Notices

Coilover Choice For 997.2 4-5 HPDEs per Year

Old 01-11-2019, 08:39 PM
mjdcolo
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Coilover Choice For 997.2 4-5 HPDEs per Year

Been looking to change out my stock suspension for coilovers (not a fan of replacing just the springs). My plan is to run about 4-5 HPDEs per year (for this year. It might increase if I can find more time). I’m not too concerned about cost, if they are the right choice. However, $10k for Penske is not a choice I would make. $6k is my limit I guess. I have PASM, but I’m not too concerned about losing it for the proper setup. From what I’ve read PASM doesn’t work quick enough for the track. Here is the list I came up with.

Olins Road & Track
JRZ RS Pro Sport
JRZ RS Pro 3
KW Clubsport 3-way
KW Clubsport 2-way

With only 4-5 track times per year, is 3-way overkill? I’ve got to think long term. Don’t want to buy again.

Thanks for any input.

Matt
Old 01-12-2019, 03:42 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

DSC Sport Tractive DDA RT with their aftermarket PASM controller. A little above your budget, but it retains the variable mode damping for more street comfort while providing the ability to tune the damping reaction.

https://www.dscsport.com/porsche/#997
Old 01-16-2019, 02:24 PM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

The recommendations for suspension choice depends on how much street driving you plan to do. If you are daily driving, I'd go for the Olins Road & Tracks; from what I hear they are excellent dual duty suspension. I got a great deal on some lightly used JRZ RS Pros and am very happy with them, but I do not DD my car (2012 Cayman R). Firmer than stock for sure, but livable enough on the street to get to events and an occasional fun drive.

DJM
Old 01-17-2019, 03:27 AM
Northquest
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the characteristics with a JRZ damper is that you will get an even more comfortable ride on the street, dial it in as the factory suggests, and then an extremely more competent car when/if tracking by just adjusting the few clicks you also will be getting a recommendation on from JRZ.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:18 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdcolo
Been looking to change out my stock suspension for coilovers (not a fan of replacing just the springs). My plan is to run about 4-5 HPDEs per year (for this year. It might increase if I can find more time). I’m not too concerned about cost, if they are the right choice. However, $10k for Penske is not a choice I would make. $6k is my limit I guess. I have PASM, but I’m not too concerned about losing it for the proper setup. From what I’ve read PASM doesn’t work quick enough for the track. Here is the list I came up with.

Olins Road & Track
JRZ RS Pro Sport
JRZ RS Pro 3
KW Clubsport 3-way
KW Clubsport 2-way

With only 4-5 track times per year, is 3-way overkill? I’ve got to think long term. Don’t want to buy again.

Thanks for any input.

Matt
Matt- There is a Rennlist member, Lovetoturn using a 981 CS with PASM shocks, X-73 springs, swaybars and DSC V3 and tracks his car regularly. You can look up his threads on how he did it. The unique part of his story is that DSC can be very street friendly, yet set up to measure shock rod motion in different ways to allow each section of the car to be independent, yet work together. Or--

You can change to Ohlins R&T like I have. Spring rate of 400 lb/in front and 458 lb/1n rear, which is much more than either PASM or X-73 springs. The shocks have a DFV (dual flow valve) meaning they can be activated with either fast response or slow compression/rebound. They are controlled by a single adjuster that is accessed under the uprights of each corner. This is accomplished by turning the front wheels to lock position, reaching around the wheel and turning the adjustment ****. The rear is accessed by laying on your back and reaching inside the rear upright to change the settings. I actually don't mind this as it give me a chance to look over other parts of the suspension in the rear.

The DFV action is very user friendly for street driving, controlling the spring rate and the rebound of your tires/suspension/unsprung mass very well. The daily ride is about as firm as mid PASM range, yet on the track, with the adjustment **** set to 4 front and 6 rear, you are in a competition shock mode. Compression and rebound rates are very quick. The downside is that its a single adjustment, developed at 60% rebound 40% compression. This combo works well for most tracks, especially if you are only tracking a few time a year.

An excellant additional modification that really makes the Ohlin shocks come alive are Tarett's Cup Lower control arms. These allow you additional camber to -2.0 degree (to preserve your outside tire shoulder) as well as pushing out your track 20mm. Both of these mods can be added to your car within your budget.

If you really want to spend the time and money for dual/triple controllers, its a lot more fiddling around to get the right combo to work. This takes mental energy to figure out what is working and why, while taking away from the driving aspect of the sport. Single controller, "much easier to use". That's the key, how often are you willing to rip off the shock covers f&r to change the settings, even when its raining. Most just set it and leave it alone for both daily and track. That's what djm68 did in his R by installing JRZ RS 2 way with a remote canister. He got the shock setting from TPC and has not changed them. His spring rate is 500 lbs/in f and 700 lbs/in r, which are great for the track and just manageable for the street. The JRZ controller is valved for this stiffer spring rate, but not exactly a smooth ride on a bumpy back country road. He seems to have it dialed in for track work as he improved his time around Sears Point by 6 seconds over his R suspension with the same tires and weather conditions as measured by an AIM solo timer.

Maybe the JRZ RS Pro 3 Sport is the way to go long term if you don't mind spending $$$$. It also depends on your level of committment, how many charts do you need to look at to change from a bumpy rainy day track to a smooth surface high speed track that requires a lot of trail braking and throttle steering? Sort of like TPC/ DSC's 4 quarter table of shock programing variables to find the perfect result. So, really its your choice of compromises.

Last edited by Apex1; 04-20-2019 at 02:49 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:36 PM
Northquest
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdcolo

Olins Road & Track
JRZ RS Pro Sport
JRZ RS Pro 3
KW Clubsport 3-way
KW Clubsport 2-way

Thanks for any input.

Matt
Can I ask if you already made a decision? I daily drive and track my Cayman 718 with the JRZ Pro3 and taking delivery of a 992 4S in beginning of June and that is getting the same the first week. No bumpy ride in sight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coilover Choice For 997.2 4-5 HPDEs per Year