Notices
Parts Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell new & used Porsche parts.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

986 Boxster Metropol Blue Top w/ Hand-Sewn Vinyl Window

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 12:07 AM
sequel95
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 986 Boxster Metropol Blue Top w/ Hand-Sewn Vinyl Window

Category: Accessories
Price (no $ sign please): $300
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Part fits (select ONLY those which apply): 986
Location (Region): Midwestern
Item Condition: Used

Old 08-13-2018, 12:19 AM
sequel95
Instructor

Please read this description. This blue top is from a 2001 Boxster S. It is Metropol Blue. I removed the original vinyl window and hand-sewed in a vinyl window from a sailing materials shop (Sailrite). My stitching is not as good as the original Porsche machines, but it looks decent. The vinyl window has no UV protection, or very little. The vinyl window is slightly wavy and requires a hand chop to crease the center when dropping the top. It will cost me about $175 to ship this top via FedEx to the Midwest down to Texas or GA or AL or thereabouts. I will pack it up with hard foam, and use towels or shipping blankets to protect the vinyl window. I will cover in cardboard and use lots of tape to protect the frame and top. This is not a solution for you if you want a new top. If you have a damaged blue top or your vinyl is cracked, this top could help delay the replacement for a few years, maybe. If someone in the Midwest (Milwaukee, Chicago, Madison, Green Bay) region want to meet me in person, I can sell the top for $100. I can't guarantee this top won't start leaking in the future. I am not a professional upholster! But, I have washed the car and there is no leaking from the stitching area.

I bought a 986 top from a junked car (Fond du Lac, WI) and it has a glass window. It was from a 2003 or 2004. Such an easy solution, but finding a blue top with a glass window that has not been sitting out in the hot humid sun is not easy.

Selling price is $300 shipped to the Midwest all the way to Alabama or Georgia. I don't know how much it would cost to ship to CA or NY, but shoot me a zip and I will give you an idea. I just want to prevent this top from going to a dumpster! Thanks for looking. This top includes the headliner and both arms to attach to top and motor arms. I only have one tension cable, so hopefully you have one from your existing top.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:36 AM
sequel95
Instructor

Here is my thread on the DIY project to sew-in the new vinyl window. Definitely not a project I would recommend to anyone!

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...nt-sew-in.html
Old 08-26-2018, 12:12 PM
sequel95
Instructor

Folks, I have to get rid of this top. How about $149 shipped to you in continental US? I'm moving!
Old 08-29-2018, 03:12 PM
sequel95
Instructor

Getting closer to my close date. How about actual shipping not to exceed $85 and no charge for the Porsche branded OEM top? There have to be many parts on this top worth $85. Of course this includes the frame with the canvas top installed from the factory. Continental US only.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:09 PM
arethusa71
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

PM sent.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:40 PM
sequel95
Instructor

Sold. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 986 Boxster Metropol Blue Top w/ Hand-Sewn Vinyl Window