Notices

Deep Oil Sump for Porsche 997.2S

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 10:35 PM
Saruman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Deep Oil Sump for Porsche 997.2S

I have a 997.2 Carrera S, which has the 3.8L 9A1 motor. I track the car. The car recently collected a rock that cracked the oil pan, so I thought this would be an opportune time to upgrade to a deeper oil pan.

I found several options for the M96/M97 motor, all of which seemed reasonably priced (around $675). However, I only found one option for the 9A1 motor, which is very expensive (around $2,500). It is made by Bilt Racing / LN Engineering. It adds 2.5 quarts of oil capacity and includes an oil pickup extension. This is a link to the product: https://lnengineering.com/products/m...1-engines.html.

I have heard that, with its improved oiling system, the 9A1 motor doesn't need a deeper sump (which might explain why nobody but Bilt makes one). I don't want to waste my money on a super-expensive part that I don't need, but if it actually will make a material difference to the long-term health of my engine, I am prepared to pay the (very considerable) upgrade price.

I would really appreciate advice from those in the know and especially anyone who has installed one of these.

Thank you!
Old 05-27-2019, 11:06 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

The 997.2's oil pump is electronically controlled and as hard as you drive the car during HDPE, it is doubtful your car will be depleted of oil even during hard track days. Also, the oil pan has flappers within the pickup partition to keep oil at a constant level. Your 997.2 Carrera S is a sports car, not a dedicated race car.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:20 AM
Saruman
AutoX

Thank you, Henry. It sounds like this is an unnecessary expense. My oil temperatures does sometimes get up to 275 degrees, but I assume that a third radiator would do more to help with this than the deeper oil sump.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:06 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

You can do it all while you are at it by flushing and refilling fresh coolant, cleaning the crud and installing the 3 radiator. I even installed some radiator screen guards as well. All these are accomplished in one weekend by removing the front bumper.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:40 PM
Saruman
AutoX

I flushed the cooland last year and cleaned everything out when the A/C condensers were replaced. I am in the process of making some screens. So the only things I haven't tried are adding a 3rd radiator, swapping for a lower temperature thermostat (about which I have heard conflicting things), and installing a deeper sump (which sounds like it isn't worthwhile after all).

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Deep Oil Sump for Porsche 997.2S