Notices

What are these?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Reynard38
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are these?

Anyone know what 911 these fit? They are 95mm forged Mahle pistons and Nicosil cylinders. No rings. Wrist pins are not the original parts. I got these from our old race shop before the building was torn down.
Attached Images     
Old 07-07-2006, 11:23 AM
racing97
Banned

This is a set of single plug GTP pistons and cylinders. I say GTP rather then 962 becuase you found them in the Turbo Porsche conversions in Lolas and March's in the early to mid 80's. Al Holberts March would be an example. IMSA or the FIA had a rule for those cars that you could not use twin ignition and with the Hemi chamber typical for the porsche they would just disconnect one set of plugs. Sometimes they would run twin ignition in practice and single in the race for compliance.
This was fine until the boost was run higher (competition getting better) which would blow the spare plug out of the head do to poor flame propagation. Porsche then made the head with one side of the Hemi somewhat filled in and put a deflector on the dome and curred the problem. All parts were for single ignition, later the rule was discarded.

Regards

Last edited by racing97; 07-07-2006 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Reynard38
Pro

This is why I like rennlist! How else could I find info like this. I guess I won't be using these to rebuild an SC motor. What would be the best way for me to find a buyer for them. Seems like they are kind of an odd item, but maybe a vintage racer of one of these older cars would be interested.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

With the right rods, those would be killer in the ('76-'77) 3.0 Turbo motor.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:16 PM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

They dome looks very similar to the max-moritz piston. Is there any relation between the GTP piston and MM?

I'm curious to hear more about the GTP piston though!

Quick Reply: What are these?