Track Coilovers - JRZ RS1 or KW Clubsport Coilover Kit - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Track Coilovers - JRZ RS1 or KW Clubsport Coilover Kit

Old 12-13-2017, 10:53 PM
skeeler
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Track Coilovers - JRZ RS1 or KW Clubsport Coilover Kit

Looking at upgrading the last piece of my suspension on my Cayman R. I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a great performing track coilover and all around adjustability. I have been considering either the JRZ RS1 or the KW Clubsport, but I am open to other recommendations. Here are some particulars on my set-up and requirements. Thanks guys!!
Ľ 2012 Cayman R
Ľ Tarett Drop Links - Front/Rear
Ľ Tarett Front/Rear Swaybars
Ľ GT3 Control Arms
Ľ 90% Track Use / 10% Street Use
Old 12-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Viperbob1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check out MCS Suspension. I hate KW. I have done nothing over 20 years but remove it from customer cars.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:07 PM
skeeler
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Viperbob1 View Post
Check out MCS Suspension. I hate KW. I have done nothing over 20 years but remove it from customer cars.
Thanks for the input! I have thought about the MCS, as I have heard great things about these as well. I was hoping to stay below $5k, but we will see. Thanks again!
Old 12-21-2017, 04:58 PM
CosmosMpower
Addict
Rennlist Member

JRZ, no KW
Old 12-22-2017, 11:14 AM
Difool
User

I have the KW Clubsport, which came with the roller for my track car. They aren't bad, they just aren't aimed for the dedicated track market. Of all the KWs they are probably the only ones that are OK for any real track use. Certainly wouldn't bother with V2 or V3.. The springs for the Cayman configuration are 480#/700# f/r and KW advises that you can go up to 100# heavier and still have a matched damper with room to adjust. I did that and again, it's OK, certainly much better than with the default specs. Pro coaches have driven the car, in some cases to help me dial in the suspension rebound, and didn't note any particular problems.

KW is a responsive company so getting the shocks serviced and having support is a plus. If the car is dual purpose this might be an OK route to go (although the new Olin's may be better). If you are focused on track applications then I'd go with JRZs, such as the Spec Cayman parts.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Bill Lehman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Viperbob1 View Post
+2, After several seasons running PSS9 on my Cayman S went with MCS. Sourced the springs from Tarett. Liked the very positive clicks when adjusting the shocks. The only option was the remote canisters which made sense to me and made adjustment was easy from above the car.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:39 PM
skeeler
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys...I think for what I have in mind/budget, I am going to go with the JRZs.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:13 AM
skeeler
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok...now for a follow-up question. What spring rates should go with on the JRZs?
Old 01-06-2018, 01:42 AM
DFWCanuck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Be sure to check out Ohlins as well. I was just told today that their "one way" adjustable really adjust both rebound and compression. Can't select springs though like JRZs. But similar or less $$$ and heard good things otherwise.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:29 PM
Difool
User

Spec Cayman is 800# rear 700# front. You could even go with the JRZ spec package(single adjustable). If you street it at all that’s probably as high as you want to go. Track setups seem to often be in the 1100-1200 range in the back and 800-1000 in the front. Ocationally higher.

As said the new Olin’s will be great, but maybe someone here with more knowledge can speak to whether they are set up for serious track use. My understanding is that they are more a better version of the KW clubsport.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:48 PM
skeeler
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, ended up biting the bullet and going with a JRZ Pro RS set-up. Probably will not get to the suspension set-up till April, but I will keep you all posted. Thanks again for the help!!!!