Notices

Hey Guys..

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 01:52 AM
Zlatko
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Guys..

K, after joining another forum...i want to make my car fast...or fastER..

I drive a 1983 NA 944.

On the other forum..the responses were very annoying and idiotic.

"Buy a 951"
"Your 944 is fast enough"
"SBC"
"Learn to drive"

ETC ETC..ill make these points clear now..so i HOPE this doesnt turn into what happened over there..

k.

I bought a 1983 944 NA. It's 3000 dollars per year on insurance..im 20 years old. If i got the turbo model (951) the insurance would be 6000-10000 a year.

I want to do an engine swap. Possibly 951 or 968 even. I need to know how hard this is to do..and if anyone has ever done it..and what their experiences were with this..

I also found a supercharger kit for my car..and need to know if it's worth it..as i dont know what kind of numbers the car would be putting down..

thank you for ANY help.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:42 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hey Guys..

Originally posted by Zlatko
K, after joining another forum...i want to make my car fast...or fastER..

I drive a 1983 NA 944.

On the other forum..the responses were very annoying and idiotic.

"Buy a 951"
"Your 944 is fast enough"
"SBC"
"Learn to drive"

ETC ETC..ill make these points clear now..so i HOPE this doesnt turn into what happened over there..

k.

I bought a 1983 944 NA. It's 3000 dollars per year on insurance..im 20 years old. If i got the turbo model (951) the insurance would be 6000-10000 a year.

I want to do an engine swap. Possibly 951 or 968 even. I need to know how hard this is to do..and if anyone has ever done it..and what their experiences were with this..

I also found a supercharger kit for my car..and need to know if it's worth it..as i dont know what kind of numbers the car would be putting down..

thank you for ANY help.
And you will get the same response here! For the most part.....

If you put a turbo on the car and crash and you call the insurance company to make a claim they are going to look at the car and if they see an after market turbo on it do you think they will pay a claim on a car claimed as an NA?! Doubt it. It is going to cost you 3000 dollars just to do the conversion.

You wish not to pay extra insurance,you will use that money saved to pay for the conversion. No benefit there! So you have a 3K car and a 3K in turbo etc=6000K and you can buy a turbo for very close to that. And not have to lift a wrench!
You are getting the old school responses for a REASON! If we did not care to help you we would not reply with advice! No one is being mean but it is a subject that keeps popping up and there is always the same answers, for a reason!
Some here and elsewhere are the same people with different user names that reply. Many have had cars for years so when a 40 year old with many years experience suggests you buy a turbo and you are only 20 and don't like the answer you get I guess that is par for the course! In other words take advice as these people know there stuff!!! That and they have NO desire to give bad advice. Dal
Old 01-09-2004, 08:23 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

I second Dal's response. If there were an easy answer, everyone would be doing it!
Old 01-09-2004, 10:48 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I have to sympathize with Zlatgo a bit on this one. Please see: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...016#post981016

He just wants some simple advice on upgrades and if anyone has any tips on that they should let him know. He however needs to give a bit more info. on how the car is used (any track?) and more specific budget parameters. Everyone always says to upgrade driving skills and handling first and that is what I would say, but if you want to bolt on, bolt on!
Old 01-09-2004, 11:50 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by forklift
Well I have to sympathize with Zlatgo a bit on this one. Please see: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...016#post981016

He just wants some simple advice on upgrades and if anyone has any tips on that they should let him know. He however needs to give a bit more info. on how the car is used (any track?) and more specific budget parameters. Everyone always says to upgrade driving skills and handling first and that is what I would say, but if you want to bolt on, bolt on!
I understand your compassion here however the members of all the forums have absolutely no problem suggesting "upgrades" and do so every day. That said, the post was on "engine swaps" a entirely different question. To do what was asked of us isn't can I do this to the engine to gain power but to swap a 951 for an 944na and the realistic answer is to buy a Turbo. Yes it can be done and the cost can depend on the mechanical skills of the owner. And it can be a good cost saver to DIY with the know how and the tools, equipment and facilities to do it. I doubt that this young man has the knowledge or he need not of asked!

But in regards to getting beat up and I will speak for myself here but I would imagine that most of the other members get annoyed when there is the same question asked over and over and the archives have page after page on this very subject and all a person needs to do is do a search.

So look from my perspective I am old I have a 944 engine, I have a race shop at my disposal, I have some cash and still only have 147 HP. Why?!

I wish no disrespect to Zlatko I certainly hope that our replies are not taken personally but we are being realistic as best we can. He will need to get less angry when he does not get the answer he wants to hear. Calling the repliers idiots does not help his cause! D
Old 01-09-2004, 12:18 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

I agree, "idiots" is out of line....and I have no idea what the other threads looked like or the advice given. I have had my coffee so I am feeling better myself. People here are here for thier passion for driving these great cars and sometimes that passion can be a detriment.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:15 PM
blabla914
Intermediate

All of you folks have touched on some important points, but I think they should be emphasized a bit more.

Insurance. If you make a major mod, like an engine swap or a supercharger, and you hurt some one in an accident your insurance company is not going to cover you. Perhaps it's different in Canada, but that's how it is in the US. Insurance companies will do whatever they can to limit what they payout. A major modification like that is an easy out for them. That's a mistake you can end up paying for for the rest of your life.

Insurance costs. I've helped a couple of family members and friends insure cars they never thought they could afford. Insurance companies were trying to slap on outrageous premiems because it was "a sports car". I know someone who was quoted $2500/yr to insure an MGB!!! When my brother in law bought a new V-6 Mustang a few years ago, he was also getting quotes north of $2500/yr. I hooked him up with Eastwood, Allstate, Gieco, and people like that and I think he ended up under $1500/yr. He was 23 and unmarried at the time. Not to offend any NA 944 guys, but if I remember correctly we are taking about a 2800lb 150hp car that's worth what $5-6k? Perhaps insurance costs are a lot different in Canada, but $3000/yr for a NA 944 sounds really high.

If I were you I would shop around some more for insurance. Your driving record will have a BIG impact on the rates. If you've shown you can handle what you've got without getting into a lot of trouble you should be able to reduce your rates or afford a faster car for what you are paying.

I would also check out the Grassroots Motorsports website. They have a project 944 that sound like what you are looking for.

Good luck.

Kelly
Old 01-11-2004, 12:28 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check rates on an S2. It's N/A and probably still just listed as a 944. Or go for a 944S or as a last resort, an 89 944 which has a 2.7. An engine swap for a Turbo is going to be an enormous amount of pain, not to mention hard to sell. When you do manage to sell it, you'll lose most of the money you put into the swap.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:16 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey All;

Dal... you are the MAN. I'm right with you here. You've laid it out perfectly!

What we "oldster N/A'ers" get annoyed with is this;

We have been driving these "slow cars" FAST for many years. We get faster all the time as the car and driver improve, and we have more fun than anyone out there doing it. We PASS or seriously HARASS (until the straights!) many of the "Mod of the Month" types every single time we are at the track.

Then we get some young dude like Zlatko who - as respectfully as I can say it - doesn't know scheissen about anything and has owned his car for a few months telling us - in effect - that the cars are not up to HIS standards of power and speed.

How annoying is that?

It strikes us as inane, naive, and stupid-rice-boy-ignorant to not delve into exactly what a car DOES offer before looking to make changes. FACT - an N/A will NOT win any drag races or rip your head off when you stand on it. If you need that, you guessed it... BUY A TURBO! Yes you can do the swaps and mods Zlatko mentioned. They've been done, but at what price?

Zlatko - if you have not abandoned your thread here, please note. NO ONE meant any disrespect to you I'm sure. You DO have to understand that in the context of what some of us know from experience - both in the cars and questions - your querry was tedious to no end.

Please swallow your hair trigger response to this for just long enough to see the wisdom contained within. If you'd like to come to the track, I'd be super happy to show you what your pokey old NA could do, and teach you how to do it. You won't get much kicks from them on the street, but to play David to all the Goliaths at the track is to RULE... DUDE!

Old 01-11-2004, 02:28 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

I have come full circle with this and agree w/ RedlineMan. Porsches are as much or more about handling and not drag racers. If you want to drag race fine, but you will never realize what your P car can really do. The road-race track is home to P cars.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:25 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

You can get in serious trouble with a Porsche very easily. I take the sam route home almost every day. The road has a gradual right hand turn towards the end that I have taken easily at 75-80 mph. This morning early I was on the same road I have taken hundreds of time. It was early and kinda cold and the car was running great. I ran it up to 105 in 3rd gear and in an instant I drifted further into the left shoulder. For a second I thought it was rollover time. Scared me S^%@less. Sometime your confidence can quickly overcome your driving ability, especially with a Porsche. BE CAREFUL!
Larry H
Old 01-20-2004, 10:13 PM
kinda5150
Racer

z--my view is mostly differing than those already posted. many people here have done those engine swaps and some have added the supercharger. there is also a thread going right now regarding the addition of a turbo kit. these are all doable if you have mechanical skills and the money to spend. if not, then there isn't any cheap mods that will yeild any substantial hp gains. you need to provide a little more background info regarding budget and skills.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:22 PM
Pearceman3
Addict
Rennlist Member

drop in a LT-1

Quick Reply: Hey Guys..