High Revving NA M44

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 07:44 AM
Lotus111S
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Revving NA M44

Hi,

I'm searching for my next engine and I like some of the numbers I'm seeing for the M44, but I really need it to Rev high to get the power I need. So I have 2 questions:

1. How high can the M44 be revved reliably without major mechanical modifications? Assume it has cams that will deliver to those revs, has the injectors to feed the fuel and the intake to feed the air... How high will it Rev before something breaks and what would that something be?

2. Assume new forged rods and pistons, flowed and port matched head, bespoke exhaust, ITB, coil packs, ARP bolts right though, race cams, lightweight valves and solid lifters.... Will it handle 9,500rpm?? What will break??

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything, so please feel free to educate me and point me in the right direction or post a link.

And just to head off the obvious: I need NA and maximum 2.5. and I'm looking for an alternative to a Millington or a NA YB Cosworth and the bore and Stoke on the M44 makes it something obvious to explore..

And appologies if I have posted this in the wrong place.
Thanks to all who take the time to respond.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:55 AM
Lotus111S
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm buying a 2.5 block with crank and Pistons from the UK and will collect it the next time I'm there which is likely to be end of April or May. I want to take it apart and then start to weigh and measure the moving parts with a view to comparing everything with my two favourite high revving NA engines.. Honda B Series and the Cosworth YB which we are using. from there, I'll have a better understanding of what I need to do to get the M44 to rev reliably and enough air and fuel, oil and coolant flow to enable it.

It looks like I'm going to have to find a reliable way to improve the oil flow and pressure and fit oil squirters under the pistons, while reducing the general moving masses and bringing them in line with the above engines (in percentage terms, not absolutes).

Any experience of oil flow and coolant management of these engines would be very much appreciated along with any knowledge of other weak points.

Quick Reply: High Revving NA M44