Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 09:12 AM
Taxdr1965
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I install level 2 charger. How fast will battery charge? I don’t have the optional 7.4 charger on my car. Does anyone know if they make a dual charger as I also have a Honda clarity to charge as well..
Old 01-02-2019, 05:00 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxdr1965
If I install level 2 charger. How fast will battery charge? I don’t have the optional 7.4 charger on my car. Does anyone know if they make a dual charger as I also have a Honda clarity to charge as well..
I think all Panamera 4 E-Hybrid cars are capable of being charged at 7.2/7.4 kW/H, certainly for those cars sold in Europe. The charge rate (3kW/h or 7.2kW/H) is dependant on the charger and its mains supply rather than the car. In 230 volt Europe, we can, as I do, have a 32 amp mains supply to the Porsche universal charger, where then you can opt to have this charge at 7.2kW/H (this shows as 100% charge rate on the charger's LCD window). I would speak to your local charger installer to get him to install one suitable for both vehicles. Then if he gets it wrong, it is his dollar to put it right not yours. If you are using a 110V supply, I think you would have to use a three phase supply to get the 7.2kW/H rate, which your house may or may not have. Many US houses also now have a 230V supply for things like washing machines and dryers. In the UK I only have single phase 230V supply, as each of the three rural houses that get their supply from a mini sub-station, each get one phase of the three phase supply to the station. In France I have a 440V three phase 4 wire "Y" type supply (three phases of 230V each), as when the house was built in 1972, the swimming pool pump motor and boiler burner motor were three phase. As these have been replaced over the years, they are now single phase. I believe I could if I wanted, buy a three phase 440V mains input lead for the universal charger but for France, I am happy with a 16 amp 230V supply to charge at 3kW/H.

Wilson
Old 01-02-2019, 11:35 AM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rsyed
I think the e-sound is only available in certain regions of the world where cars have to make a sound to warn others. For example, in Austria we just passed a law that as of 2019, e-cars have to make a warning sound at low speeds.
Exactly as reported by my sales rep. Too bad it's not active in North America, I would be curious to hear what it sounds like.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:03 PM
Rupdog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tyres

QQ fellow drivers - tyres a little shredded (no idea why) and going into a UK winter with the beast from the east approaching - should I suck it up and get winters or source out All Seasons for this car (2018 4 Sport Tourismo E Hybrid) - struggled today as Michelin seem to have sold out all over and only other option may be Pirelli - may end up just hoping for mild winter with the odd blip.. and simply take the regular tyres again. Otherwise I'll have too buy 8 tyres and possibly 4 rims within about 4 months! btw 21" atm front and rear with the typical width differential and N Zero rate. Thanks folks.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:02 PM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Rupdog
QQ fellow drivers - tyres a little shredded (no idea why) and going into a UK winter with the beast from the east approaching - should I suck it up and get winters or source out All Seasons for this car (2018 4 Sport Tourismo E Hybrid) - struggled today as Michelin seem to have sold out all over and only other option may be Pirelli - may end up just hoping for mild winter with the odd blip.. and simply take the regular tyres again. Otherwise I'll have too buy 8 tyres and possibly 4 rims within about 4 months! btw 21" atm front and rear with the typical width differential and N Zero rate. Thanks folks.
if you are looking for a set of 21" OEM winter alloys (different offset to the summer alloys to accommodate for the OEM chains), I have a set for sale. It has a set of new summer tires on them but I don't mind selling seperately. Probably could even get you matching winter tires.

PM me if you are interested. (Shipping to the UK should be no problem if done before 29th March) :-)
Old 01-03-2019, 06:19 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

It is great pity that Bridgestone don't make "N" homologated tyres in the 21 x 315-30 and 275-35 in either their RE 050 or RE020 Potenza range. I used these for about 8 years on the 19" wheels on my 997 Turbo S. They work surprisingly well in snow and ice and I was able to get out of the steep entrance from our drive onto the main road in quite deep snow, when my neighbours were struggling in their Land Rover Freelander. I had previously had Michelin Pilot Sports on the 997, which were plain dangerous when the temperature got anywhere near 0º - rock hard ride and zero grip. The Pirelli's fitted to the Panamera are nothing like as bad as the Michelin (the newer Pilot Sport 4's may now be a bit better) and I used them quite happily in last year's Beast from the East but I would replace the Pirellis when they are worn, with the Bridgestones, if they become available.

I briefly used a Michelin Cross Climate all-weather tyre on the back wheel of my modern Morgan Three wheeler a couple of years ago. It may be coincidence but I had two punctures in 3 weeks and a puncture on the Morgan is a total pain, as you have to disassemble the entire rear drive train to remove the central back wheel. The second puncture was not repairable, so I reverted to the original fitment of a Yokohama summer tyre, after which I had no further punctures.

Wilson
Old 01-03-2019, 06:39 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just changed my tyres, didn't bother with winters.
It coped last year, as did my biz partners with same tyres.
We were both happy with how with how it managed, even going past people who where struggling.

On our S E-Hybrids previously, we put winter tyres on, but mainly for the cold tarmac rather than for possibility of snow.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:34 AM
Rupdog
AutoX

Originally Posted by rsyed

if you are looking for a set of 21" OEM winter alloys (different offset to the summer alloys to accommodate for the OEM chains), I have a set for sale. It has a set of new summer tires on them but I don't mind selling seperately. Probably could even get you matching winter tires.

PM me if you are interested. (Shipping to the UK should be no problem if done before 29th March) :-)

had a quick look and tbh the price is prohibitive - thx anyway 🙂
Old 01-03-2019, 07:37 AM
Rupdog
AutoX

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
It is great pity that Bridgestone don't make "N" homologated tyres in the 21 x 315-30 and 275-35 in either their RE 050 or RE020 Potenza range. I used these for about 8 years on the 19" wheels on my 997 Turbo S. They work surprisingly well in snow and ice and I was able to get out of the steep entrance from our drive onto the main road in quite deep snow, when my neighbours were struggling in their Land Rover Freelander. I had previously had Michelin Pilot Sports on the 997, which were plain dangerous when the temperature got anywhere near 0º - rock hard ride and zero grip. The Pirelli's fitted to the Panamera are nothing like as bad as the Michelin (the newer Pilot Sport 4's may now be a bit better) and I used them quite happily in last year's Beast from the East but I would replace the Pirellis when they are worn, with the Bridgestones, if they become available.

I briefly used a Michelin Cross Climate all-weather tyre on the back wheel of my modern Morgan Three wheeler a couple of years ago. It may be coincidence but I had two punctures in 3 weeks and a puncture on the Morgan is a total pain, as you have to disassemble the entire rear drive train to remove the central back wheel. The second puncture was not repairable, so I reverted to the original fitment of a Yokohama summer tyre, after which I had no further punctures.

Wilson
thx Wilson. I imagine Porsche loaded tyre manus just don’t see a decent enough market because we tend not to have more than short bursts of harsh weather. I’m out in the sticks tho with around 5 miles of untreated roads - so I’ll keep thinking 🤔
r
Old 01-03-2019, 07:39 AM
Rupdog
AutoX

Originally Posted by K777
Just changed my tyres, didn't bother with winters.
It coped last year, as did my biz partners with same tyres.
We were both happy with how with how it managed, even going past people who where struggling.

On our S E-Hybrids previously, we put winter tyres on, but mainly for the cold tarmac rather than for possibility of snow.
thx K777, I’m pretty remote on **** roads - May give the ‘tyre hotel’ idea a chance otherwise appreciate that so called summer tyres for the majority are actually no such thing.. for the UK it’s a bit of good marketing
r
Old 01-03-2019, 08:22 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

thx K777, I’m pretty remote on **** roads - May give the ‘tyre hotel’ idea a chance otherwise appreciate that so called summer tyres for the majority are actually no such thing.. for the UK it’s a bit of good marketing
r
Ah, I'm north Leeds, busses usually stop near us but mostly roads are treated, but for sure if I was in the styx I wouldn't take it out in snow like we had last year.

One reason we didn't bother last year was (as I recall) only one supplier did our staggered sizes tyres N rated, and they were extortionate, plus factoring in the £100+vat for swapping a set of tyres x2
On the previous cars, the winters did make a difference on cold tarmac though. We paid £800+vat and have just sold them for £250 per set, with about 4mm on.

I guess if tyres in this size were readily available and reasonable price, probably I would go for it myself. Curbing a wheel is expensive !

Trouble with me is, I am MCIPS, so professionally tight. (and from Yorkshire too lol)

Old 01-03-2019, 03:39 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

My 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid came with the Pirelli All Season tires (not the PZeros) mounted on my 21" wheels and they have been great. I have a little over 5K miles on them and no visible wear at all. When I went to the Porsche Experience Center in LA and drove their Panamera 4 E-Hybrid on the track and in the wet sliding portions, the tires on their car were the same All Season and they performed excellent. I asked the instructor why they didn't use the PZero tires and his response was they would have to change the PZero tires every month or less and the handling differences were not that substantial. Further he said the All Season Priellis were much better in the wet sections. I don't get snow where I live but these may be a good solution for you.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:38 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

The Pirelli all season (either Cinturato or Scorpion Verde) do not seem to be available in the UK in 21" x 275/35 and 315/30 sizes for the Panamera, otherwise I would probably fit those when I next need tyres in a few months.

Wilson

PS I suspect that our US friends get considerably better tyre/tire mileages that we do in Europe, due to a far higher proportion of their driving being on straight lines on multi-lane highways and mostly stop signs rather than roundabouts. This would be especially true in the UK with our national network of potholed sheep tracks. So far I have lost two front Panamera tyres due to potholes, which of course is then a 3+ hour wait to be recovered and then a 1 to 2 day wait for a new tyre to be delivered to the Porsche dealer. W

Last edited by Wilson Laidlaw; 01-04-2019 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:27 AM
Rupdog
AutoX

yep sheep tracks here in NI and holes everywhere - very little straight line driving as you say and I can't find those All Seasons in UK so guess can't get. Porsche dealer is offering up 2 x options of Winters with either 20 or 21" rims (aesthetically better with 21" but more dolla) - may suck it up tho

Actually my usual tyre dealer had a good idea - said go and buy a Subaru Impreza WRX 10 yr old at £3000 then have someone crash into that instead - he probably rightly thinks its the idiots around you are the risk!!

Food for thought - had a 3 litre sports touring Legacy and it was class (also had a Turbo Forester which was like a hearse with a rocket attached - likewise big fan) so food for thought eh?

R
Old 01-04-2019, 01:14 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season 21" Tires

I guess I don't understand why these tires would not be available in Europe?? These came stock on my E-Hybrid.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread