Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 05:05 PM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Get 5 gallons of heavy water from a decommissioned nuclear reactor in Germany. 2. Have any of the local breweries in Leipzig make beer with it. 3. Replace your battery coolant with the resulting “heavy” beer. 4. You will achieve 31 miles of range.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:22 AM
tp81
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How do you manage to up the range?
Old 05-21-2018, 05:27 AM
tp81
Instructor

Picked up my car last week, really enjoying the change. Very much a relaxed drive in comparison to my M5. I will try and aim to run the car in sympathetically as recommended in the manual, my salesman suggested I shouldn't need to.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:36 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Your Pananmera looks in virtually identical spec to mine. I see you have the same problem too - suddenly all parking spaces seem too narrow. Back in March I was trying to park in the Churchill Square car park in Brighton (UK) and could not find any space wide enough to let me get out of the door. In the end I had to leave it with the splogers for a clean, which to be fair, living up 1/2 a mile of farm road, it badly needed anyway.

Wilson
Old 05-21-2018, 05:40 AM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tp81
How do you manage to up the range?
i was getting 27-28 until I switched to a 220v 50amp feed. That may not be what did it but that’s all that changed.

Last edited by James Walker; 06-01-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:15 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by James Walker

i was getting 27-28 until I switched to a 229v 50amp feed. That may not becwhat did it but that’s all that changed.
I don't think it is the charge rate as mine has gone the other way. It has gone from 21 miles in the UK on a 230V 32 Amp (7.2kW/hr rate) supply up to 29 miles in France on a 220V 16 Amp (3kW/hr rate) charge. It seems to have a mind of its own.

Wilson
Old 05-21-2018, 10:02 AM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tp81, the car is stunning!! Congratulations. And, the photography was nice too. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:49 PM
tp81
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
tp81, the car is stunning!! Congratulations. And, the photography was nice too. Good luck.
Thanks
Old 05-21-2018, 03:51 PM
tp81
Instructor

Old 05-21-2018, 08:12 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

So I'm figuring my break-in period, as per the owner's manual (2000 miles/3000 km). I'm going to assume that I'm getting 20 mpg on the ICE engine, from what people have said here, and filling up when the tank gets to 1/4 full. So 20 mpg x 15 gallons = 300 miles, and so seven fill-ups at the 1/4 mark should get me past 2000 miles. I keep records of fill-ups anyway for all our cars with mileage, and I'll do the same with electric charging.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:35 PM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Check Engine light

A few weeks ago we had a flurry of reports here about Check Engine Lights, but most of them were preliminary and we didn't get much follow-up. I am one of those who didn't post much follow-up information, but I am also curious to hear what others of you have been learning on this topic. So, for what it's worth, here is my own follow-up story.

The light on our new 4 E-Hybrid came on originally at 350 miles on the odometer, and I took the car in for service. Two faults were logged as hybrid cooling faults. After two weeks of tinkering with it and consulting with support in Germany the service department replaced temperature sensors and reset the light. I picked up the car, but the next day the light came back on, so I took the car in a second time. Now they have received approval from Porsche to replace the thermo management control unit (whatever that is) and additional sensors. Thus we await parts.

In total we have been without the car for 20 days--and counting--during our eight weeks of ownership. The service people have been very easy to work with, they have kept me updated, and I cannot complain about the treatment. But to have a new car spend so much time in repair is a huge disappointment. Still I am hopeful that once they replace the right part all will be well again.

Please, if others of you have had experience with this or related issues, it would be nice to hear from you.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:43 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by louver
A few weeks ago we had a flurry of reports here about Check Engine Lights, but most of them were preliminary and we didn't get much follow-up. I am one of those who didn't post much follow-up information, but I am also curious to hear what others of you have been learning on this topic. So, for what it's worth, here is my own follow-up story.

The light on our new 4 E-Hybrid came on originally at 350 miles on the odometer, and I took the car in for service. Two faults were logged as hybrid cooling faults. After two weeks of tinkering with it and consulting with support in Germany the service department replaced temperature sensors and reset the light. I picked up the car, but the next day the light came back on, so I took the car in a second time. Now they have received approval from Porsche to replace the thermo management control unit (whatever that is) and additional sensors. Thus we await parts.

In total we have been without the car for 20 days--and counting--during our eight weeks of ownership. The service people have been very easy to work with, they have kept me updated, and I cannot complain about the treatment. But to have a new car spend so much time in repair is a huge disappointment. Still I am hopeful that once they replace the right part all will be well again.

Please, if others of you have had experience with this or related issues, it would be nice to hear from you.
I'm at only 150 miles on my new Pan4 ST E-Hybrid but will be eyeing the next few weeks closely regarding this potential problem.
I'll add to this request: can each of you who have experienced the check-engine-light problem please also note the approximate mileage that this happened to you, and briefly how you were using the electric-motor charging up until then (i.e., how much were you charging it from outlet vs. charging while driving).
Old 05-23-2018, 06:39 PM
sriklin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsyed

theory says that is impossible
You have a 3,6kw charger in your car. If you say you have a efficiency loss while charging of about 20%, you will need for a 14 kWh battery (that we have in our cars) approximately 4,6 hours (14kWh / 3kW). Anything below that means that your battery is not being charged to 100% or you have indeed a 7,2kw charger.
The charger in the car is the bottleneck regardless of what electrical line you install.
Actually, in America, the typical home circuits allow us to add a 220v, 50amp bus to charge our Pana's. With the full 50 amps and the charger set at 100%, my Pana routinely charges in just over 3 hours from total empty..

With regard to the range that the car shows when I start it each day, it appears that "Hal" (the onboard computer), calculates the value based on the charge level, the load, the air temperature and the electrical load at startup. There may be additional variables in the calculation, as well. My car is fully charged every night, and the the numbers very slightly, with lower numbers on the hotter days. If I adjust the HVAC to a more moderate setting, the number increases slightly. The range seems to be a bit of a Goldilocks....the car prefers its weather not too cold and not too hot.

Another thought...perhaps I should rename my onboard computer "Ferdinand"....living in Texas, I could shorten it to just "Ferd", but I would likely hear a spinning whine all fhe from Dr. Porsche's resting place in Germany.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:51 PM
mkke_porsche
6th Gear

Originally Posted by tp81

Love the deleted model designation. Bringing mine into dealer tomorrow to de-badge. Dealer offered to do it for free, said it would take 30 minutes.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:11 PM
mkke_porsche
6th Gear

Originally Posted by cometguy
I'm at only 150 miles on my new Pan4 ST E-Hybrid but will be eyeing the next few weeks closely regarding this potential problem.
I'll add to this request: can each of you who have experienced the check-engine-light problem please also note the approximate mileage that this happened to you, and briefly how you were using the electric-motor charging up until then (i.e., how much were you charging it from outlet vs. charging while driving).
I was one of the original posters on this issue. Light came on day 2, about 100 miles on car. After dealer reset on day 3, light came back on again a day later. Drove the car for four more days, light turned off and never came back on again. Never brought it back to dealer to check logs. Charging was 95% from outlet at home and work. I rarely drive the car on hybrid, as I’m experimenting with cost savings going all electric on this car this month. I have a short enough commute to work. Would love to hear from others if they resolved issue at dealer.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread