911 Brake tech help

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 09:57 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 911 Brake tech help

Hi,

I am trying to increase the rear stopping power of my 76 911 race car. I do not want to go full blown big reds or the like because of weight.

I have modified 944 turbo calipers on the front and they work great. I love them, They have never faded or boiled the fluid. I would love to do the same to the rear, but the best I seem to be able to do is get them to mount with about 1/4" of the pad hanging off the top of the rotor because the rotor is not large enough in diameter.

The question is, is there any other rotor that bolts up to my hub directly that is a little larger. I already have the Carrera rotor on it (which I think is a little larger in diameter) but, is the 964 larger and bolt on, or is there some other rotor that will do the job.

Also, I have seen the page on rennlist that is brake tech and talks about the rotor diameter and width, but only the front. Is there a page that talks about the rear as well.

Thanks

Ed
Old 01-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

The following link has dims, but I'm quite sure the larger rotors don't bolt up.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/MotorCity/wmv/brakes.htm

The simple move in your position would be to go with 3.2 carrera rear brakes, with will pretty much restore the balance you had before you went with the 951 fronts.

Your best "cost effective" bet IMHO would be to go with 993 C2 rears, with are pretty much the same as 951 rears except for larger pistons. You'll need to add a bias valve to run this (ideally adjustable), but then it will be a better balanced and more effective setup than the other options. As you noted, the pads will overhang- they need to be trimmed every so often.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 400 Posts

I responded to your e-mail before I saw this. The short ans is that the small 944/964 caliper w/ modification can easily be used on a 309x28mm 930 rear rotor. To match use the 964 front caliper on a 930 front rotor as described here

That is an old setup done before subsequent more desirable caliper combnations became available. I wouldn't do it that way from scratch today.

Quick Reply: 911 Brake tech help