Notices

B&M vs. Porsche Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 06:30 PM
Lomcevak
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&M vs. Porsche Short Shifter

Anyone had a chance to compare the B&M short shifter with the new Porsche unit? I'm getting the Porsche one installed Monday..........
Old 02-22-2004, 09:42 AM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Have not seen a porsche short shift, but th B & M is a great unit.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

The new Porsche short shifter is the same design as the B&M short shifter but it's black rather than blue. And somewhat more expensive. On the positive side, since it's a Porsche sold part, one would expect no grief due to having a short shifter on any transmission warranty claim.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:47 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good point. Most dealers will do anything to wiggle out of warranty issues.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Lomcevak
Instructor

I've had the opportunity to run the car with the Porsche shifter for a couple of days now (rains here have kept the car in the garage for last two days).

The throws are much shorter than stock - Porsche claims 35% shorter on average, but they seem more like half. Very direct, very precise changes. At first the effort seemed a little heavy, but after about an hour it feels just right. In the past I would occasionally get a 2-5 shift while trying to do a quick 2-3 with the stock unit, but this one seems to have cured that. Personally, I think this unit should be standard on the Carrera; for my taste it's a vast improvement over stock. I'm still getting used to coordinating the clutch with the quicker throws.

MSRP is about $485 and it took a couple of hours installation time at the dealer.

Still haven't had a chance to compare a B&M equipped car, but couldn't be happier with the Porsche unit, even considering the price.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:02 PM
95 GPW 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lomcevak - No experience with the Porsche unit, but I installed a B&M in my Boxster (the same one also works for a 996) a couple of weeks ago. The shift feel is nearly the same as what you describe with the Porsche shifter, so I'm guessing you won't notice much difference on a Carrera with a B&M. You're right; either one should be standard equipment.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:38 PM
Mik
Track Day

I've heard that Ruf provides an absolutely fantastic short shifter for the 996. I've repeatedly asked whether the shifter can be used on the 986 S but unfortunately all my sources have said no. Apparently the B&M shifter (and the Porsche alternative) fits both the 986 and the 996 models. It seems quite strange that the Ruf short shifter can not be fitted to the 986. Does any body know why this is so? It kind of goes against logic, if two shifters can be developed for both models and a third only fits one.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:05 AM
Mik
Track Day

Apparently the Short shifter in the 550 edition Boxster is nothing more than marketing bull!

All they did was they shortened the handle (shaft) - not a real short shifter!!!! So the angle remains the same and just the distance gets shorter, and throws get a lot harder!

Take a look at this.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1418

Quick Reply: B&M vs. Porsche Short Shifter