Notices

DIY BIGGER BRAKE DUCTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 06:25 PM
acropora157
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY BIGGER BRAKE DUCTS

​The brake ducts on 987 Caymans are either not very good up front or missing in the back. So like others here, I purchased the relatively inexpensive front GT-3 Brake ducts. In the rear I used 996 Turbo brake ducts with plenty of cutting to make them work. The GT-2 front brake ducts are very good but expensive and they need to be modified to work. So I had planned on riveting the stock brake ducts that I removed onto the GT-3 ducts ,as an extension. However a friend of mine, had a roll of 1/8" or so rigid plastic available.So we both used this plastic to make our own. Simply cut the plastic with aviator snips and rivet a 3-4" wide piece, longer than the existing ducts, onto each one of the brake ducts. Then trim each one down to size as needed. Do this when they are installed on your car.The ground clearance of your car will determine the amount of trimming needed. While you are there, drill some holes for adding cable ties to better help keep the ducts in place.
I spray painted them black at that point. I took a ride and I now see that more trimming is needed, since my Cayman S is very low with the Billsteins I have installed. So I will trim them more at the leading edge. I will be back on the track next week at Lime Rock to see how they work. I'm not sure how much they will do, but it's got to help.
Attached Images    
Old 04-13-2016, 09:37 AM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did it help?

Quick Reply: DIY BIGGER BRAKE DUCTS