More HP for Less ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 09:15 AM
Richard 92 C2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool More HP for Less ?

Hi

I' looking to get more HP from a Stock Standard 92 C2, I think I speak for a lot of people (probably to shy to ask) who would like to get a little more HP from their cars without spending loads of money ....

Can anyone suggest a couple af alternatives we could try?

Regards and thanks
Old 03-22-2002, 04:04 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depends on what you mean by a 'little more'.. heh, heh.. Those engines are pretty much tuned to the max and most free-flow mods you can do just shifts the power from the low-end to the upper-RPMs. Unless you can add the later-technologies like VarioCam+, variable-intakes and variable-exhaust, forced-induction is the only way to make significant power gains. Better bang-for-the-buck values can be had with nitrous...
Old 03-22-2002, 09:43 PM
91C2wrencher
Racer

RH, from the low bucks end of things there is not much you can do to up the HP on a 3.6, The easiest and cheapest happen to be the same things the factory did to the "cup" cars. Intake modification(factory used the drilled airbox approach, which over the years has been pretty much proven to be better than after market cone filters), Primary muffler by-pass"cup pipe"(which frees up the exhaust a little bit while not deep sixing your power curve) and the ever popular "chip" which merely extends your redline from, usually, 6800 rpm to 7300 or there abouts(this adds some impressive seat of the pants zip att the track where you would normally keep the RPM's up(careful with this though, 3.6 are notorious for swallowing vavles at these high rev's). Danno, NOS? really? are you serious? I dont know about you but I can't see melting down a perfectly good $10K engine.
Old 03-23-2002, 12:46 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
N2O isn't any more likely to melt down an engine than forced induction. Same principle - more oxygen. Doing a good job or bad job with either should get about the same result.
Old 03-23-2002, 01:17 PM
91C2wrencher
Racer

Right then! A word of clarification might be in order here. Oxygen (not air,which is 20.9% oxygen)and oil is an extremely X-plosive combo!
Old 03-23-2002, 02:30 PM
Mike Schmidt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only reason people have problems with nitrous is that they don't have a proper air/fuel ratio, or they try to get more horsepower than the engine can physicly withstand. Don't put a bigger nitrous kit on an engine that can't handle that much more power, don't let your air/fuel ratio get too lean, and you won't have a problem with nitrous. Keep in mind that your fuel pump may be limiting the amount of fuel that can be delivered, even with bigger injectors, or whatever you've done to try and provide more fuel for nitrous use. A bigger fuel pump may be needed in addition to the other modifications for more fuel. Know what your air/fuel ratio really is. Do not just guess that you should have enough addition fuel for the nitrous.
Old 03-23-2002, 10:03 PM
andy sanborn
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Don't know what you consider reasonable, but i have put in a lighted flywheel when we replaced the dual mass (which everyone should do anyway), K&N with cone filter, Cyntex chip and B&B header/exhaust.

the car is significantly faster than a stock C2, as proven numerous times at DE, and on the steet against several stock C2. I have also brought the car to a 1/4 drag strip for fun, but my launchs stink (so i wont go into ET's, or more importantly 60 foot times. At one launch, i was in second very hard, and realized i had still yet to trip the light..........Oh how drag strips hate real belted tires) but the true test is top speed, as that is the real test for HP (who care how good you take off is, as the top end won't change much and is really driven by HP) Anyway, i consistantly went through the traps at 98 to 99 mph, where my 88 turbo was at 106-107.

does anyone have this type of real life data to add?

Quick Reply: More HP for Less ?