Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera recall, AH08

Old 02-12-2018, 06:59 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

@Big_Tex: Let me know how long it takes to perform the recall please. Thank you.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:23 PM
DGPanny
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB12
@DGPanny: "Discounted rental"?? That is absurd. This is smelling more and more like class action as I keep hearing these stories. I have several other cars but that is besides the point. Someone can get killed, heavens forbid, with an engine failure like this. Doing 75 miles an hour on a highway and the car goes dead. Really? Glad nothing has happened to anyone here but there is no recall that can tame the possibility. This is just nuts!.
And that is why I have stated in a couple of these threads that you shouldn't be driving these cars. I was doing 80 and was lucky I was an area with little traffic. If this had happened during my normal commute when I lived in Chicago, I likely would have wrecked.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:28 AM
gt3_4_me
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You lose the engine, it's not good. If you have another car I would drive it instead. The collateral damage from the bolt is often catastrophic and it's even more of an inconvenience to replace the entire engine.

Has anyone received reimbursement yet out-of-pocket costs on AH08? Just submitted mine.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:17 PM
Big_Tex
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Recall done by Ed Carroll Porsche in Ft Collins, CO. Took just over a day, said they had done a couple of them so far. I had them swap out the serpentine belt just because.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:27 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Thanks that is reasonable if a day or two only.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:29 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDS928S
Porsche NA does not really want to perform this recall. They hope the older Panno cars will fade away.
To prove my point i have been in contact with my local dealer ( Paul Miller Porsche/NJ) The parts/service departments are still unsure of exactly what they are supposed to do. They still don't know what parts are to be replaced & when those parts will arrive ? WTF? The recall notice went out in July 2017 to all customers.
My 4S went in for replacement yesterday( at Catena Porsche, Edison) and will be done tomorrow. No issues with this time scale since it's winter and I seldom use it unless warm days because of summer performance tires.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:45 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts

Paul Miller completed the recall today on my car. 5 hrs of labor. Its all done. Picking it up tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:57 PM
gt3_4_me
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pmichaelis
My 4S went in for replacement yesterday( at Catena Porsche, Edison) and will be done tomorrow. No issues with this time scale since it's winter and I seldom use it unless warm days because of summer performance tires.
Yeah, replacing the camshaft controller and re-timing is definitely a lot faster than replacing an entire engine.

I am shocked at how long it's taken for Porsche to execute this in NA and get notices to people. My engine failed almost 3 years ago due to this and they had already recalled it in China at that point. I filed a complaint with NHTSA also, maybe all of people who did that helped get it recalled in the US.

Make no mistake, Porsche engineers knew about this very soon after the cars were released. They made a calculated decision not to recall them and then something forced their hand (was there a class action?).
Old 02-27-2018, 05:13 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

@GT3_4_me, where are you located.

My 970 Turbo was picked up today and taken to Porsche West Broward for performing the recall and they sent a nice 2018 Macan S as a loaner. Will update this post as the service is completed. Good luck to everyone.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:08 AM
freeflap
Intermediate

Hello all,
I just purchased a used 2011 panamera turbo. So far it is a hoot to drive, but I have an appointment with Porsche Bethesda MD to get the AH08 fixed. Don't want the engine to die on me! Also have to deal with a dead car horn. Seems that's common too. I'll follow up with the forum after Bethesda gets the car back to me. thx
Ben
Old 02-28-2018, 01:23 PM
DGPanny
Intermediate

Just as a follow-up, got mine back last week with a brand new engine. Going through the break-in now so no real hard driving for at least 1,500. No issues, engine running very nicely. Folks at Porsche of Destin did a great job on a very large, challenging project.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:34 PM
freeflap
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DGPanny
Just as a follow-up, got mine back last week with a brand new engine. Going through the break-in now so no real hard driving for at least 1,500. No issues, engine running very nicely. Folks at Porsche of Destin did a great job on a very large, challenging project.
just read through your earlier posts. Hope it will be good from now on
Old 02-28-2018, 01:58 PM
freeflap
Intermediate

did porsche pay for the entire engine / labor? what year is your panamera?
Old 02-28-2018, 02:50 PM
DGPanny
Intermediate

Originally Posted by freeflap
did porsche pay for the entire engine / labor? what year is your panamera?
Yes, 100% labor and materials, even other items that were damaged as a result like a plug on my alternator.. Only thing I paid for was a new serpentine belt and all new coils. That was my choice and they didn't charge me any labor. It was a brand new long block from Germany and new heads. That is why it took a month.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:59 PM
freeflap
Intermediate

Yes, 100% labor and materials, even other items that were damaged as a result like a plug on my alternator.. Only thing I paid for was a new serpentine belt and all new coils. That was my choice and they didn't charge me any labor. It was a brand new long block from Germany and new heads. That is why it took a month.
assuming nothing else is wrong, how long does this repair take?? I'm hoping 1 day but not sure if that is realistic.

thx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Panamera recall, AH08