Notices

Porsche Suspension

Old 02-17-2015, 01:33 PM
StartedJDM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Suspension

Hello Rennlist Community,
This is my first post. I personally have driven a 370z for the past three years, and modified it with coilovers, sways, intake, exhaust, wheels etc. I am very familiar with bolt on installations and parts.

However, I have decided to sell the 370z and me and my father recently purchased a 2005 C2S to modify for auto cross/ light tracking. (The Z was already more than capable, but it was at 93k and depreciation isn't worth sitting on a memory)

Anyways, the bulk of this post comes down to my new Porsche. Already added is the Carbon Intake, Headers and Cats, and the GT3 exhaust system. The things loud as all hell, but right now I'm sitting on a car that handles less aggressively than my 370z and shares the same acceleration.

I have been trying to do reading and searching, but hell, I can't find any information on how I should proceed.
1) I installed KW V1 coilovers on a 370z. That means no PASM, and none of the adjusting required on the V3. Is this a reasonable self install for someone with limited Porsche experience?
2) How can I proceed in the direction of increasing power or recovering lost power? Mostly just trying to build this up as an N/A.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:12 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would start by making sure you don't get oil starvation issues. These engines aren't the most reliable Porsche has ever built, especially when you start tracking them on grippy tires.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...20Sump%2520Kit
Old 02-20-2015, 11:16 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Next I would install GT3 control arms so you can get enough camber dialed in. Concerning coilovers, KW V1 is good to lower your car on the street, but I would think that for the track more adjustability is needed.

I would have spent the money you used on intake/exhaust on getting a decent suspension on the car. It's not as if the car is short on power on track. You can get KW or Bilstein suspension that connects to the car's PASM system, or if you feel like fiddling a lot get a KW V3. If you don't like fiddling and want easy changes use a Bilstein PSS10. That one you can change settings on without removing wheels and it's on adjustment for compression and rebound. All depends on what you want to do.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:05 PM
FunkyJunk
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bilstein PSS9 is a good compromise between street and track use.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:30 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by FunkyJunk
Bilstein PSS9 is a good compromise between street and track use.
PSS10 = PSS9. For older models it usually is a PSS9, for newer a PSS10.

9 -> 9 clicks
10 -> 10 clicks.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:57 PM
acropora157
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I would start by making sure you don't get oil starvation issues. These engines aren't the most reliable Porsche has ever built, especially when you start tracking them on grippy tires.
Good advise above. Too often a good number of people will start with go fast mods and find out that they are building on a faulty foundation. Best to work on the oil starvation issue , IMS retrofit if applicable and do some more online research since the mods are costly and they are not bullet proof. Search oil starvation here and on other boards.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Suspension