Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Performance Modifications Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/performance-modifications-forum-66/)
-   -   PTV & disabling PASM (https://rennlist.com/forums/performance-modifications-forum/1097987-ptv-and-disabling-pasm.html)

Squeaky 09-17-2018 02:41 PM

PTV & disabling PASM

Does anyone know if PTV functionality will be affected if PASM is disabled by installing a non-PASM coilover or PASM "delete mdule" in a PASM 981? I'd like to think they work independently but Porsche seems to have a knack for tying systems together with the toggle buttons, especially since PASM is tied to the PTV as an option.

Would be great to hear from anyone with experience. Thanks!

Scooby921 09-18-2018 11:58 AM

As far as I recall from the vehicle build options PASM and PTV are independent. PTV is tied to PSM (stability control). If you fully disable ESC then you turn off PTV. The PASM suspension shouldn't have any impact as you could also order PTV on an X73 equipped car which has no active control or feedback.

Squeaky 09-21-2018 02:05 PM

Not sure if this was the case before, but if you go build a Porsche on their site, PASM will be added if you add PTV onto a Cayman S.

So I guess what you're saying is if I turn PSM off, PTV deactivates and I'm basically have a mechanical dif?

Scooby921 09-21-2018 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Squeaky (Post 15307497)
Not sure if this was the case before, but if you go build a Porsche on their site, PASM will be added if you add PTV onto a Cayman S.

So I guess what you're saying is if I turn PSM off, PTV deactivates and I'm basically have a mechanical dif?

To the best of my knowledge, yes. It's always a purely mechanical differential. PTV might switch the physical hardware from open diff to limited slip diff, but the actual "vectoring" function is a brake-based component. When the inside wheel loses traction and starts to spin PTV will apply a little brake pressure. This increases the torque at the low friction wheel allowing the torque biasing of the differential to send more to the other wheel. It's effectively an advancement in ESC technology. Fully disabling ESC (PSM) tells the brake controller that you don't want any assistance, thus eliminating PTV as well.

Because PTV is a brake-based feature I don't see how the presence of PASM would impact it. I can see Porsche linking them together from a performance aspect and forcing you to spend more money on a "package", but I can't see any reason why PTV needs PASM dampers or PASM dampers need PTV in order for them both to function normally.

blink21me 10-06-2018 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby921 (Post 15307745)
To the best of my knowledge, yes. It's always a purely mechanical differential. PTV might switch the physical hardware from open diff to limited slip diff, but the actual "vectoring" function is a brake-based component. When the inside wheel loses traction and starts to spin PTV will apply a little brake pressure. This increases the torque at the low friction wheel allowing the torque biasing of the differential to send more to the other wheel. It's effectively an advancement in ESC technology. Fully disabling ESC (PSM) tells the brake controller that you don't want any assistance, thus eliminating PTV as well.

Because PTV is a brake-based feature I don't see how the presence of PASM would impact it. I can see Porsche linking them together from a performance aspect and forcing you to spend more money on a "package", but I can't see any reason why PTV needs PASM dampers or PASM dampers need PTV in order for them both to function normally.

Interesting. If that's exactly how PTV works in relation with PSM being disabled, then I may have wasted time waiting for a 981 CS with PTV to turn up in the classifieds. Plan is to build a moderately modded 981 Cayman S autocross machine and aftermarket coilovers is #1 on the list...

Scooby921 10-08-2018 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by blink21me (Post 15342508)
Interesting. If that's exactly how PTV works in relation with PSM being disabled, then I may have wasted time waiting for a 981 CS with PTV to turn up in the classifieds. Plan is to build a moderately modded 981 Cayman S autocross machine and aftermarket coilovers is #1 on the list...

Well, a PTV equipped car does get a mechanical limited slip differential. Even if disabling PSM does disable PTV you still get an upgraded differential with it. Not a major issue if you're preparing the car for a class that allows a differential upgrade, but possibly worth it in Street/Stock classes.

GTgears 10-09-2018 02:22 PM

The mechanical LSD is a joke. 22/27 locking factor and clutch plates that fall apart after a couple of events. The adhesive holding on the little pucks fails with heat and they just slide around on the plate getting stacked up in piles 2 or 3 clutches thick.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b590fc8fbb.jpg