Notices

aftermarket upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:56 AM
chbernat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket upgrades

I have a 997.2 c2 and am tracking the vehicle 10-12 times a year. The only upgrade I have done is the ECU upgrade and am happy with the result. I am looking at doing some small upgrades myself to help with performance...I would like some suggestions of what to modify first etc and results people are having after doing this. I see a lot on the manufacture websites claiming horse power etc but I wanted to get real feedback. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:48 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, i'm surprised you're happy with teh ECU...

on NA cars they rarely do much. On turbos, its a different story. That's where chips got their cred - turn up that boost!

Have you looked at pedrosgarage.com at technotorque? Supposedly substantial. I don't do any of those things since i want to run in stock classes.

In general you can do much more with suspension than with the motor.

Grant

Originally Posted by chbernat
I have a 997.2 c2 and am tracking the vehicle 10-12 times a year. The only upgrade I have done is the ECU upgrade and am happy with the result. I am looking at doing some small upgrades myself to help with performance...I would like some suggestions of what to modify first etc and results people are having after doing this. I see a lot on the manufacture websites claiming horse power etc but I wanted to get real feedback. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:01 PM
borellidave
2nd Gear

After a good set of tires, I would start with Suspension. The best starting point and the least expensive part would be a Rear swaybar, RSS makes a great one. I would start with the rear only, to get the car to feel more neutral you need to firm up the rear. The front bar is stiff enough.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:54 PM
gfl
Racer

Default So you think the C2 understeers too much?

I don't have one, but that's not its reputation. I'm surprised.

Moreover, when one is fairly new to the track and to mods, i'd prefer to keep a car pushing a little - it tends to be a bit safer until you're ready to throttle steer your way to victory.

Say a bit more - i'm interested.

Grant

Originally Posted by borellidave
The best starting point <snip> would be a Rear swaybar, RSS makes a great one. I would start with the rear only, to get the car to feel more neutral you need to firm up the rear. The front bar is stiff enough.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:48 PM
jamm
Instructor

In general order based on experience with a 997.1 before any engine tuning including exhaust and flashing.

1. You should be figuring out what the long term intent of the car is before you do anything substantial. Your target class and competition should tell you an awful lot about what changes you need to make....generally safety and suspension come first.

2. Figure out what your 2 year budget is for the car....personally something like a third went to safety, a third to suspension and a third to consumables, including brakes and tires.

3. Without hammering too hard on safety, minimally a roll bar, harness, Hans and racing seat should be the next spend with that much time on the track. Cage if this will be a race car.

4. You'll likely need more camber to reduce tire wear and will need to get the a gt3 setup... A few good suppliers out there including rss and tarret.

5. Suspension costs what you want to pay...pss9 is the basic point of entry and goes way up from there.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:19 PM
PORSCHE_TECH
Cruisin'

Default Custom Upgrades

Hello, If anyone is looking to do custom fabrication work exhaust, turbos, tune etc. please contact Porsche_Tech. Reliable Power.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Supercharged
Intermediate

+1 on all of the above. Your suspension will make the most difference on the track. PSS9/10 is great! But get the GT2 drop links instead of the ones supplied by Bilstein. For cheap performance, consider the IPD intake plenum and have a few baffles removed from the stock mufflers. For REAL performance, consider the VFE Supercharger, 120 extra horsepower never hurts...
Old 12-06-2013, 06:29 PM
gfl
Racer

What drop links are you referring to? No drop links came with my PSS9s (986 boxster).
(by the way, i really like this setup as a very streetable track package)

I see issues with the OEM toe links, but drop links are drop links, until they perish IMNSHO.

Grant
Old 12-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Supercharged
Intermediate

The drop links supplied with the PSS10 have plastic parts that break quickly.
I was told the problem was corrected, but the replacement links were bad too.
I eventually installed the GT2 drop links to solve the problem.
Glad to hear the PSS9 can use the factory drop links :-)

Quick Reply: aftermarket upgrades