Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Parts Marketplace - Old (https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-marketplace-old-217/)
-   -   WTS Arai GP-5S Racing Helmet $$$ (https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-marketplace-old/1128057-wts-arai-gp-5s-racing-helmet.html)

gt2-josh 02-07-2019 02:10 PM

WTS Arai GP-5S Racing Helmet $$$

I bought this helmet many years ago unknowingly just as my track day events came to an abrupt halt. I may have worn it once but I'm not certain I wore it other than to try it on. Obviously I since I bought it many years ago this isn't for racers. However it would be great for track days, autocross or for your passenger at any event. At the time it was Arai's most expensive closed cockpit helmet. And it had to be purchased in Japan. I used a proxy to purchase it. I paid well over $1K many years ago. I have no idea how much more it would cost today. It's a medium but could work as a small as well. I have the helmet bag and all the materials. It has only the slightest flaws virtually invisible. I used it on my bookshelf as an ornament. I want $375 plus shipping and PP fees. Thanks again, Josh PS as always if you need additional pics please let me know.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...718aba0063.jpg
​​​​​​​

gt2-josh 02-07-2019 02:15 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...94e457d3b5.jpg
​​​​​​​

Harry Da Hamster 02-07-2019 04:45 PM

Shucks. If this helmet was a little bigger, or my knocker was a little smaller, i would've bought it!

jamesinger 02-07-2019 05:49 PM

I have this helmet. I think it is the best I have ever owned. Definitely a great HPDE helmet with easy attachments to Hans devices.

gt2-josh 02-07-2019 06:02 PM

Thanks for the kind comments! It's easily the best helmet I've handled. It's never been worn, it's close to flawless and I'll miss it. IMO it's the perfect helmet. Thanks again. Best Josh

JTT 02-08-2019 06:38 AM

When you say "purchased many years ago", what is the Snell rating? 2010?

gt2-josh 02-08-2019 10:16 AM

That's an excellent question. However I don't know the answer. The literature is all Japanese and the Snell date is not on the helmet. I believe I purchased the helmet new in 2006. Your guess is probably rather close. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer. JBO

jdexter 02-08-2019 01:03 PM

I don't think it can be snell 2010 if it is from 2006. I doubt it would be certified to be used for most clubs. Maybe autocross?

gt2-josh 02-08-2019 02:37 PM

Thanks for clarifying but I thought that was implied in my description. I probably should have said "private" track events. Many many years ago when I was young 10-12 of us would rent Thunderhill on a Thursday. The rules set by the track officials were helmets and seatbelt. One fellow even used a motorcycle helmet. I tried to be as honest and clear as possible. If that wasn't the case I apologize. I know items age out and I respect Snell but this is a new helmet that would be great for an instructor giving passengers lessons, private track events, taking the spouse out for a couple laps etc. Best Josh

jamesinger 02-08-2019 04:00 PM

OP, The sticker is probably still there under the padding if you pull it aside near the front of the crown of the helmet. Mine is from 2008 or so but I am sure they are similar in this regard.

Here in So. Cal, it is rare that NASA or the other less safe clubs check that closely TBH. I have been off the track for the last 3 years due to an accident (coming home for work) but I have only had track officials make sure I have a helmet with NASA, Extreme Speed, RTA, GTA, and Raceline to name a few... This all could change person to person or club to club. Does anyone know if POC checks the year? I'd also just email the club you'll run with and ask. NASA has always been helpful with their responses with me. I consider NASA to be the safest and most thorough of the clubs I have done events with.

gt2-josh 02-08-2019 04:17 PM

Thanks! I really appreciate it. Yep its new and near flawless but it's also old as the hills. The sticker is indeed where you said it would be located. SA 2000. Wow! I am old as $&@@! Anyway PRICE DROP TO $300. Best JBO

jamesinger 02-09-2019 06:42 PM

...Last, SNELL Ratings are not updated every year from my understanding. Maybe someone can chime in but it seems to be only every 5 years for auto racing. So for racing, a 2000 helmet could be raced in most series until 2006 but some racing governing bodies will OK it up to 2016 for racing (i.e. NHRA). This is also the case with harnesses (2 year cycles) and etc. for safety equipment. Personally, I follow these standards in line with the risk I am taking, and HPDE stuff is relatively low risk while riding a motorcycle in Los Angeles on the street would be high on the list. Nevertheless, I use this helmet for HPDE and I love it.

I am still curious if anyone knows if POC checks this at each HPDE for NON RACE drivers??

gt2-josh 02-09-2019 08:14 PM

Excellent comments all from Mr. Singer. I tried albeit less eloquently to express that we all make our own decisions regarding risk reward as long as we play by the rules...or don't. For example I mentioned that I only did private track days. Lucky for me a buddy of a buddy knew some super rich dudes. However before I bought my GP-5S I wore an old motorcycle helmet. Foolish probably but I was younger and mortality meant nothing to me at the time. With that said FINAL PRICE DROP to $275. Otherwise I will keep it as wall art next to my CHP 11-99 Lifetime Member Plaque. It was similar to the price of the helmet but with a couple more zeros at the end. And genuinely thanks to Mr. Singer for the thoughtful comments. It is an awesome helmet. Best Josh

drcollie 02-10-2019 01:26 AM

A Snell 2000 helmet - or a lid made in 2005/06 is useless. It's too old and should be retired and put on a shelf. Production date is on the helmet somewhere, sometimes on Arai's and Shoei's its stamped on the D-ring. Please do everyone a favor and don't sell this helmet - its way past its expiration date to actually use.

HDA 02-10-2019 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by drcollie (Post 15628231)
A Snell 2000 helmet - or a lid made in 2005/06 is useless. It's too old and should be retired and put on a shelf. Production date is on the helmet somewhere, sometimes on Arai's and Shoei's its stamped on the D-ring. Please do everyone a favor and don't sell this helmet - its way past its expiration date to actually use.

this.
on average an helmet lasts 5-7 years, whether used or on a shelf