sway bar steel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 06:31 AM
Andreas Langhoff
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post sway bar steel?

Hi to all,

does someone know what kind of steel is used for the sway bars in general? I am interested in having a sway bar fabricated, but I need to know the type of steel used. For the early 911 the front sway bar is pretty easy to fabricate, so I would like to try...

Thank you

Andreas
Old 04-08-2002, 12:30 PM
James Achard
Pro

Andreas, I would use 4130 Cond N or 4340. Both are available in bar stock and seamless tube.

Cheers, James
Old 04-09-2002, 01:27 PM
Peter Kelly
Advanced

Typically they will be heat treated after fabrication to raise their tensile strength (yield strength) so that they do not permanently bend.
Old 04-19-2002, 03:51 PM
threesticks
Advanced

I took the front anti-sway bar off of my 911 and took it to a place that burned a small amount of metal away and then ran the smoke through a spectrum analyzer and they told me that the metal was a silicon manganese steel. They also did a hardness test and it was a 32 on the Rockwell C scale. I did some research and found that it is not as good a spring material as spring steel but a little better that 4130. It is however more common in europe and not as easily found as 4130.
I ended up using 4130 that was solution heat treated and then hardened to a 32C Rockwell after I had the machining performed.
That was three years ago with many auto-Xs and track events with no problem.

I hope that this helps, Steve Frew.

Quick Reply: sway bar steel?