Notices
Parts Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell new & used Porsche parts.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

WTB used cayman 987 taller wing upright & wing

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:55 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default WTB used cayman 987 taller wing upright & wing

Category: Accessories
Price (no $ sign please): $1
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Part fits (select ONLY those which apply): 987, Cayman, Race Car
Location (Region): Texas
Item Condition: Used

I have a 2006 Cayman S race car. I would like to try a wider wing with taller uprights for added rear downforce. My current wing uprights are only 10" from wing pivot attachment to closest support hole on deck lid - see photo below. My wing attaches to deck lid with 4 screws each side.

Also, am interested in used wider wing. My wing is currently 50" wide, would like to try 55"-60" wide.

Please let me know if anyone has used set of taller uprights or wider wing to sell.
Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2017, 11:00 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

getty has several heights, BGB now makes their own which is on my GTB1 car, and I think Deman has a set and I believe there are some more out there.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:17 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Understand, but was hoping to locate used set
Old 07-25-2017, 11:42 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

ah sorry, been on the road for 6 hours so my brain is a little wonky!
Old 07-26-2017, 05:13 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

I think you would be disappointed if you knew how little effect a 5" wider wing would make in terms of downforce - my rear 55" wing produces max 250 lbs of downforce at 130 mph.

Also, keep in mind that your wing base and wing are meant to work together to accelerate the flow under your wing for maximum effectiveness. By raising your wing, you are decoupling that effect. The key aerodynamic challenge on these cars is to reduce front lift at high speed - but by raising the rear wing, you are making that worse. I have found that the best reason to raise the rear wing is better rear visibility.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Would you not gain more down force with a higher wing as it would be in cleaner air and therefore be more efficient . My experience with wings is limited, but I run my wing at roof top level and set at only 2 degrees. Find that this is best for minimum drag and sufficient down force. While still in test mode, working to log top speeds at different angles / drag effect.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

To maximize downforce, what you are trying to achieve is the lowest pressure on the underside of your wing. The ducktail wing base is meant to work together with the underside of the wing by acellerating the flow under the wing. Higher velocity means lower pressure, which means more downforce. There is really no benefit of raising the wing into "clean air" because the air, a foot or so above the deck lid of a Porsche Cayman is not disturbed by anything but a possible roof antenna. Without a good downforce measurement, you are only guessing in terms of your wings effectiveness of creating downforce. Measuring drag is relatively easier because you can look at top speed.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default I have the wing you may be...

looking for. It is from Mirage International in San Diego, CA
60" wing with end caps and a Gurney lip. I bought in last February, and have since taken it off the car, a 1997 Carrera as the car is being sold.

This is the first time I really looked at the pics. The mottled finish is some light reflection, or? The finish on this wing is awesome. I'll take more pics for any interested party.

It was semifinished when I got it and my tech drilled the proper holes for 0, 3, 6 and 9 degrees of down force. He also added the Gurney Lip, and we had the end caps powder coated red, and the uprights anodized to address any potential corrosion.

I want $1,200 for the wing + shipping.
Attached Images     
Old 08-08-2017, 01:56 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile Downforce?

We read, "....my rear 55" wing produces max 250 lbs of downforce at 130 mph." I am just curious as to how these numbers were obtained? In a wind tunnel with scales?

In contrast, yhe Porsche 993 RS Club Sport, according to the Factory 993 RS & RS CS Bulletin, produces a mere 160 Lbs of downforce, with 9 degrees of down angle on the wing, at 160 mph.

To produce 250 Lbs of downforce at 130 mph, that must be a monster wing, with only 55" lateral measurement, the chord must be monstrous.

Quick Reply: WTB used cayman 987 taller wing upright & wing