Notices

Ferodo DS 3.12 race pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 06:40 PM
feedftr
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ferodo DS 3.12 race pads

Jeff Ritter at Essex Parts asked me to try their new pad compound from Ferodo, the DS3.12. I have AP Racing calipers and rotors front and back on a 981 Cayman S that I run in the advanced (red) run group with PCA.

Compared to the stock system with PFC or PAGID pads, the AP Racing system required a recalibration of my right foot. The three compounds I’ve tried, 1.11, DSUNO, and now 3.12 all require very little pedal pressure to get to lockup. For street driving I have the DS2500 pads, and these take far more pressure. I wouldn’t recommend the 2500 for track use.

The new pads have great bite, even when cold. I don’t notice much change in friction as they get hot, just like the Ferodo 1.11. The torque curve feels very flat, unlike some pads I’ve used that seemed to bite more as they heat up, requiring me to ease pedal pressure toward the end of the braking zone.

The big difference from the DS1.11 seems to be the wear rate. On my Cayman, after 3 track days with lots of run time, they seem to be holding up well. Compared to other track pads they are showing less wear and taper at this point. Haven’t measured them yet, but I’d estimate they’re still about 15mm thick (18 when new) and only have 1mm taper.

So far, I’m very impressed with these. Hopefully Essex will have them in stock.

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/fca0d66c-cf69-40f1-b807-4e3c4da56267[/img]

Quick Reply: Ferodo DS 3.12 race pads