Notices

Testing Verus Engineering canards at the track

Old 11-10-2017, 07:05 PM
marccongdon
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testing Verus Engineering canards at the track

I recently had the opportunity to test out a new set of carbon canards made by Verus Engineering on my 987.2 at NJMP Thunderbolt.

I spent the morning sessions getting my lap times consistent enough to have a baseline. Then, during lunch break I installed the canards having drilled the holes the night before. These things actually made a huge difference. I was skeptical at first that adding canards wouldn't make much of a difference. Where the front end felt a little unstable and pushed the car is now solidly planted with the canards installed. The higher speed corners where you're typically a little hesitant to push the car to the very edge were completely changed now that I had more confidence in the front grip at those speeds. After testing the waters a little bit, I was able to carry much more speed through turns 3 and 4 and coming on to the straight. Those few mph at the beginning of the straight obviously translated into a significantly quicker lap time. After looking at the lap data from my AIM it confirmed what I felt out on track. The inside line on this picture is with the canards installed and the outside is without them. As you can see by the heat map I'm able to carry a lot more speed through the faster corners and get on the power much earlier coming on to the straight.

I've used Verus Engineering parts in the past on other platforms, and they really do their homework on every product they release. I can say without a doubt their stuff is top notch. Their analysis on a stock car showed that the canards provided 62.5 pounds of downforce with only a 10 pound drag penalty at 100mph. This moved the aero balance point forward by 30 millimeters.

Here's a close up picture of what they look like. The install on these was a breeze, they come with a nice vinyl template that clearly marks where they should be installed and the fit and finish of the carbon pieces is top notch.
I'm currently working with Verus to test fit and track test some of their parts. They want to produce a complete aero package for the Cayman potentially consisting of a splitter, canards, rear wing and diffuser. For now though, the canards should be available for purchase soon.

The car has a Getty Designs duck bill and wing and a Tarret front lip. It was running on 245/275 R888R's with MCS coilovers.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:24 AM
91K-Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,maybe you need to come up the Canada and try out our windtunnel ? 5 years ago we tested , developed in floor scale system. The Cayman has cannards on it now plus other mods, relocated wing.
Attached Images   
Old 11-11-2017, 03:21 PM
91K-Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Latest Mantissport setup. bumper upper openings closed off, air comes out of the hood.
Attached Images   
Old 01-16-2018, 12:40 PM
marccongdon
AutoX

Hey guys, we just confirmed that they also fit perfectly on a 987.1.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:01 PM
marccongdon
AutoX

Bit of a teaser for what's coming out this summer.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:35 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by marccongdon
Bit of a teaser for what's coming out this summer.
WOW! Please make that as part of a balanced 987.2 aero package!
Old 02-06-2018, 10:25 AM
plucas
AutoX

Originally Posted by gman3280
WOW! Please make that as part of a balanced 987.2 aero package!
It will be. It is being developed on Marc's 987.2

Name:  qf6pXPk.png
Views: 26
Size:  1.04 MB
Old 02-09-2018, 11:54 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

marc-great visuals with the heat map!
Old 02-24-2018, 07:29 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by plucas
It will be. It is being developed on Marc's 987.2

What kind of CDF program are you using to compute the pressures? How does it deal with separated flows?
Old 02-25-2018, 09:27 AM
plucas
AutoX

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
What kind of CDF program are you using to compute the pressures? How does it deal with separated flows?
ANSYS Fluent is the software we use which is used by most large companies and many F1 teams including Redbull. Separated flow is dealt with turbulence models in CFD unless DNS is used. DNS isn't used much in automotive cases yet, but it directly solves the Navier-Stokes equations without the need of a specific turbulence model.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:30 PM
gman3280
Pro

Appreciate the work here. I’d hate to give up time for poorly designed aero but you guys aren’t going to let that happen.

How is the rear spoiler going to attach? I’m thinking about a composit hatch.

Also so will a Versus front lip spoiler be part of the package with the dive planes?

Old 02-25-2018, 06:23 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by plucas
ANSYS Fluent is the software we use which is used by most large companies and many F1 teams including Redbull. Separated flow is dealt with turbulence models in CFD unless DNS is used. DNS isn't used much in automotive cases yet, but it directly solves the Navier-Stokes equations without the need of a specific turbulence model.
Very cool stuff - I'm always curious about comparing those results to actual mind tunnel and on road results.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:10 PM
plucas
AutoX

Appreciate the work here. I’d hate to give up time for poorly designed aero but you guys aren’t going to let that happen.

How is the rear spoiler going to attach? I’m thinking about a composit hatch.

Also so will a Versus front lip spoiler be part of the package with the dive planes
It will attach to the ducktail which attaches to the trunk and where the factory wing is located. A front splitter and air dam will also be part of the package. It is designed around a specific downforce and aerodynamic balance. The aero balance can then be adjusted fore and aft using the wings AOA. The picture below shows the components.

Name:  MmBoQgB.png
Views: 26
Size:  940.7 KB

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Very cool stuff - I'm always curious about comparing those results to actual mind tunnel and on road results.
Wind tunnel correlation is a very interesting topic. I have worked on correlating wind tunnel and CFD results using the DrivAer model and Ahmed model with very good results. The issue with correlating something like the Porsche is that finding a wind tunnel that gives the type of results I am looking for is difficult. Since underbody aero is key to parts of the design, the wind tunnel will need to be rolling road as rotation of the tire is crucial for the air on the underside of the car. Most rolling road tunnels are scaled tunnels which also have their limitations like we are now back to using a model instead of the real vehicle. Also depending on the scale, Reynolds scaling still causes issues. I know depending on the scale, turbulence has to be introduced before the car. I am currently working with a Time Attack team who is testing on a scaled rolling road wind tunnel for some correlation which will be interesting. Correlation to road results is a whole new can of worms which is an interesting adventure. The Porsche will be sensored up with some ride height sensors and strain gauges for downforce measurement.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:22 PM
gman3280
Pro

Anything new to report on the development?
Old 04-06-2018, 04:28 PM
plucas
AutoX

Anything new to report on the development?
Everything is being prototyped right now. Molds are just now starting to finish for the rear diffuser and rear wing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Testing Verus Engineering canards at the track