Durability for Texas DE's

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 03:39 PM
TX996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durability for Texas DE's

Hey everyone,

I have my 05 997S and am going to do a couple of DE events a year for fun. I live in Texas and will run here, Oklahoma and maybe other local (5 hour or so away) tracks.

Other than the tow vehicle and trailer ( I already have all that worked out, have DE'd for years) with the misc. I was and am doing the following to give the car the best shot at some fun DE time and offer the most protection for the car.

*I got an extra set of wheels and track tires - check
*Extra brake pads, bleeders, and DOT 4 Fluid that I have already fushed system with and changed to
*I bought the Third radiator kit from Porsche for what I hope is some additional cooling capacity - I will be having RUF install that for me
*I bought the GT3 front brake ducts from Suncoast (maybe minor but hey, it was cheap and the story sounded good)

Other than the obligitory pre-weekend tech inspection and oil change any other advice as far as car prep goes? My 996 had about the same minus the ducts and radiator and was fine but my 997S experience is limited so thought best to ask.

Many thanks all.... I have not run MSR in Cresson other than running (and racing) on the old short track so I am looking forward to getting a crack at the longer course. From the videos it looks like fun...
Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Not sure how fun racing on that track would be especially on the new back half but its very fun in a DE enviroment for sure. Probably not a lot of room to pass back there.

Get a decient alignment and go have fun. Sounds like you have done most of your safety mods. Get as much safety items you can and still be satisfied with its street usefullness.

See you at the track this year. Look for a Red 993 and a couple of RSAs hanging out near a couple of motorhomes and come get a brisket sandwich on sundays at lunch, our tradition... All are welcome.

I will be at Eagles canyon in early march.

Jeff
Old 02-05-2008, 12:38 AM
tangible
4th Gear

Your best call is on the 'third eye' radiator.
Installation by RUF? Could be handled by any competent shop.

Brake cooling ducts don't hurt but won't matter much for DE. Sessions are short.
Brake pads are not your problem.

SUSPENSION is your problem - not enough camber.
Get GT3 toe links so you can adjust camber - you'll need more.
Check on how adjustable your sway bars are - or not. You need adjustable.
And you need to learn how/when to adjust them.

Get a good race seat. Wallowing around in the seat kills laptimes.
Cobra, Recaro, Sparco. Pick one that's tight, not comfortable.
Don't waste your money on the Porsche Motorsports seats unless fashion is your thing.

Get a lap timer - Hot Lap or AIM.
And get a transponder - AIM.

Helmet, balaclava, suit, gloves and shoes you've already got, right?
(the balaclava saves the helmet liner, not your face so much)

Quick Reply: Durability for Texas DE's