Notices

How far to mod 997hp, really (for track fun)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:29 AM
Camisade
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far to mod 997hp, really (for track fun)?

So, there's this old-school saying that "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow." Apparently "old school" also means "self-limiting," because those sages seem incapable of seeing the third option: Driving a fast car fast!

Tracks in my area certainly have lots of challenging turns, but also sport long-enough straightaways that a high-hp car can get beyond 150mph and even 165mph (or more) before hitting their brake point.

I've gone from a stock 997.2 GT3, which was fun, to a stock 991 TTS, which is even more fun for me, because it's faster (although sadly tire limited). But my 991 TTS isn't really a practical track car IMO, so I'm leaning toward a tuned up 996TT(S) or 997TT(S).

Of course, being out on the track on a lapping day or HPDE isn't a competition; I'm there for the skill development, sheer fun and exhilaration. But, let's be honest, I'd like not to be reeled in quite so handily by similarly skilled drivers in their tuned R35 GT-R P700's, the new Vipers with their mad HP and crazy contact patch acreage, and the odd Lingenfelter Corvette. :-)

So, setting aside that old saw about straights being for fast cars and turns being for fast drivers, does anyone here have any actual experience with tracking a streetable AWD 911 that's tuned beyond ~650hp? Assuming the car is built as a system, with the commensurate suspension and brake enhancements, and track tires, where does the horsepower become unusable (or the torque curves too radical for realistic management (by a non-professional!) on track out? 700hp? 800hp?

I'd love to hear the voice of experience--especially if anyone's willing to admit that they tuned their car too aggressively, and wished they'd not gone for that extra 50hp!
Old 03-11-2015, 10:18 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Camisade
So, there's this old-school saying that "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow." Apparently "old school" also means "self-limiting," because those sages seem incapable of seeing the third option: Driving a fast car fast!

Tracks in my area certainly have lots of challenging turns, but also sport long-enough straightaways that a high-hp car can get beyond 150mph and even 165mph (or more) before hitting their brake point.

I've gone from a stock 997.2 GT3, which was fun, to a stock 991 TTS, which is even more fun for me, because it's faster (although sadly tire limited). But my 991 TTS isn't really a practical track car IMO, so I'm leaning toward a tuned up 996TT(S) or 997TT(S).

Of course, being out on the track on a lapping day or HPDE isn't a competition; I'm there for the skill development, sheer fun and exhilaration. But, let's be honest, I'd like not to be reeled in quite so handily by similarly skilled drivers in their tuned R35 GT-R P700's, the new Vipers with their mad HP and crazy contact patch acreage, and the odd Lingenfelter Corvette. :-)

So, setting aside that old saw about straights being for fast cars and turns being for fast drivers, does anyone here have any actual experience with tracking a streetable AWD 911 that's tuned beyond ~650hp? Assuming the car is built as a system, with the commensurate suspension and brake enhancements, and track tires, where does the horsepower become unusable (or the torque curves too radical for realistic management (by a non-professional!) on track out? 700hp? 800hp?

I'd love to hear the voice of experience--especially if anyone's willing to admit that they tuned their car too aggressively, and wished they'd not gone for that extra 50hp!
The reason you're not getting a response is because everyone knows you're full of it.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

just strap a jet engine to the car. very simple. run stand alone ecu and msd
you be very fast.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:58 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go get a Spec Miata...call us when you can run it with those pesky Vipers and perhaps you'll get some sympathy.

Or not.

Otherwise, just drive flat out to win your DE.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:26 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Camisade

You should have kept your 997.2GT3 as it is the best track car of the litter you are talking about...

The 991TT is a rocket ship on and off the track. It is indeed a luxo GT however vs. track rat.
Not sure why you think a 996TT or a 997TT would be more practical for track compared to your 991TT? They are the same but with less power.

The driving characteristics of awd on the track can be a nuisance to some drivers.
But it is doable. Gobs of HP are also useable on the track but for most D.E drivers it only causes mistakes more then making up for mistakes....

You appear to be an awd, automatic tranny turbo car kind of guy.

My advise would be to continue with you 991TT.
Give it an exhaust, tune and alignment. Proper pads and sticky tires.
You should run with the the GTR and Vipers all day long...

Or if you really like the track, trade the 991TT for a 991GT3 to get the PDK-S and more track focused suspension.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:14 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you think a 991TT is more fun on track than a 997.2 GT3 it is time to get a coach ...
Old 06-03-2015, 11:59 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Why bother? Just slap a set of hoosiers on and call it a day - that's the easiest way to buy the race. You may find the grip makes it a lot more fun too. If that fails, buy a Stohr.

By the way, a large part of the track junkies are less interested in winning than in having a good time. Your post is a bad fit to the culture as it reads like you are motivated as much by a need for dominance as by a love of the sport.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:58 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I suggest you delete this thread and redeem yourself

Quick Reply: How far to mod 997hp, really (for track fun)?