Notices

Cooling mods 987.2 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 12:08 AM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Cooling mods 987.2 Cayman S

I am building my Cayman into a dedicated track car and possibly a race car a bit down the road. Most people tell me to just buy one already built, what fun is that? I bought my car 2 years ago 2009 Cayman S PDK 41K miles for 32K and I've invested about 15K+. I'm like 1/3rd of the way there.

So far I've done suspension, JRZ RS2's, Tarrett adjustable lower control arms front, anti-sway bar front, and rear. Drop links, toe links, and camber plates. Brakes, I've done Serbo slotted rotors with PFC pads. Furter brake upgrades to be considered. As well as a set of Sparco EVO bucket seats with a harness bar and 6 point harnesses. I'm really liking Nitto NT01 tires, I get about 25-30 session before they cord, and they are fast to the end. Also, a Billy Boat exhaust, which sounds very nice and is the only power upgrade so far. More power down the road.

I live and drive in Arizona and I did 30+ track days in 2020 so cooling is a priority.
Cooling so far, L&N Engineering expanded capacity oil pan and BGB PDK Transmission cooler. Next will be CSF radiators, all three, and AC delete, these will be somewhat straight forward, I think. But I have questions about what to do about the radiator openings

In the photo below you can see that the radiator inlets on the right and left are opened up. I am wanting to do this.

L&N Engineering sells BRS oversized composite lightweight radiator ducts that are used in the picture above, I was told about these by someone that works at BGB Motorsports.
Link below
https://lnengineering.com/products/s...tor-ducts.html

So all this to get to my question, has anyone used these, are they a good upgrade? Also, is there a mesh screen I can buy to cover these openings? Or I'm open to suggestions on what to do to protect the radiators from larger debris.

So if you've read all this, thank you. Here's a bonus for you, here's a video of my wife driving the car in a HL Time Trail event which she won her class. HL2 ProAutoSports. I know all about her hand position, she won't listen to me. Skip ahead to the 2:41 mark for the driving.

Last edited by Surfndav; 01-28-2021 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:44 AM
Robert Nixon
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

If you kept the original radiator grilles, The Radiator Grille Store sells a cover that just zip ties to them. Other companies make similar products, and I've read one suggestion to just buy some house gutter screens and cut them to fit.
My guess would be that for track days you can run with no covers on the radiator openings, but like the F1 and NASCAR guys, you'll have to keep checking the duct area to clean out any debris.
Maybe the later model Caymans or 911s that have grill covers would work.

Quick Reply: Cooling mods 987.2 Cayman S