Engine Revs/Rpm Increase when Clutch Disengaged while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 04:01 PM
jrex19
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Revs/Rpm Increase when Clutch Disengaged while driving

Hi All
Anyone had the lovely experience while driving where you disengage the clutch (press the clutch pedal) when shifting up/down and the rpms/revs on the engine increase? This only happens when driving the vehicle as if I depress the clutch when the car is stationary in idle, there is no rpm increase.
I have already cleaned and examined the idle control valve. I have also checked the bowden tube on the clutch cable and it only slightly rubs the throttle linkage on the bellhousing. I dont think it is enough to create an issue.
Could it be a vacuum leak?
Faulty deceleration valve?
Possibly the throttle and clutch cable are twisted in the tunnel?
I am running a 993 Varioram with a 915 Euro transmission in a 1970 chassis. Lightened flywheel and clutch. Do you think I need to tune the ECU for this?
Any thoughts, feed back, or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am stumped.
Thanks
J
Old 08-20-2017, 09:00 PM
MHarris
Rennlist Member

The accelerator bell-crank position and or bushing behind the pedal and or the guide bushings for the accelerator rod in the shift tunnel is the culprit.

1) The pedals (break clutch and accelerator bell crank share a common assembly. If the bell-crank has as little as 1/4" side play can cause this situation and is most likely the shaft bushing.

2) The accelerator and clutch rods are very close in the tunnel and if the bushings that hold & guide the rod are worn or denigrated (common) this acceleration on clutch will occur.

I have done both of these on my 86 turbo that suffered the same symptoms + a grainy throttle pedal in spots.

MDH
Old 08-22-2017, 12:37 PM
jrex19
Track Day

Thanks MDH. I was actually able to resolve the issues. There were two isssues: 1. close to pedal box there was rubbing of the throttle and clutch cables, 2. the Bowden tube resting on the throttle linkage at the bell housing. Once I was able to isolate the issues. Car drives great and no over-reving during shifts.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:54 AM
vroomevo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrex19
Thanks MDH. I was actually able to resolve the issues. There were two isssues: 1. close to pedal box there was rubbing of the throttle and clutch cables, 2. the Bowden tube resting on the throttle linkage at the bell housing. Once I was able to isolate the issues. Car drives great and no over-reving during shifts.
hello. Where is pedal box located? Thanks

Quick Reply: Engine Revs/Rpm Increase when Clutch Disengaged while driving