Notices

Performance Air Cleaner - AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 11:47 PM
BlueMax
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Performance Air Cleaner - AGAIN

I've followed the repeating threads on K&N, drilling air boxes, etc. I've wondered, has anyone fabriacted a method to bring air from outside the engine compartment and pipe it to the standard air cleaner box. It would seem that cooler (denser) air from outside the car rather than the warm air within the engine compartment should produce a perfomance benefit. At speed. depending on how the intake is oriented, it may also produce a slight ram effect.
If anyone has tried this or someone can tell me this is nonsemse before I embark on an experiment, I'd appreciate it.

Paul
Old 02-03-2002, 12:01 AM
Jim Nowak
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paul,

All 928s have air that comes from the front of the car and outside the engine bay. Not quite a "cold air" intake but pretty darn close.

Jim Nowak
Old 02-03-2002, 05:38 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Once you get moving over 20mph, the air temperature in the engine-bay or wherever the stock air-box gets its air is the same as outside ambient temperatures anyway.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:39 AM
BOX 99R
Intermediate

Ihave just posted a note on the same thing I saw a new product from BMC AIR FILTERS and I suggest you look them up on the net it looks promising to say the least
Old 02-07-2002, 03:10 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the primary benefits of these filters are in their reduced intake restriction; allowing you to suck in more air per engine stroke.
Old 02-15-2002, 03:00 PM
JGriff
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by BlueMax:
<strong>I've followed the repeating threads on K&N, drilling air boxes, etc. I've wondered, has anyone fabriacted a method to bring air from outside the engine compartment and pipe it to the standard air cleaner box. It would seem that cooler (denser) air from outside the car rather than the warm air within the engine compartment should produce a perfomance benefit. At speed. depending on how the intake is oriented, it may also produce a slight ram effect.
If anyone has tried this or someone can tell me this is nonsemse before I embark on an experiment, I'd appreciate it.

Paul</strong><hr></blockquote>

Check out what I recently did on my 1990 944S2:

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/4475/Porsche/airboxmod.html" target="_blank">S2 Airbox Mod</a>

I know that it doesn't apply to rear-engined cars, but I thought you might find it interesting nonetheless.

Jim

Quick Reply: Performance Air Cleaner - AGAIN