example, watching a good video of a tuned car like this one from the UK gets me excited about the 996 and after hearing so much about your engines it would be cool to see them in action.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:39 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
Are there any comparison videos or any good videos at all of a 996 Running your engine Jake? For example, watching a good video of a tuned car like this one from the UK gets me excited about the 996 and after hearing so much about your engines it would be cool to see them in action
Nope.. Nothing like that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flat 6 Innovations