Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 05:35 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matril01
I’ve got a question for the collective wisdom of the group. I’m getting into the weeds a little bit here but I would thought I would ask anyways. I’ve been chasing down a rattle in my new car. It seems to be coming from the front passenger side/glove compartment area. As I was taking a closer look this morning inside the glove box I noticed a couple things and I’m wondering what they are. The first item is a round **** inside the glove box. You are able to rotate the **** clockwise and counterclockwise and when you turn it, air flows...so it seems to be some sort of a vent like thing...I have no idea why there would be a vent inside the glovebox. The other item inside the glove box is a little bracket on the glove box door. it appears to be something to hold a pen or maybe a tire pressure gauge. The Porsche manual is silent on both these items... thus my questions. Thx in advance.
May or may not be similar as mine was more of a creak than a rattle, but if you open the passenger door wide and push on the side of the glove box together with the area above and below, there are snap-in joints there. I had some work done and they snapped these back in properly. Drove me mad for weeks as they couldn't find it, then a few sharp pushes around the edges and all was well with the world again.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:41 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve got a question for the group about what sort of mileage they’re getting on battery only. I drove from my house to the airport today on battery only. On a. lmost exclusively highway, the distance was 13 miles with no traffic, speed was around 60mph. The air temperature here in Chicago was approximately 25°F. When I left the house, I had a full charge. I can’t say it was at 100% because my indicator never seems to reach maximum full but it was pretty close. When I arrived at the airport 13 miles later my battery was totally discharged. I’m pretty disappointed about this. I’m hopeful that the cold air temperature is playing a big role, but this is obviously no where near the advertised 30 miles per charge. My car is 1 month old with 600 miles on it. Maybe I’ve got a bad battery? Not sure.
Unfortunately the batteries are not heated - the cold kills them stone dead - I had the same issue last year and kept asking the dealer. Then the summer came and we were back to 25 ish miles.

On another topic - I have so many little gremlins now it is hard to love the car.
  • Nav still goes for walks occasionally
  • Pre-heat works but heating otherwise does not! Makes the car useless and best Porsche can do is say sorry and offer a slot in 6 weeks. BMW has offered to lend a car when needed, Porsche has offered nothing. Very disappointing. Hmm, I wonder if you can pre-heat while driving?! Could be a temp solution.
  • Pre-heat timing doesn't work (screen even says next departure X but then doesn't heat unless you manually activate).
  • Charging timer randomly on now, so you have to press the timer button for it to start charging
Old 01-17-2019, 10:27 AM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve got a question for the group about what sort of mileage they’re getting on battery only. I drove from my house to the airport today on battery only. On a. lmost exclusively highway, the distance was 13 miles with no traffic, speed was around 60mph. The air temperature here in Chicago was approximately 25°F. When I left the house, I had a full charge. I can’t say it was at 100% because my indicator never seems to reach maximum full but it was pretty close. When I arrived at the airport 13 miles later my battery was totally discharged. I’m pretty disappointed about this. I’m hopeful that the cold air temperature is playing a big role, but this is obviously no where near the advertised 30 miles per charge. My car is 1 month old with 600 miles on it. Maybe I’ve got a bad battery? Not sure.
Matril01, I would not be too discouraged, yet at least, about your battery-only range. Cold temperatures make a big difference, particularly if your car and battery were cold-soaked when your trip began. It takes a lot of energy to warm the cabin and battery when they are cold-soaked. It helps to park in a warm garage, and it helps to pre-heat the cabin. We live in Atlanta and park in a warmish garage, and we typically get 25 or so miles. But we do notice a significant difference when the car is left out on a cold night. Getting only 13 miles does indeed seem poor, but I wouldn't despair just yet.

For what it's worth, we have both a 2018 Panny 4 E-Hybrid and a 2014 Tesla Model S, and I read user forums for both cars. Angst about disappointing range is common across the board, and I have particularly noticed it among new drivers whose early experiences are in cold temperatures. You will probably see more normal performance in warmer weather--maybe not often 30 miles but at least mid-twenties. Please keep us posted.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:42 AM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Matril01 " I can’t say it was at 100% because my indicator never seems to reach maximum full "

- this is concerning, Are you charging in a regular household outlet, or do you have 220v fast charging? I have similar temeratures here in Toronto and have gone just over 30km (18+mi) on battery alone.
-- Mike
Old 01-17-2019, 07:02 PM
Matril01
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MKC91
Matril01 " I can’t say it was at 100% because my indicator never seems to reach maximum full "

- this is concerning, Are you charging in a regular household outlet, or do you have 220v fast charging? I have similar temeratures here in Toronto and have gone just over 30km (18+mi) on battery alone.
-- Mike
Mike - I charge it using regular 110v household. But to Louver’s point, the car sits outside in an unheated garage, so the battery and car is cold through and through. Hopefully when it warms up this spring I’ll see better mileage. Thx all for the feedback!!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:08 PM
Matril01
Track Day

Originally Posted by ajriches01
May or may not be similar as mine was more of a creak than a rattle, but if you open the passenger door wide and push on the side of the glove box together with the area above and below, there are snap-in joints there. I had some work done and they snapped these back in properly. Drove me mad for weeks as they couldn't find it, then a few sharp pushes around the edges and all was well with the world again.
Ajriches01...I had my dealer try your suggestion...no luck for me yet, but they are still trying. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:37 AM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Mike - I charge it using regular 110v household. But to Louver’s point, the car sits outside in an unheated garage, so the battery and car is cold through and through. Hopefully when it warms up this spring I’ll see better mileage. Thx all for the feedback!!
Li batteries definitely do not like being charged when cold (or to hot) and the colder less power they will take or deliver, I suspect when spring rolls around your performance will improve.

Living where it can get bitterly cold in the winter, this has been one of my largest concerns with hybrid or electric cars.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:04 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DogWood
Li batteries definitely do not like being charged when cold (or to hot) and the colder less power they will take or deliver, I suspect when spring rolls around your performance will improve.

Living where it can get bitterly cold in the winter, this has been one of my largest concerns with hybrid or electric cars.
... and they take forever to fully charge. (~12-14 hours when it started to get cold here.) Now with the 220v wired into my garage, it takes just over 2.5 hrs to fully charge.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:18 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Interesting. I'm finding that my engine turns on fairly consistently, when the car is cold and I'm leaving the house with a full battery charge, when the temperature is below freezing. In fact, it almost seems to be a figure programmed into the software: the car will stay in all-electric mode if the ambient air temperature is above freezing (32 deg F), and it will turn the ICE on almost immediately when the outside temp is below freezing. My (unheated but attached) garage is almost always above freezing, so the car will go out from the garage in electric mode without ICE on, but if the outside air is quite cold, the ICE comes on within a minute generally. Then, after the car warms up, it seems that the battery will stay warm for quite a while, such that if the engine temp reads above about 150 deg F, the ICE will turn off and stay off. So I was thinking that maybe the battery pack IS somehow heated, from this type of experience. So an example that I posted on another thread: the air temp was 19 deg F, and once the engine warmed to around 155 deg F, the ICE turned off and I drove for several miles in all-electric mode. I got to a store, where I went in for about 10 minutes or so, and when I came back out to my car in the outdoor parking lot, the ICE turned on immediately when I turned on the ignition switch; the engine temp read 133 deg F at that point, having cooled down that much in 10 minutes in the 19-deg outside-air temperature. Within a minute or so, the engine temp climbed again to over 150 deg F, and the ICE turned off promptly, and I drove home on an expressway for several miles in all-electric mode at speeds up to 70 mph, the ICE remaining off until I got home, and the engine temp remaining around 153-155 deg F. So I do have a hunch that the battery pack is heated somehow when driving. Also, I will check more closely in the near future, but I think I"m probably getting no better than about 15 miles of all-electric driving in temps this cold.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:22 AM
Sulaiman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hello
i have set my ambient lighting in the car ... the problem is every time I have to set it again ? it seems that it's not saving the setting for the ambient lightning ... or I'm doing something wrong?
as I'm tying now .. it came to my mind maybe it has to be saved with the seat memory ??? could that be the case?

1 more thing
E-Mode the car feel faster after 70km/h why is that?

thanks
Old 01-19-2019, 01:45 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulaiman
hello
i have set my ambient lighting in the car ... the problem is every time I have to set it again ? it seems that it's not saving the setting for the ambient lightning ... or I'm doing something wrong?
as I'm tying now .. it came to my mind maybe it has to be saved with the seat memory ??? could that be the case?

1 more thing
E-Mode the car feel faster after 70km/h why is that?

thanks
Every adjustable parameter has to be memorised after changing with usually a number and a key or it will reset after every start. Another Porsche featurette, as they used to be called on Microsoft Software.

Wilson

PS I also find the ICE fires up if the ambient is below 0ºC, when starting off.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:29 PM
Taxdr1965
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cometguy
Interesting. I'm finding that my engine turns on fairly consistently, when the car is cold and I'm leaving the house with a full battery charge, when the temperature is below freezing. In fact, it almost seems to be a figure programmed into the software: the car will stay in all-electric mode if the ambient air temperature is above freezing (32 deg F), and it will turn the ICE on almost immediately when the outside temp is below freezing. My (unheated but attached) garage is almost always above freezing, so the car will go out from the garage in electric mode without ICE on, but if the outside air is quite cold, the ICE comes on within a minute generally. Then, after the car warms up, it seems that the battery will stay warm for quite a while, such that if the engine temp reads above about 150 deg F, the ICE will turn off and stay off. So I was thinking that maybe the battery pack IS somehow heated, from this type of experience. So an example that I posted on another thread: the air temp was 19 deg F, and once the engine warmed to around 155 deg F, the ICE turned off and I drove for several miles in all-electric mode. I got to a store, where I went in for about 10 minutes or so, and when I came back out to my car in the outdoor parking lot, the ICE turned on immediately when I turned on the ignition switch; the engine temp read 133 deg F at that point, having cooled down that much in 10 minutes in the 19-deg outside-air temperature. Within a minute or so, the engine temp climbed again to over 150 deg F, and the ICE turned off promptly, and I drove home on an expressway for several miles in all-electric mode at speeds up to 70 mph, the ICE remaining off until I got home, and the engine temp remaining around 153-155 deg F. So I do have a hunch that the battery pack is heated somehow when driving. Also, I will check more closely in the near future, but I think I"m probably getting no better than about 15 miles of all-electric driving in temps this cold.
i have the same exact experience
Old 01-19-2019, 07:42 PM
pietpara
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,
I have my Panny since November, so I have only experience with relatively cold weather, but I have yet to see my electric mileage go over 20 miles (32km) on a full charge. However, if I turn off the heater/fan, then this number increases to 24 miles (38km).
Nevertheless, I feel that the actual range is even less. Usually in the first mile the charge drops by a few miles.
However, as Rsyed shows above here with the pic, even in cold weather it is possible to reach approx 28 miles (44km). I'm amazed and would not know how to achieve this. My car also never fully charges and says that there is still 10 minutes to full charge.... forever.
I've tried driving with heater off in this weather but apart from windows mistying up, it's too cold for me. :-)

Which also makes me wonder, is the heating only on electric even when ICE kicks in? You'd expect that once ICE is warm, the heating comes from there to save electricity, but that doesn't seem to happen.
Cheers!
Old 01-19-2019, 08:00 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Have to say this banter over 8 miles is ridiculous. In a few years this battery mileage and several hundred pounds of battery will be obsolete. Don’t you all realize this fact?
Old 01-20-2019, 01:09 PM
Rupdog
AutoX

Default New Winter Wheels

acid green v black gloss

Winter tyres look bigger in arches - now looks like a proper (near) supercar
OK - following our discussion I bit the bullet and ordered 21” RS Spyder rims in black gloss with Pirelli Sottozero 2’s - really full the arches and I feel like I’ve bought a new car - I think they really suit Carrara White with the blacked windows roof and spoilers (I’m not even sure if I can change back to Turbo wheels now!) - what do you think - is this the ultimate scheme for the Panam Tourismo?

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread