Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Performance Modifications Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/performance-modifications-forum-66/)
-   -   Engine Mods (https://rennlist.com/forums/performance-modifications-forum/85214-engine-mods.html)

MN_944S 08-25-2003 05:32 PM

Engine Mods

I have a 87' 944S and would like to know what I can do for increased horse power. Most will say put the money in suspension/brakes and I agree. But beyond that are there things one can do without getting to exotic? I am think exhaust and K&N to start? I would also like to know what brand exhaust people are using out there. Looking for throwty sound.:cheers:

M758 08-26-2003 07:15 PM

You don't want to hear it, but nothing short of exotic stuff will yield much of any hp.
:(

MN_944S 08-27-2003 08:52 AM

You are right M758. I am a little surprised by the lack engine upgrades? Actually it is hard just finding a repair manual that covers the "S" model?
Thanks for the reply

Lousailor 09-06-2003 04:15 AM

I've added a cone filter, Jacobs Omni Magnum ignition and wires, and a Flowmaster muffler, and the round throttle cam. All else stock. Don't have the extra bucks for a dyno, but it's a lot more fun to drive, and definitely has a new growl.

Louie

graham_mitchell 09-06-2003 11:03 AM

Be careful of mods such as the K&N filter. In the 993 forum, people have tried and measured this mod only to find it LOWERS the power output! The 944 may be different but I doubt it. I have also heard stories of the rubber surround breaking up and the particles entering the engine. Not good...

BMC http://www.bmcairfilter.com/ has a better rep but once again I suggest you research whether there is any benefit to be had from this modification.

Other mods can increase top end power at expense of lower end which may not suit the car or your driving style.

Check out the Unichip (piggy back engine computer). It is not expensive but seems to me to be the best bang for the buck in the +10-20% power range. For much more than that, you need to consider bore enlargement, turbo charging, super charging, etc. Not cheap.

Cheapest performance mod is reducing the weight of the car by removing unnecessary items! I am up to 70kg (154lbs) so far... Less weight means better acceleration, braking and cornering.

MN_944S 09-06-2003 12:32 PM

Thanks for the input Lousailor and Graham. I was alway curious about the K&N filters and what you said Graham makes sense. I will investigate the products mentioned. I have heard that chipping the car does not bring much for the N/A's. Lousailor where did you buy your parts? I am interested in exhaust,wires and round cam.
Any help there would be great. My email is kmeacham@aol.com.
Thanks again gents:D

Lousailor 09-07-2003 02:57 AM

Some I bought direct from a parts supplier, like the wires and throttle cam (Performance Products), others I shopped aroung the classifieds and Ebay, like the Cat back Flowmaster, air filter, and Omni Magnum. Just be careful and try to deal with what seem to be experienced sellers with good feedback.

Louie

Charlie944 09-08-2003 01:10 AM

Good day MN944S et all, IMHO the SFR exhaust (~$350) would be a nice addition to your car, for power, sound and aesthetics. I however have a B&B I bought at the Hershey Swap meet in 02'. New the cheapest I found was at Windward Performance for ~ $650. The B&B for me turned out to be the culmination of performance, uncanny sound, and craftsmanship I was looking for. It certainly added a throttle response and higher end power to my 1984 944. I feel that it or something similar would benefit your 'S' with its 6800 redline. I am always getting compliments on the cars sound. It really has a nice deep and throaty idle along with a symphonic growl at around 2800-3200rpm, especially when you get next to cement buildings/walls. She really starts to howl though at 4400 and above. In addition you might want to consider a universal Borla XR-1 SS muffler out of Summit or Jegs with a custom cat-back pipe made up if you want to save a few $'s.

I also have a set of Magnecore KV-85 ignition cables, that I feel are of great quality and looks (red). I bough them from Magnecore direct for around $75 or I know Windward Perf sells them as well. Jacobs Electronics has a nice set of wires also for a great price.

I recently installed a Jacobs Omni Magnum ignition coil...it has a 2 variable magnetic coils which produce coil power up to 10,500rpm. Bought it off of ebay for ~ $100. It is a great unit because it senses load, acceleration etc. Which will intensify spark output when you need it. And goes to normal when cruising so that the spark does not blow out the combustion. I felt that it increased torque nicely and helped that hesitation spot around 3000rpm...which is when the Bosh L-Jetronic FI goes lean under a load. A fix for that would be a MicroDynamics Rising-Rate FPR. But with that added fuel you will need added airflow to balance out the fuel and exhaust. I find the Guru Digital MAF link kit and a Ford MAF would fill that void. I have not tried the MAF though, but would like to. I think they are good for 12-14hp. NA's are tricky because you have to balance out the intake and exhaust harmonics to extract the power out of your mods. Blaszak Precision Motorsports has available a chip specifically for the 'S' model. It smoothes out the torque band so as to cure the on/off power of the DOHC. Quite popular with the 'S' crowd.

Hope this helps!

Take Care!

~ Charles

P.S. I have no affiliation with any of the companies formentioned, I am just a satisfied customer or heard great things about the companies listed

crushingday 09-15-2003 05:44 AM

MN944S. I have an 87 944S/968 conversion. Prio to the conversion I put in a B&B cat-back stainless exhaust. The car did seem to have more torque. the sound is nice as well, although it may render your stereo useless at highway speeds.

As for the round throttle cam,... you do not need one. The 944S came with a round cam. That upgrade is for earlier cars.

MN_944S 09-15-2003 09:26 AM

Thanks Crushingday!
So you put a 3.0L in your 944S? Was that hard?General cost? Did your K&N help with power?
Thanks

Jim @ EuroWerks 10-03-2003 12:51 AM

Back in the day I found if you advance the cams to 1.9mm intake lift @ TDC the car idles smooth and accelerates much better. The engine just breaths to well! I know factory spec is 1.4 +- .1 . The performance did not start to fall off until I went from 1.9 to 1.95. From my experience, stop at 1.9. No we did not incounter any engine damage.

1FastRedSC 10-09-2003 05:45 PM

Porsche mufflers for the most part flow really well, i tried 3 different mufflers on my old 51 and 2 different ones on my previous 44. No really increase in power, but noticiable increase in noise and better sounding car overall. I think SFR makes an equal length header for the DOHC engines now. And for muffler, i'm been eyeing the spintech mufflers for my 911 because they seem to making a real name for themselves in the drag racing world.

jim3 10-28-2003 06:24 PM

For the street, I run the cat with a universal 2 1/2 inch Borla XR-1 racing muffler welded to the end of the stock rear pipe. It's a center in center out muffler and has the most wonderful deep sound. Don't try and use without cat, I needed earplugs on the street and it would pass Lime Rock noise restrictions for the PCA Clun Race! If you want to run without the cat, the summit racing muffler @ $19.95 was dynoed to give the same or better power as 8 other mufflers under $70, the sound is louder but not as deep.

jim3 10-28-2003 06:26 PM

Sorry, should have reviewed first, without cat, the xr-1 wouldn't pass LR noise restrictions and the summit muffler is louder than the Borla with the cat.

ebaker 10-29-2003 02:07 AM

jim3 do you have a link to the dyno tests of the under $70 mufflers?