Notices

Considering TPC Supercharger on 993

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 03:40 PM
Philip in Bham
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Considering TPC Supercharger on 993

I really want to have the new TPC supercharger installed on my 1996 993. The car has 61,000 (truly highway) miles and the mechanic says that it is as tight and sound as any he has seen.

He also made the following comments:
1)The 993 engine is a much better candidate than the 996 engine, due to it being able to handle more stress.
2)With a stock compression ratio of 11.1 (I think), adding even 4.5 lb of boost will lead to a pretty hefty pressure.
3)The "factory" cost of a new engine (not that I would buy from the factory) is Fifty grand!

So now I need some advice please. Anyone made the transition from a 993 to a 996?
Do you like the 996 as well? Many say it's too refined and you lose that "grunt". Anyone used the kit on a 993? Could I change the pulley size and lower the 4.5lb down to something a little more safe?

I can't decide whether or not to supercharge my 993 or just buy a 2002 996. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:07 PM
Michael Ghia
Advanced

Cool

Philip,
I was lucky enough to drive the 993 shop car which Turbo Mike has at TPC when I was over there last year. The biggest difference I found was the thottle response at about 2,000rpm. It kicks you into the seat like the engine comming on the cams!
You might try talking to Henk Wisker (a buddy of mine who has raced both 993's and 996's).
Email me for his email address.
Turbo Mike is full of info about the SC kit so why not just call him about it.
Mike Ghia
Old 04-05-2002, 01:31 PM
Beetos
Intermediate

I would not worry about the 4.5psi. I just installed one on my C2, just make sure you buy the digital version of the controller. Installtion can be tricky if your not experienced, need to reroute oil and emmsions lies. You MUST buy an EFI system duty cycle meter and air fuel gauge. Once you install the kit, also hook up a test LED to the 7th injector so you are sure its firing, also, be absolutely sure you can stay rich with duty cycle within 95%, other wise it will not work properly and you run the risk of detonation. Take no chances here. I had to go to bigger injectors and fuel pump in addition to the 7th injector, even though TPC will tell you the 7th injector and timing controller (black box) 'look after everyhting'. Take you time and set it up right and you will be rewarded by a BIG smile everytime you stop on the gas, especially in 5th, doing about 60, it will pull so hard it almost hurts.....Gears changes are purley options and more for entertainment only at most any speed. Think of a torquey V8 in a light body, you get the picture.

Quick Reply: Considering TPC Supercharger on 993