Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 01:59 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Clandrel
WOW!

That looks fantastic! Do you know if the rim is wider on the Turbo hybrid? The rear tyre on the normal hybrid is 315.

Best

/C
The original tire was 315 30R21 but in the manual (and friend at Porsche) recommended the new tire with 325 rears. Looks great, drives even better. Great upgrade.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:36 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

So I'm at 1100 miles on the odometer in my new ST E-Hybrid, and I have used only 1.4 tanks of gas, for something like 37.4 mpg since mile 11 (kilometer 18) on the odometer.
Today I drove to my office and back, starting on a full charge, for the 26 miles (42 km) roundtrip, keeping it in E-Power the entire time. My drive via expressway (which I take when the traffic is light, like today) is 6-7 total miles (10-11 km) of city streets and 19-20 miles (31-32 km) of expressway. The expressway trip is very hilly -- one of the hills being a long, rather steep 1.5 miles (which eats close to 25% of the battery capacity when going uphill on the way home). So I'm very impressed that I got 25 miles (40 km) of all-electric, with the ICE kicking in only a mile from home; I had the AC on most of the time. If I had a flat travel path, I'm pretty sure I'd be close to 30 miles (48 km) of range on days like today, which is close to what Porsche advertises. And I drove generally 65-70 mph on the expressway. I'm very pleased at this.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:01 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

The technology is pretty terrific. I am also very impressed.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:21 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

https://insideevs.com/see-porsche-pa...n-911-turbo-s/

DragTimes recently tested the Porsche Panamera plug-in hybrid in its top of the line version, Turbo S E-Hybrid, on a drag strip.

As its turns out, the result of 11.21 seconds @ 122.97 mph was far from making DragTimes impressed. It needs to be even quicker, so DragTimes. It is a big old family sedan though, so blazing performance shoudn’t really be expected.Otherwise, it’s an excellent plug-in hybrid for under $200,000 and taking into consideration how sales increased after the new version hit the U.S. market, there are plenty of consumers happy with the specs and its performance.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:49 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

The dual current Porsche Universal Charger seems to have a particularly tiny brain and it is getting the charge rates wrong.

When I am in the UK, I use a 32 Amp/230V charging socket with the Porsche supplied 32 Amp blue commando plug cable attached to the charger. The charger always defaults to the 50% charge rate, which I then have to alter manually on the charger to 100%. every single time

In France I am using the UK 13 Amp Porsche supplied cable on the charger, connected into my 220 V house supply at a 16 French Amp socket but via an adapter extension cable (UK socket - French Plug). The extension cable has a earth leakage residual current device (RCD) and 13 amp trip on it. I wondered why the trip kept tripping especially on hot days. I checked the charge rate and found to my amazement, that when you connect the low current 13 Amp cable to the charger, it opts as a default to 100% charge rate, so no wonder that the trip kept stopping the supply and I had thought the charge times seemed very short. I disconnected everything and tried again and sure enough, the universal charger defaulted to a 100% charge rate. In other words the charger is defaulting completely the wrong way round. It should be low current (13 Amps) mains input cable - default to 50% rate: High current cable (32 Amps), default to 100% charge rate and it is completely opposite to that. I better advise Porsche as this is a fire risk for the supply cabling in the house.

Last edited by Wilson Laidlaw; 06-20-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:57 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
The dual current Porsche Universal Charger seems to have a particularly tiny brain and it is getting the charge rates wrong.

When I am in the UK, I use a 32 Amp/230V charging socket with the Porsche supplied 32 Amp blue commando plug cable attached to the charger. The charger always defaults to the 50% charge rate, which I then have to alter manually on the charger to 100%. every single time
I use the Porsche supplied charger at work, 32amp/ 240v - never had a problem with mine. always charging at 100%.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by K777
I use the Porsche supplied charger at work, 32amp/ 240v - never had a problem with mine. always charging at 100%.
Looks like a fault with my Universal Charger then. Thanks for letting me know that yours works differently. Is your 32 amp outlet just a socket or one of the car charger outlets? If the latter, I wonder if they send a code to the Universal charger to let it know it is connected to a 32A supply. My supply in the UK is just a regular mechanically interlocked 32 A commando socket, where you can only switch it on if a plug is inserted and can only remove the plug, if you have switched off but apart from that it is a dumb socket.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:02 AM
K777
Racer

I will have to ask my guy who installed it to explain the exact connection.

I don't switch the unit on or off, its permanently on. Where the blue plug connects there isn't a switch on that connection.
The charger (actually 2 -my biz partners too) are in an electrical housing which is closed. The wire to the car comes out of the cabinet and hooked up until I literally take it of the hook and plug it in to the car.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:08 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

So if I understand correctly, you are using something like a public charger or the chargers at Porsche dealers with a type 2 plug on it, which you plug directly into your Panamera. In other words you are not using the the Porsche supplied universal charger that came with your car in the black zip up bag. That is the bit that I think is not working properly on my car and is defaulting to the wrong charge rate - 50% for a 32 amp connection and 100% for a 13 amp connection, when it should be the other way round. I am assuming that 50% charge rate, shown in the little window on the front of the Universal charger is 3kW/H and 100% is 7.2 kW/H.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:34 AM
K777
Racer

So if I understand correctly, you are using something like a public charger or the chargers at Porsche dealers with a type 2 plug on it, which you plug directly into your Panamera. In other words you are not using the the Porsche supplied universal charger that came with your car in the black zip up bag. That is the bit that I think is not working properly on my car and is defaulting to the wrong charge rate - 50% for a 32 amp connection and 100% for a 13 amp connection, when it should be the other way round. I am assuming that 50% charge rate, shown in the little window on the front of the Universal charger is 3kW/H and 100% is 7.2 kW/H.
of course I am using the Porsche charger ?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:38 AM
K777
Racer

I will check with my engineer when he's available, perhaps its only using 16amp?
Old 06-21-2018, 11:10 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Thanks. I thought you meant you had one of these (above), which either you or your business partners could use. I think the guts are the same but they are just permanently wired to mains. There are two versions, the wall mounted as in my photo above or with an integral pillar, which is the one you often see at dealers. I think my dealer has two in the showroom (one of which always seemed to be plugged into their 918) and when I was last there in April, they had one outside but were considering adding more outside.

The photo you show is a very similar plug/socket to the one I use at my house in the UK, but mine has a switch off to one side - see photo 2
Old 06-21-2018, 12:02 PM
K777
Racer

Thanks. I thought you meant you had one of these (above), which either you or your business partners could use. I think the guts are the same but they are just permanently wired to mains. There are two versions, the wall mounted as in my photo above or with an integral pillar, which is the one you often see at dealers. I think my dealer has two in the showroom (one of which always seemed to be plugged into their 918) and when I was last there in April, they had one outside but were considering adding more outside.

The photo you show is a very similar plug/socket to the one I use at my house in the UK, but mine has a switch off to one side - see photo 2
Ours are just the sockets, there's no switch as you can see.
The supply is actually split from our 3phase supply, into two 1ph supplies. it is 16amp.
He said something about our distribution board, as our incoming supply is actually 63amp.
They were originally installed for the SE Hybrids we had, which maybe couldn't handle 32amp, I don't recall.

Anyway, I suppose it doesn't help in your case to find out whats actually going on with your unit.

I am pretty sure the wall mounted one in your pic, is effectively a charger unit housed in a fancy housing from Porsche. Nice looking. As I recall when ordering my first SE Hybrid, they wanted quite a lot per unit, plus had to be installed (oddly) by British Gas as I recall. So having a qualified guy working for us, we just went a cheaper route.

Just as a side for other Hybrid owners, whilst on chargers, I bought an after market charger to leave at home. Fraction of the price of a second Porsche unit.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:48 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

I now understand. If your incoming supply is 3 phase 63 amp, that would be three single phase supplies at a maximum of 21 amps each, so 2 x 32 amp single phase supplies would not be possible. In my UK house I have 100 amp single phase supply, so I had a 32 amp 230V supply direct off from the main fuse box, all done by our usual local electrician. I really don't know what I have at my French house. I know I have three phase incoming, as the old swimming pool circulation pump was three phase and it is a massively thick cable (about 3 to 4cm diameter) and unlike many French houses, I can run the dishwasher, clothes washer and tumble drier all at the same time. I suppose I should go and look at my meter in the road about 200 meters away from the house and see if the fuse rating is marked on it for each phase.

I am looking at getting my local French electrician to install a more conveniently located outside plug than the one I have, with a trench dug for the cable and the socket mounted on a concrete post. Whether we go 13 amp british socket or 32 amp European blue commando socket (other than France which of course uses something totally different for 30 amps with round power pins and a flat earth pin) depends on the single phase limit for the house and how thick a cable can be fed through the conduit piping from the manhole cover in the grounds to the main electric cabinet in my cellar.

The alternative is to do like you have and buy another charger like this https://www.amazon.fr/Chargeur-porta.../dp/B0779FNNH6 My only concern would be invalidating the warranty on the battery, if there was a problem. I would then leave my Porsche Universal charger in the UK and mount it on the supplied wall bracket. As long as you leave the power connected on the 32 Amp supply, it remembers it is supposed to charge at 100%. However as it is outside, I prefer to turn it off if rain is forecast.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:03 AM
K777
Racer

I now understand. If your incoming supply is 3 phase 63 amp, that would be three single phase supplies at a maximum of 21 amps each, so 2 x 32 amp single phase supplies would not be possible. In my UK house I have 100 amp single phase supply, so I had a 32 amp 230V supply direct off from the main fuse box, all done by our usual local electrician. I really don't know what I have at my French house. I know I have three phase incoming, as the old swimming pool circulation pump was three phase and it is a massively thick cable (about 3 to 4cm diameter) and unlike many French houses, I can run the dishwasher, clothes washer and tumble drier all at the same time. I suppose I should go and look at my meter in the road about 200 meters away from the house and see if the fuse rating is marked on it for each phase.

I am looking at getting my local French electrician to install a more conveniently located outside plug than the one I have, with a trench dug for the cable and the socket mounted on a concrete post. Whether we go 13 amp british socket or 32 amp European blue commando socket (other than France which of course uses something totally different for 30 amps with round power pins and a flat earth pin) depends on the single phase limit for the house and how thick a cable can be fed through the conduit piping from the manhole cover in the grounds to the main electric cabinet in my cellar.

The alternative is to do like you have and buy another charger like this https://www.amazon.fr/Chargeur-porta.../dp/B0779FNNH6 My only concern would be invalidating the warranty on the battery, if there was a problem. I would then leave my Porsche Universal charger in the UK and mount it on the supplied wall bracket. As long as you leave the power connected on the 32 Amp supply, it remembers it is supposed to charge at 100%. However as it is outside, I prefer to turn it off if rain is forecast.
We bought 2 from here https://evconnectors.com/ev-plug-por...a-s-phev-cable - We bought for our S E-Hybrids, 3 years ago and still use on the 4 Hybrids.

Because only the wire is outside on mine I have left mine charging in the rain and snow. Turn it off if maybe there's a thunder storm due.
In the past at a previous house I have used the Porsche one and the aftermarket one and just nudged the unit under the car incase it rained, as I couldn't always get my car near the garage (kids with cars etc), I even ran a 13amp rated extension cable, until I had an outside socket put in at the front of the house.

My biz partner had a new battery, and at the time we were concerned about the aftermarket charger, but they didn't ask, we didn't tell.
They have both been fine on all 4 cars. ( 2x S-EH and 2x 4- EH)
I wouldn't worry to much.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread