Notices

The current F1 cars are an eyesore !

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 05:53 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts
Default The current F1 cars are an eyesore !

Some people might disagree, but I feel the F1 cars are getting uglier every year. What used to be clean lines appealing the form and function aspect is now looking like what Prius would come up with. Wings are now like venetian blind louvers. Body contortions transforming from dolphin like shape into slithering sea snugs. The drivers in the halo cage looks like enclosed caged zoo animals. What else would they come out next year. ? Which F1 period has the most visually pleasant shape and form ? My vote goes to F1 cars of the Ayrton Senna era. Reviewing some of the old videos, I'm not too sure even the "halo" could have saved him on that incident
Old 07-31-2018, 09:50 AM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
What else would they come out next year. ?
They have and are considering closed cockpits.
I disagree, I think the Halo would have diverted the wheel assembly enough to save his life.
The impact probably would have been severe enough to end his career, but he probably would have survived.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:06 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

I believe with the halo, Senna would be alive today, and not suffering greatly from the impact of that right front wheel/hub onto the car.

And, Jules Bianchi would still be alive today if his car had the halo. Bianchi's accident and Justin Wilson's Indycar accident are what moved the implementation of the halo or similar protective design into high gear. Justin would likely still be alive today as well.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:43 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

You guys/gals convinced me the effectiveness of the Halo. However, there is no denial that although functionally the modern F1 car got it right, but the form is just an eye-sore.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:59 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Some people might disagree, but I feel the F1 cars are getting uglier every year. What used to be clean lines appealing the form and function aspect is now looking like what Prius would come up with. Wings are now like venetian blind louvers. Body contortions transforming from dolphin like shape into slithering sea snugs. The drivers in the halo cage looks like enclosed caged zoo animals. What else would they come out next year. ? Which F1 period has the most visually pleasant shape and form ? My vote goes to F1 cars of the Ayrton Senna era. Reviewing some of the old videos, I'm not too sure even the "halo" could have saved him on that incident
Totally agree that today's cars are hideous and almost unwatchable. For me, the cars of the early 90s were the most beautiful. Simple, shorter wheelbase, clean wings, wide tires, high rear wing, low rise cockpit. Loved the Jordan 191. Even though it was in the "narrow tire" era, I thought the Sauber C12 from 1993 was beautiful.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:33 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Too much safety and no substance. I enjoy watching playstation F1 race more than the real thing.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:07 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

The halo served its purpose this last weekend. Alonso's car would likely have removed the other driver's head if not for the halo. Ugly, but efficient.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:34 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marcu Erickson is glad that his car has one. He flipped 4 times in practice. The car was totally destroyed and even the halo suffered damage, but he walked away unscathed. He would have not fared so well without the halo's protection.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:51 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

To me, form follows function. If the cars are fast then the look good. Today's F1 cars are faster relative to engine displacement than any other time in F1 history.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:53 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by PJorgen
To me, form follows function. If the cars are fast then the look good. Today's F1 cars are faster relative to engine displacement than any other time in F1 history.
+1^
Yes, a new lap record at Monza this weekend, right? There is and likely, "never" will be a substitute for the older, visceral, raw sound of the 100% internal combustion, non-hybrid, non "power unit" cars. Breathtaking to watch and hear live. However, I'll never encourage safety and technological advancement take a back seat. However, I'll also never own an electric car, so take it for what tis worth...
Old 10-14-2018, 01:50 AM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Safer? Yes. Faster? Yes. Good racing? Not really.

I don't need the cars to be any "faster". I need to have good racing week in and week out. While there are indeed times where we've seen a fair amount of passing (Verstappen anyone? Vettel from the back?), generally the passing is few and far between for any places of significance. The cars being so fragile, just about any amount of contact will put one out....IDK. It just seems to come down more to strategy and how well the single pit stop goes rather than actual on track dicing.

Quick Reply: The current F1 cars are an eyesore !