Notices

Suspension Help: Bilstein HDs + H&R Springs + RS rear sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:20 PM
ard
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Suspension Help: Bilstein HDs + H&R Springs + RS rear sway bar

Hi, I posted this in the 993 forum but didn't receive as many responses as hoped, so I am reposting here and in the Racer's forum, hoping to reach the right audience. TIA

What I have:
* Bilstein HDs (US version - not Gert's version with the extra threads)
* H&R lowering springs
* RS rear sway bar (installed "correctly" - i.e. under the toe links not above them)
* RS drop links
* ride height set a smidgeon above RS ride height

What I CANNOT do:
* set the sway bar to the stiffest setting. Even with the adjustable drop link mount on the Bilsteins set as low as it will go (sandwiched, of course between 2 lockrings), the RS drop links don't seem to be long enough to go to the innermost (i.e. stiffest) holes in the RS swaybars.
* with the car on the ground and the suspension loaded it LOOKS like there might just enough clearance for it to work, but as soon as there is any suspension droop, like when jacking the rear up, the clearance disappears. Apart from making it difficult to perform the adjustment, this lack of clearance is also alarming if the suspension travels through its normal range of motion. It would appear that the toe link would be pressing downward against the drop link if the suspension drooped.

My question
* does anyone have the same suspension setup and if so, have you been able to set the rear swaybar to full stiff?
* have you switched to other drop links? If so, which ones?

TIA
Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been helping a friend set up his 993 and based on your description, I think it may be a function of ride height. By lowering the ride height, you pull the entire suspension up and add clearance under the toe link enabling you to run to the last setting.

Again, only speculation based on what I have seen.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:52 PM
vickie channell
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile adjusting suspension

Have Moton club sport suspension with Eibach main springs on 1993 968 coupe. Have Motons set on low for daily driving now but will adjust to track in Deming NM in a few weeks. Any suggestions on settings for both Moton and springs?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:48 AM
pantera43
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not too familiar with the 993 setup. With that said you might want to look into a set of fully adjustable custom Tarret drop links. I believe Ira the owner places a small bend in his standard rear links so you will have full adjustment for the R/S rear bar.

http://www.tarett.com/items/993-964-...lnk-detail.htm

Dan
Old 02-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hopefully you figured it out by now. If not, then with the HDs you need to get a spring seat collar and a lock collar to separate the sway bar mount from the spring seat. Also, the HDs with the H&R springs and sways will be more than they can handle. One last point, Gert no longer has the exclusive on the extra threaded front shocks they have been the US standard now for 5+ years. If you did not get them, then someone sold you old stock.

Quick Reply: Suspension Help: Bilstein HDs + H&R Springs + RS rear sway bar