Notices

911 complete front rebuild - now how to set torsion bars and ride height set??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 03:49 AM
antar911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 911 complete front rebuild - now how to set torsion bars and ride height set??

Rebuilt the complete front suspension of my 911. everything out then everything back in. so the questions are ... i am about to set the torsion bar caps back on in the cross member. do i 1) let the a-arm hang all the way down and let it be supported by the strut then put the cap on or 2) raise the a-arm up via the hubhub/wheel, up to where the a-arm is level or in line with the cross member then put the cap back on? - i have been told both versions and some others as well.

now putting the cap on and rethreading the adjustment bolt. (don't have a clue where things were set before (ie how many thread turns in or out etc before the rebuild - in my case things where off anyway)

I have been told various methods at this point. on the drivers side set the bolt so the cap stop is at 9:00. on the passengers side set it at 3:00. this is suppose to get you in the ball park. then lower car off of stands and then adjust/bolt to lower (counter clock wise) or rasing (clock wise). any input on this to clarify would be appreciated
best regards
antar911

Last edited by antar911; 02-12-2006 at 04:42 AM. Reason: remove email address - first posting
Old 02-13-2006, 05:27 PM
jesset100
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you post this on the Pelican Parts bbs? You might get a better answer there.
When I did this the car was on jack stands and I put the adjusters on with the adjustment bolt turned all the way out. Put the car on the ground and adjusted the ride hight. I have to say, I didn't have to turn the adjustment bolt much so my way might not be the best way to go. It's not in the middle of it's adjustment.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:33 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's written up in Bruce Andersons book on how to do this.

I just put them on and when I lowered it, I adjusted the screws/car to the proper height.

You also would get a better respose on the 911 area here. https://rennlist.com/forums/forumdis...?s=&forumid=56

Quick Reply: 911 complete front rebuild - now how to set torsion bars and ride height set??