Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 04:53 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Have to say this banter over 8 miles is ridiculous. In a few years this battery mileage and several hundred pounds of battery will be obsolete. Don’t you all realize this fact?
Yes, but I expect 2018 tech for my 2018 dollars, dammit! lol
Old 01-20-2019, 04:56 PM
pietpara
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rupdog

OK - following our discussion I bit the bullet and ordered 21” RS Spyder rims in black gloss with Pirelli Sottozero 2’s - really full the arches and I feel like I’ve bought a new car - I think they really suit Carrara White with the blacked windows roof and spoilers (I’m not even sure if I can change back to Turbo wheels now!) - what do you think - is this the ultimate scheme for the Panam Tourismo?
Looks great!
I did exactly the same for my chalk&black pan! Can't wait till they arrive.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Taxdr1965
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

acid green v black gloss

Winter tyres look bigger in arches - now looks like a proper (near) supercar
OK - following our discussion I bit the bullet and ordered 21” RS Spyder rims in black gloss with Pirelli Sottozero 2’s - really full the arches and I feel like I’ve bought a new car - I think they really suit Carrara White with the blacked windows roof and spoilers (I’m not even sure if I can change back to Turbo wheels now!) - what do you think - is this the ultimate scheme for the Panam Tourismo?
I have the same wheels on my panny. I think they are the nicest. The car I got had a few less options but those wheels so I took it. My car is chalk though
Old 01-21-2019, 04:51 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

acid green v black gloss

Winter tyres look bigger in arches - now looks like a proper (near) supercar
yes it is the ultimate scheme but then again i am biased: I have the same setup as you - CW ST with the 21 glossy wheels :-)

and i do agree with you - the winter tires offer more volume than the skinnier summer tires.

you have the summer alloys for your winter setup so don't go out and buy the original Porsche chains - they will not fit as they are made for the winter alloys that are 1" slimmer (10,5 vs 11,5) than the summer alloys. Just as FYI.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:26 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I would have bought Snow Socks, which I used with success, some years ago on a 996TTS with 18" wheels but sadly Socks are not available for 315/30 x 21". I am never 100% sure that metal chains on low profile tyres are a good idea, unless you never, ever run them on tarmac, even for a short distance. However, if you go skiing, in many European areas, it is of course, compulsory to carry them.

Wilson
Old 01-21-2019, 06:33 AM
rsyed
Racer

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
I would have bought Snow Socks, which I used with success, some years ago on a 996TTS with 18" wheels but sadly Socks are not available for 315/30 x 21". I am never 100% sure that metal chains on low profile tyres are a good idea, unless you never, ever run them on tarmac, even for a short distance. However, if you go skiing, in many European areas, it is of course, compulsory to carry them.

Wilson
whether they are good or not, is another debate. I just wanted to save him the trouble of buying a set and realizing the set won't work on his wheels.

I am from Austria and we had quite a bit of snow recently, happened to be the week when I was on skiing vacation. Lots of towns were not accessible but when you were allowed to leave or enter (couple of hours a day), the requirement was either 4 wheel drive or chains. I am not sure whether there is any added value of having both (like would be the case with our cars)...
Old 01-21-2019, 12:27 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Another Option would be Spikes-Spider, had a set on my 944, easy on and off
Old 01-21-2019, 04:44 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lbcgolf
Yes, but I expect 2018 tech for my 2018 dollars, dammit! lol
Hahaha.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:49 PM
lverheul
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajriches01
On another topic - I have so many little gremlins now it is hard to love the car.
+1 on that unfortunately. I have had the car for a year now, of which it has spent >6 weeks at the dealer. Mainly electrical gremlins (battery not charging, seat memory not working, steering wheel controls buggy, etc.etc.). By replacing many components/controllers/computers they seem to have solved most issues, but I would not call myself a Porsche ambassador for the moment

Not what I was expecting from the car or the dealer. One which they have not been able to fix over the past six garage visits is the steering wheel controls. Apparently a software bug; the service rep said they had a few pannies with the same problems (not to mention the problems he mentioned with the new Cayenne...)

Probably pushed out to the market before ironing out all the bugs...
Old 01-22-2019, 12:53 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Have to say this banter over 8 miles is ridiculous. In a few years this battery mileage and several hundred pounds of battery will be obsolete. Don’t you all realize this fact?

I am not sure that your "few years" is going to be "few enough" for many of us. Battery technology doesn't seem to be improving quickly enough.
Even in cold weather, I'm able to go about 1000 miles on a tank of gas. Most of my driving to my office, on errands, and going out with the wife is done on all-electric mode.
Do I wish that I had an 18-kWh or 20-kWh battery pack instead the 14-kWh pack we're stuck with? Sure! But this is still a fabulous car, and I'm not ready for the limitations that all-electric cars have.
I would not mind keeping my E-Hybrid for a decade if it had a full warranty that long; it's really a delight to drive, and far better than any ICE-only Panamera that I've driven (and I've driven them all from Pan4 to Turbos).

Further to my comments a week or so ago (above) about cold-weather driving and its effects on my battery pack, I've now driven some distance in 5-deg (F) outside air temps, and the same patterns hold at 5 deg as they did at 19-20 degrees; in other words, I am able to drive quite some distance in all-electric mode once the ICE has warmed over 150-160 deg F, again suggesting strongly that there is heating of the battery pack. I did notice a quicker drop in engine coolant temperature in 5-deg temps, not surprisingly (but not enough to affect my typical daily driving in all-electric mode within the 20-or-so miles that I typically drive in a day).
Old 01-22-2019, 06:00 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

For anyone from the UK who is taking their Panamera for a skiing holiday to an area where carrying chains is compulsory (much of Alpine France and Italy), Roofbox.co.uk have an introductory offer on Spikes Spider chains at around 20% off. My skiing days are sadly behind me due to spinal arthritis and multiple joint replacements. I am not sure what the current rules are if your vehicle is like the Panamera, 4WD and you had snow tyres fitted, about still having to carry chains. Some years ago we stayed with friends for skiing near Avoriaz, where I only just managed to get to their house in my 2WD Alpina B10V8S on non-winter tyres, as this was before 19" low profile winter tyres were available in the UK. We then were driven around in a small 4WD Skoda on snow tyres. I was amazed how well it coped with quite deep snow and steep hills, without having to resort to chains.

Wilson
Old 01-22-2019, 06:06 AM
rsyed
Racer

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
am not sure what the current rules are if your vehicle is like the Panamera, 4WD and you had snow tyres fitted, about still having to carry chains.

Wilson
2 weeks ago when we had heavy snowfalls and high risk of avalanche, resulting in many ski-resorts not being accessible, but when they did introduce windows for convoys to leave or enter the town, the rule was either 4WD or chains.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:57 PM
lverheul
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default First snow of the season

first snow of the season here in Rotterdam. No hassle for the winter tyres. Electric range has been about 28-30 kilometres, despite sub-zero temps. Not complaining about the range.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:08 PM
Taxdr1965
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It was like 10 degrees out and the engine turns right on and runs. No emode until the car warms up. Seems like when it’s real cold the ice fire right up as soon as you turn it on. Anyone else experience this?
Old 01-23-2019, 12:32 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxdr1965
It was like 10 degrees out and the engine turns right on and runs. No emode until the car warms up. Seems like when it’s real cold the ice fire right up as soon as you turn it on. Anyone else experience this?
see messages 1722, 1723, and 1735 in this thread (above)

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread