Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 03:00 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a few questions about the charging setups. Mine will be outdoors, and my car is about 75 ft away from the circuit breaker. I know, it's super far and will probably cost 1-2k to install an outlet nearby.

Then I stumbled upon a Nema 14-50 extension cord on Amazon. I ordered the Nema 14-50 cord and the 25ft vehicle cable with my car.

I know Porsche says not to use them, but many Tesla owners used it even though Tesla says don't, and they've had no problems. It has five stars and 1672 reviews on Amazon.

Should I buy the Porsche Charging Dock for the Universal Charger if I'm using the car outside? Is it safer and harder to steal? Is it the best way to organize the cable (by wrapping it around), instead of having dangle off a garden hose type thing, with the plug attached separately and the charger on the basic mount?

Could I theoretically funnel the extension cord inside the box so it connects the the charger, then funnel it back out the same hole the charging cable comes out of, on the bottom? I remember seeing someone do this on here.

Also, what are the dimensions of this $400 box? It seems to protrude quite a bit out, and of course doesn't feature a paintable face plate so I could match it to my house, but I feel like the charger would be better protected from the elements.

Sorry for all the questions. I'd really appreciate some help.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:33 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting mention in this article that two-thirds of Euro Panameras are the E-Hybrid. Anyone know what the US proportion is?
Old 09-27-2018, 12:28 AM
Galavanta
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally received my 2nd 971 Panamera, I told the local dealership not to touch it because I didn't want the dealer installed swirl marks :-)

Old 09-27-2018, 12:54 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Galavanta
Finally received my 2nd 971 Panamera, I told the local dealership not to touch it because I didn't want the dealer installed swirl marks :-)

Haha that's awesome. Did they really allow you to take it home that way?!

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 09-27-2018, 02:19 PM
Galavanta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WheelsB
Haha that's awesome. Did they really allow you to take it home that way?!
Yeah they did :-) this picture is taken in my driveway as soon as I got home, I have to say they weren't keen but my local guys are awesome.
This picture is in the dealership, I bet this type of delivery doesn't happen every day

Old 09-27-2018, 04:51 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett - 1996 C4
Interesting mention in this article that two-thirds of Euro Panameras are the E-Hybrid. Anyone know what the US proportion is?
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...es-on-new-wltp

“Porsche has pulled sales of its plug-in hybrid Panamera sedan and Cayenne SUV. "We will not start taking orders again until the cars are being built, the timing of which has not yet been confirmed," a spokesman said.”

When I saw that stat in another publication, the first question that came to mind was “what is the denominator?”. If you are selling 50 cars over a given period and 2/3rd are e-hybrid, well it’s not that impressive. The e-hybrid Panamera is a very niche car and an expensive one which is going to conspire to reduce the size of the total market. With the news today that Porsche, BMW, and others have stopped selling plug-in hybrids because of a change in the regulatory framework that is excluding them from tax incentives, one has to conclude that the plug-in hybrid market for Porsche is pretty small. If it were significant in size, I find it hard to believe they would just stop selling the vehicles altogether.

I’m watching this with increasing confidence in the hypothesis that Porsche (VAG in general) isn’t that interested in hybrids as a strategic product initiative. If the Taycan platform is where all effort is being made, this will result in the Porsche hybrids getting shelved. The company has already said that they want to be 100% electric by 2027. I had a Panamera Turbo S E-hybrid Sport Turismo on order but canceled it because of a model year issue with Porsche (I didn’t want to take a 2018 model year delivery in January 2019). I anticipated placing a new order when the 2019 cars are announced but now I’m thinking that waiting them out is what I will do. These e-hybrid vehicles are incredibly complicated and the last thing I want to deal with is a platform of this complexity that is end of lifed.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:21 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Porsche has sold 1226 units of the Panamera E-Hybrid in the USA from January to August 2018.
https://insideevs.com/august-2018-pl...s-report-card/

The way that article was written about Porsche pulling sales of E-Hybrids, it's not clear if it means only European orders or orders outside of Europe as well...

Last edited by cometguy; 09-28-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:56 AM
ReinoudW
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some local information on the article, based on personal experience. I am a Panamera owner in the Netherlands and (as posted some time ago in this thread) just ordered a new Panamera Sport Turismo E-Hybrid. In the Netherlands, due to WLTP, sales of newly configured cars have been suspended for some time, just before the summer. Quite a number of pre-ordered cars have been produced by Porsche and these are on sale now for people that do not want to wait for registration under the new WLTP rules (and want pricing based on NEDC). This applies to all Porsches by the way, not just the hybrid models. In the meantime, however, sales have resumed and it is possible to configure and order a new car, as I did end of August (even though the Porsche website indicates that this is not possible). The caveat is that the price of the car, which is influenced by tax related to CO2 exhaust, is not yet final. In addition, production will only start once WLTP certification and a definite price is there, and it is uncertain when this will happen. The tentative date of delivery of my new car is March 2019.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:42 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

In your build confirmation, what is the model year of the car you ordered? I have been watching this closely for an official announcement of 2019 model year production but nothing from Porsche. The media coverage focused on press cars and vague statements about planned production.

Originally Posted by ReinoudW
I have some local information on the article, based on personal experience. I am a Panamera owner in the Netherlands and (as posted some time ago in this thread) just ordered a new Panamera Sport Turismo E-Hybrid. In the Netherlands, due to WLTP, sales of newly configured cars have been suspended for some time, just before the summer. Quite a number of pre-ordered cars have been produced by Porsche and these are on sale now for people that do not want to wait for registration under the new WLTP rules (and want pricing based on NEDC). This applies to all Porsches by the way, not just the hybrid models. In the meantime, however, sales have resumed and it is possible to configure and order a new car, as I did end of August (even though the Porsche website indicates that this is not possible). The caveat is that the price of the car, which is influenced by tax related to CO2 exhaust, is not yet final. In addition, production will only start once WLTP certification and a definite price is there, and it is uncertain when this will happen. The tentative date of delivery of my new car is March 2019.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:40 PM
bosch
Advanced

Originally Posted by Galavanta
Yeah they did :-) this picture is taken in my driveway as soon as I got home, I have to say they weren't keen but my local guys are awesome.
This picture is in the dealership, I bet this type of delivery doesn't happen every day

The same place I picked my car. haha

Old 09-28-2018, 03:50 PM
Galavanta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bosch
The same place I picked my car. haha
Thats too funny, same angle too
Old 09-28-2018, 04:36 PM
ReinoudW
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
In your build confirmation, what is the model year of the car you ordered? I have been watching this closely for an official announcement of 2019 model year production but nothing from Porsche. The media coverage focused on press cars and vague statements about planned production.

The order states MJ2019 WLTP.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:37 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...es-on-new-wltp

“Porsche has pulled sales of its plug-in hybrid Panamera sedan and Cayenne SUV. "We will not start taking orders again until the cars are being built, the timing of which has not yet been confirmed," a spokesman said.”

I’m watching this with increasing confidence in the hypothesis that Porsche (VAG in general) isn’t that interested in hybrids as a strategic product initiative. If the Taycan platform is where all effort is being made, this will result in the Porsche hybrids getting shelved. The company has already said that they want to be 100% electric by 2027. These e-hybrid vehicles are incredibly complicated and the last thing I want to deal with is a platform of this complexity that is end of lifed.
Thanks for posting that link. I'm debating between the hybrid ST or (assuming Porsche proceeds to production) Cross Turismo. I'm a little hesitant on the hybrid, as a bigger battery than the current model would be nice for more extended around-town trips on battery only while still having longer range with the IC engine.

OTOH, that 2027 all-electric timeline seems really aggressive. Really, Porsche will be phasing out ALL of their IC cars in less than 10 years? No more GT3's, Turbos, etc? Porsche is committing to installing 800V chargers at every track in the US? Not to mention the thousands of other places all over the country they'd need to set these up.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:18 AM
ssiminou
Banned

The configurator for the Hybrid Executives still shows a MY18. I too wanted to get a MY19 but my SA said it would arrive around March-April, and the fact that you're order as of now would still be a 2018 probably means it could come even later. Anyways, my car is on the Pegasus Highway with a PEC LA Delivery set for 10/25. I'll probably own this car for around three years, then go ahead and get into a Taycan. I kinda wanted this as a stepping stone because the car gives you so many choices depending on your driving style and the way you feel.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:51 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Pana TJ, could you please do me a big favor to relieve me of some anxiety? I see from your code that you optioned "3Y8", which are the shades for the rear compartment and the rear windows. From photos, I saw that your car has this. I selected this too, and it's on my code and my printed configuration, but on the dealer build sheet which is separate from the code (it lists the VIN and the dealers name, etc), for option 3Y8 only says "Power Sunshades for Rear Compartment". At the time, I emailed him and told him to triple check this, because I only cared about the window shades, but since it's on a boat, I can't verify these things for myself through real life photos of the car. He said his gm said it's not necessary on the order because it's included. Thinking back, I'm not sure if he meant that it's included in that particular options, or included as in "standard".

I'm asking you because you're the only one with an executive hybrid, and it appears that there are two options for shades in the other cars.

Is there anyway you can take a look at your real build sheet (with the commission number) and see what it says? If my car doesn't have it on delivery day, I won't take the keys. That's how much this matters to me.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread