Notices

Ferrari exhaust manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 03:02 PM
Verboden
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ferrari exhaust manifold question

Saw this exhaust manifold and was wondering if anyone can explain the use of the flex tubing on one of the pipes. This is off of a Ferrari. The flange looks hard mounted as does the end of the pipe, so I am confused about the need for flex. I have seen these flex couplers used in turbo installs which I assumed was for maintenance. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:24 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Speculation:

Tuning of the exhaust gas flow. That one runner is a lot straighter than the others. In theory the gas flows faster through it. The rougher interior of that flex coupling should build a little thicker boundary layer (exhaust gas flowing slower at the outer walls due to friction with the walls). The ever-so-slight reduction in laminar flow may create a tiny increase in back pressure for the cylinder. The tiny venturi effect may also help change the speed and pressure as it blends with other pulses in the collector.

Alternatively, that one runner might see more total heat build-up due to its location in the engine bay. If it gets hotter and expands too much the flex section might be there to allow that runner to change more than the others and avoid cracked welds.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:58 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 546 Likes on 372 Posts

The bellows joint on that one straight runner allow for thermal expansion/contraction. The other 3 runners all have multiple bends. Those bends basically act as springs to absorb the expansion/contraction of the runners; ex. paperclip. On the straight runner, the 'spring' is in the form of that bellows joint

Quick Reply: Ferrari exhaust manifold question